Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

Is there a rumored timeline on when we think they are aiming to have these open? I would think for sure before Star Wars, but maybe even Toy Story? I wouldn't think they would take too long to build.

My guess is they could be built before TSL opens. Gondola companies are busy building in the summer because that is when the ski resorts need and can have the work done. My guess is WDW will have all the prep work being done this summer and fall, and the gondola company will be working this winter and spring to get it up and running. If the prep work can't be done that fast, or the CBR station can't be finished in time, I'd wager it will be open Spring of 2019. Certainly before SWE opens...

My guess is they could be built before TSL opens. Gondola companies are busy building in the summer because that is when the ski resorts need and can have the work done. My guess is WDW will have all the prep work being done this summer and fall, and the gondola company will be working this winter and spring to get it up and running. If the prep work can't be done that fast, or the CBR station can't be finished in time, I'd wager it will be open Spring of 2019. Certainly before SWE opens...

I am leaning towards Spring 2019. Permits have been filed for work on the turn stations but nothing visible has started yet. They are relative simple structures but I am still skeptical they will all be done, along with all the towers, by this winter.

I am leaning towards Spring 2019. Permits have been filed for work on the turn stations but nothing visible has started yet. They are relative simple structures but I am still skeptical they will all be done, along with all the towers, by this winter.
The more I think about it, the more I think you are correct.

Doubtful...they'd have to staff it and it's very worker intensive. Also, they closed at MK due to cost...this would cost way too much for something that doesn't generate revenue.

Doubtful...they'd have to staff it and it's very worker intensive. Also, they closed at MK due to cost...this would cost way too much for something that doesn't generate revenue.

That's ridiculous. It creates revenue with direct access sales. I demonstrated in the CBR thread that by allowing Disney make a deluxe resort with direct access, it generates $400 million in near immediate revenue. Not to mention price increases at CBR, Pop and AoA due to "direct access". There are many reasons they took the skyway out of MK (and DL), ADA access, maintenance costs, people throwing things out of the gondolas...none of which will apply to this.

We've already covered the math as to the cost savings over the present buses.

The speed in which they make the Gondolas all depends on if Disney can make money from it. Resort buildings and Disney Springs are something that only makes them money if it's built swiftly.

But, Park lands are seemingly done by one turtle and a sloth in a pair of hard hats. Because they know people are going to go to Hollywood whether it's Constructionville or not. Pandora for instance took 6 years to finally finish and open. There like Scrooge Mcduck, Disney only cares about their bank vault.

The longest part is imagine will be building the stations. Foundations for the towers which will carry the cabling could bprobably be put in within no time.

I'd imagine that they will try and get it complete for he opening of Star Wars land

The longest part is imagine will be building the stations. Foundations for the towers which will carry the cabling could bprobably be put in within no time.

I'd imagine that they will try and get it complete for he opening of Star Wars land

Yes, it's believed that it will be complete by the time SWL opens. I would guess Disney would try to get the cabling installed and other mechanics installed during the winter when the gondola companies are less busy.

The most time consuming thing will be the weave of the haul rope. The structures and the tower foundations won't take very long. If it's three lines at suggested, then you have to weave it three times. There are not many people in the world that can do it. I don't imagine there will be more than one for the project which means, the the three haul ropes will be woven one after the other.

If this is part of the sales pitch for the next DVC at Caribbean Beach (which I know is still not fully confirmed) then I would think they would want these done relatively soon to help promote those sales. I think they could be up within 12 months

This is happening. It's not just some rumor. We have permits and pre-construction work has already begun. They can easily run at night. They are run in cities all over the world.

Interesting. That's a lot of ground to cover.

Epcot to CBR to DHS with a link to Pop/AoA. Not that much ground they are all pretty close.

I think you missed what he did there.

On topic, I think these will be neat but I don't think my wife will. I need to read back through the last dozen or so pages of the thread, but plans are still no-AC, right? I would like a transportation option that isn't standing in a deep freeze.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!