Slow Cookers & Roast beef.

Disney Ontario

Ontario Disney
Hi. DD14 LOVES:love: her aunt's roast beef done in her slow cooker. So what do yous add to your roast in the slow cooker? And what kind of roast do yous use?

I sear the meat on the stove first and season with salt, pepper, garlic and a few other spices. The roast goes in the crockpot, I add a can of cream of mushroom soup, can of water, carrots, onions and set on high for an hour or so, then reduce temp and cook for at least 6 hrs. I add potatos at about the 3 hour point. The most moist pot roast you will ever make.

I use the kind with a stone crock and have heard that they differ from the other kind with a metal pan that sits on a heating element. I know that my roasts turn out differently than my older sister's & she uses the other kind.

That being said, I used to just use a bottom round roast or a bolar roast and pour a bit of Kitchen Bouquet or Gravy Master over it & then sprinkle with either an envelope of dry onion soup mix or granulated beef bouillon. I also put carrots in the bottom, then the roast & then potatoes because that's the order given for my pot by the manufacturer. Oh - and I'd add a cup of cold water (before the KB or GM) if the roast was going in frozen...again, per manufacturer.

In the past couple years however, we all decided we were a bit tired of it that way. I still use a bottom round roast, but I've been cooking it longer and then shredding it. We either eat it over mashed potatoes or as a sandwich on a hard roll with horseradish sauce. Yum!

So now I season it differently and would probably use the same things if I were making a regular "roast" as well. Now I always use water in it as I really want lots of broth.

2 c water
3 tsp granulated beef bouillon
3 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbl oregano
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp cardamom
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
a few drops of Liquid Smoke
2 Tbl seasoning salt (I use a "no salt" version)

I need to look and see what type of roast I buy because the last 3 or 4 times I have bought it from Costco it just did not taste right (first time I thought I had a roast going bad). Weird thing is, it is the same cut of meat I have bought for years and loved.

This sounds really good:

I use the kind with a stone crock and have heard that they differ from the other kind with a metal pan that sits on a heating element. I know that my roasts turn out differently than my older sister's & she uses the other kind.

That being said, I used to just use a bottom round roast or a bolar roast and pour a bit of Kitchen Bouquet or Gravy Master over it & then sprinkle with either an envelope of dry onion soup mix or granulated beef bouillon. I also put carrots in the bottom, then the roast & then potatoes because that's the order given for my pot by the manufacturer. Oh - and I'd add a cup of cold water (before the KB or GM) if the roast was going in frozen...again, per manufacturer.

In the past couple years however, we all decided we were a bit tired of it that way. I still use a bottom round roast, but I've been cooking it longer and then shredding it. We either eat it over mashed potatoes or as a sandwich on a hard roll with horseradish sauce. Yum!

So now I season it differently and would probably use the same things if I were making a regular "roast" as well. Now I always use water in it as I really want lots of broth.

2 c water
3 tsp granulated beef bouillon
3 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbl oregano
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp cardamom
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
a few drops of Liquid Smoke
2 Tbl seasoning salt (I use a "no salt" version)

We buy our beef from a local farmer a 1/4 at a time, so the cut I use varies.
I've tried many recipes and my fav by far isso simple
salt and pepper both sides of roast and place in crockpot
add a couple tsp of minced garlic and about a cup of italian salad peppers.
Sometimes I add a little thyme

A can of french onion soup a can of cream of mushroom soup and some cajun seasoning. cook for 8 or more hours on low. Searing the roast before you put it in the crock makes it taste better.

Sprinkle one envelope dry onion soup mix over roast. Pour 1 can diced tomatoes on top. Cover and cook 6-8 hours on low. Easy and yummy!

I like to make italian roast beef.

1 pot roast
1 package of Au jus (mix with 2 cups water)
2 packages of dry italian mix
1/2 jar of pepperoncinis
a few ancho chilli's (optional)

When it's done put roast beef on italian sandwich bread with some pepperjack cheese (or your favorite cheese) along with some uncooked peppercinis. YUMO!!!

Here's my recipe for the best pot roast in the world!!!

Chuck roast (doesn't have to be chuck roast any cut will do)
1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
1 envelope italian salad dressing mix
1 envelope brown gravy mix
1/2 C. water.

Put roast in crock pot. Mix salad dressing mixes, brown gravy mix, and water. Pour over roast and cook on low 6-8 hours.

So yummy!

This is not a crockpot recipe, but it cooks slowly in the oven without anything being done to it! Great for dinner parties

Take a piece of silverside (this is a really cheap cut, but don't worry) about 2kg and sear it in a large (but not too big) saucepan or flameproof casserole. Remove it, wipe out the pan, then return the meat and pour in 3/4 to a bottle of red wine and throw in a coup[le of bayleaves, a small bunch of thyme and some seasoning. Put it in a low oven (150 C/Fan 130/gas 2(?) ) for 3 1/2 hours without looking at it. Take the meat out and leave it to rest, covered, somewhere warm. Put the pan on the hob with all the cooking juices. Fish out the herbs and boil the liquid to reduce slightly. Mix together a paste of butter and flour ( about 1/2 oz each) and add small pieces to the mixture, whisking each bit in, until the sauce is thickened and glossy. Serve in slices with the sauce and mashed potato.

I do mine like Glynis does, in fact I got that from this board a long time ago. If I do potatoes with the roast I put half of the ranch and half of the italian mix over the potatoes. I usually make it with two packs of the gravy mix also. This does make a excellent roast.

ok what have i done wrong!! whenever i make the roast it falls apart!! we don't like it rare or med/rare but it can't be sliced nice?? it is more of a shredded roast. Is it that i overcooked, used too much water or wrong cut of beef! I want to throw my slow cooker in the garbage as this was my first experience using it.

ok what have i done wrong!! whenever i make the roast it falls apart!! we don't like it rare or med/rare but it can't be sliced nice?? it is more of a shredded roast. Is it that i overcooked, used too much water or wrong cut of beef! I want to throw my slow cooker in the garbage as this was my first experience using it.

Don't throw it away! Each slow cooker is different and you have to play around with it to see how fast it cooks. For example, if I get a recipe that says to cook something on low for 6-8 hours, I know from experience that it will only take my slow cooker about 5 hours to get the job done.

As to water, I don't usually add more moisture than a recipe calls for. The steam builds up in my slow cooker, and that seems to be enough.

Hopefully, someone else will have more advice for you! I use mine over and over!!! Especially during the summer when I don't want to heat my whole house up with the oven.

I'd say it's the cooking time - yours must cook faster than the times you were given. I've not found that extra water makes a difference in how "done" it gets - I've done it with & without and still had it shred for me...but that's how I want it.

You could try opening it at about 2/3 the expected cooking time & make a small cut (not slice) to see if it's cooked enough for you. If not, cover & continue cooking. Just be aware that for every time you take the lid off they say it adds 1/2 hour to your cooking time.

In the meantime, get some hard rolls & horseradish sauce and make hot roast beef sandwiches. ;) Yummy! :teeth:

Wish I would have found this thread earlier. I have a roast in the crock pot right now! We usually just shred it and put it in tortillas with cheese. Yummm.

I use any cut roast...with 1 can cream of mushroom soup and 1 envelope dry onion soup mix. Either cook in your crockpot on low for a few hours or covered in the oven 225 degrees for a few hours hours. It makes its own yummy gravy for mashed potatoes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter