Skin Rash

Figment2

DIS Veteran
Okay, not the best subject and I know it has been discussed before but with the search feature down...

The last two times I've been down (Oct. & Dec.), I got an awful rash on my legs. I thought I had read here that it's caused by the sun reflecting off the sidewalks and to use a good sunscreen. Did that both times but still got the rash.

The boards are a great source of information so I know someone will be able to help. I'm heading down the end of February and don't want to go through the red itchy skin thing again.

Thanks in advance.

Cyn

My X got this rash both trips he went on to DW. I asked my Dr about it, and he did say it was from the sun. My X NEVER wears shorts at home. Notsure if its a ref;ection or not, but a sunscren would probably stop it from happening.

This thing has a name. It is Polymorphous Light Eruption. I've pasted in a paragraph here
with a reply given by a dermatologist on a medical forum, it is the best short layman's description I've seen:

"It sounds like you are describing Polymorphous Light Eruption (PMLE), a common allergy to the long waves of ultraviolet light which sunblocks don't block very well, no matter how high the number. This does not increase your risk of skin cancer or lupus, though you should see dermatologist about having a blood test to rule this out, and to learn about preventive measures such as UVA sunscreens, antihistamines, protective clothing, and ultraviolet "hardening" regimens to accustom your skin to sun exposure to a greater extent."

I've got it too, (it's hereditary, BTW) and I prevent it with oral Claritin, plus liberal applications of a sunblock designed to block UVA. The trick is to prevent it, because as you have no doubt discovered, getting rid of it or relieving the itch is well-nigh impossible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter