Sleeping in a sit n stand stroller?

Julie711

DIS Veteran
Wondering to any one out there that has a sit n stand stroller what you do when the oldest child wants to nap? Our DD is 4yrs and DS will be 12 months on next trip this Nov and wondering how she will fall asleep with no where to rest her head? Any one out there have ideas or whats your tricks?

I've tossed around buying a sit-n-stand, and ended up with a regular double for this exact reason... Still wish I bought the sit-n-stand!

I've thought of, but haven't tried yet... making a Sling (think hammock) for the backseat/platform. Use 2 belts or small straps used for tying down items and sew a continual loop of fabric (think over sized t-shirt sleeve). The fabric loop would need to be large enough to go from the top of the bars for the back rider to the front portion of the rear bench. Put 1 belt through the fabric loop and attach to the stroller just above the back riders "handles" so it can't slide down, and attach the other belt to the opposite end of the fabric loop in front (between the front and back seats) so it can't slide back. The kid would sit on the fabric and lean back on it for support. Slide the bench to the rear of the stroller, put kids feet into the basket area...

Does any of that make sense??? It works... in my head, But like I said... I haven't actually tried it.

It didn't work with DD. Which is why we either use our double or separate umbrella strollers.

We are renting a double for this exact reason! My oldest will nap when out still and I want that option in Disney!

Thanks for replies. DH and myself got the sit n stand versus the double b/c it had a weight limit of 40 pounds, which she is only 37 pounds but we wanted to get use of the stroller so thats why we choose the sit n stand. We never really thought about her falling asleep how that would work. We might try different things like laying a small travel pillow against the bars and if that doesnt work :confused3 then we will have to take 2 different strollers we were just trying to have less with only one.

We had a sit & stand but on my DD's first trip (brother was 5 and she was 2). He didn't nap the entire time we were there. We always made sure to do the slow quiet rides during the times we thought he might be getting tired (Tomorrowland Transit Authority or aka People Mover is a great one!), just so that he could relax & recharge or stop for snacks.
You could also just rent a single stroller while you are there and let her nap in it.

I've tossed around buying a sit-n-stand, and ended up with a regular double for this exact reason... Still wish I bought the sit-n-stand!

I've thought of, but haven't tried yet... making a Sling (think hammock) for the backseat/platform. Use 2 belts or small straps used for tying down items and sew a continual loop of fabric (think over sized t-shirt sleeve). The fabric loop would need to be large enough to go from the top of the bars for the back rider to the front portion of the rear bench. Put 1 belt through the fabric loop and attach to the stroller just above the back riders "handles" so it can't slide down, and attach the other belt to the opposite end of the fabric loop in front (between the front and back seats) so it can't slide back. The kid would sit on the fabric and lean back on it for support. Slide the bench to the rear of the stroller, put kids feet into the basket area...

Does any of that make sense??? It works... in my head, But like I said... I haven't actually tried it.

I was just searching online last night for something like this. I had the same exact idea and I was hoping that I could find some sort of tutorial online, but no luck:( My oldest is 6 so there's no way I'm getting a new stroller when he'll probably only be sitting in it for maybe the last hour each night. He also tends to go to bed fairly early. So I'm pretty sure that he would appreciate having some sort of seat back to lean on. I think I'll play around with some fabric and see if I can come up with something.

Take the 12 month out and carry him in a sling or somesuch, and let the 4 year old nap in his spot.

The 4 year old can nap in the front spot if you're not moving the sit and stroll but when I tried to use a sit and stroll for my DS, he was too heavy to be in the front seat and no one in the back -- the sit and stroll didn't push easily. I bought the sit and stroll second hand so it wasn't too much money to try this out. I ended up using his regular stroller until he was at least 5 years old at theme parks.

For what it's worth, I probably wouldn't bring a sit and stroll to WDW because I think a double stroller would be more comfortable for the child but I see a lot of them there.

Do you want your DS to be able to nap during the day or fall asleep in the evening?? Does he nap now?? If he no longer needs a mid day nap and wants to walk, the sit and stroll might work for you.

We brought our sit n stand on our girls' first trip. Let's just say that the nap part was more of a nightmare. Neither one wanted anything to do with it for nap time. As a result, we rented a City Mini Double on our last trip and it was some of the best $ I've ever spent. We'll be renting again on our next trip.

Really, a 4 year-old will be to excited to nap in a stroller. My son never napped in the stroller even at 3 in a single. Our sit and stand was perfect for our last trip in Jan with a six month old and four year-old. We will be doing it again at 12 months and 5 :)

Here is my 4 year old asleep in our joovy caboose... sorry its gigantic. Tried to resize in photobucket but it obviously didn't work...:confused3

IMAG0196.jpg

Really, a 4 year-old will be to excited to nap in a stroller. My son never napped in the stroller even at 3 in a single. Our sit and stand was perfect for our last trip in Jan with a six month old and four year-old. We will be doing it again at 12 months and 5 :)

She might not nap all the time, but this is her 4th trip so shes excited but not likes its her first time that she feels she needs to be awake for everything. Last May she didnt nap all the time, but did dose off here and there so thinking we should be fine & will just have to make it work b/c I really dont want to take 2 strollers, defets the purpose of spending all the $$ on the sit n stand! Thanks :thumbsup2

Here is my 4 year old asleep in our joovy caboose... sorry its gigantic. Tried to resize in photobucket but it obviously didn't work...:confused3

IMAG0196.jpg

Aw so cute :). Im thinking something like this with propping up a pillow, our bars our on the back against the front seat so thinking I should be able to adjust a pillow there. We dont go till Nov so plenty of time to try some different tricks. :cool1:

102.jpg

When they are tired enough, they will sleep anywhere.

In regard to a PP regarding so many at WDW, I think the Sit N Stand is a great option for those older kids who do not ride in a stroller at home.

102.jpg

In regard to a PP regarding so many at WDW, I think the Sit N Stand is a great option for those older kids who do not ride in a stroller at home.

I agree :thumbsup2 I'm glad you are feeling better about your decision!

102.jpg

This looks just like our stroller and doesnt look that uncomfortable if she leans up against the back of the babies seat with a pillow! . Yes you are right they will sleep anywhere when that tired :lmao:

Resurrecting this thread to see if anyone has any solutions. I have a sit and stand stroller and would also love to make it more comfortable/ nap compatible for the back seat. I'm looking for directions or ideas on something to make, or if there is a product to buy. Some kind of a pillow that is easy to remove and store or carry when we have to fold up the stroller would be great.

I sewed a sling to Velcro around the back of ours. Laying flat it looks like a H, velcros around behind head and lower back. It's as tall as the seat up to under the handlebar to minimize slipping down or scrunching up. $5 for fabric, $5 for 4 large velcro patches, 2 afternoon and nownour big girl will be able to nap in stroller!

I sewed a sling to Velcro around the back of ours. Laying flat it looks like a H, velcros around behind head and lower back. It's as tall as the seat up to under the handlebar to minimize slipping down or scrunching up. $5 for fabric, $5 for 4 large velcro patches, 2 afternoon and nownour big girl will be able to nap in stroller!
Cool! Can you post a pic, please?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!