Small direct purchase to partly receive AP discount benefit

Greg36

Mouseketeer
We just passed ROFR on a 160 point contract. We are hoping to close late September and figure we should hopefully have an account with points mid to late October. Our plan was to add 25 points direct, if available, partly to receive the AP discount (we also want to have 180-185 points). We are a family of four so the current AP discount is around $800. We have a cash trip booked for late November-early December and our plan was to actually upgrade our purchased 10 day PH tickets to annual passes. If we do purchase the 25 point direct add on we have to do that in person (we live in a geographical region where DVC cannot sell). I am wondering if anyone knows how long it would take after you make your DVC direct point purchase to receive the benefits such as the AP discount. I am thinking we would still need to do the AP ticket upgrade at GS (with or without the DVC AP discount) and I am assuming GS would need me to have some type of proof of direct purchase membership to get the AP discount. Part of me feels like this is just adding a lot of complexity to the ticket upgrade process for this upcoming trip, but I am always interested in saving some money, if possible. Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks, Greg

I called last Sunday to be added to the waitlist for a 25 pt addon. They called on Tuesday and said points are now available. I gave my credit card info over the phone and the points and entitlements (being able to purchase discounted APs) were in my account that night.

We received the contract via FedEx yesterday and we're returning it today.

If you close resale in September and set up your online account, it should be similar for you, assuming they have 25 points available to sell you while you're on site. They may not depending on the resort.

Depending on the availability of resort points that you want to buy, you could have then in your account in a day. Your new ID would be available online.

:earsboy: Bill

I called last Sunday to be added to the waitlist for a 25 pt addon. They called on Tuesday and said points are now available. I gave my credit card info over the phone and the points and entitlements (being able to purchase discounted APs) were in my account that night.

We received the contract via FedEx yesterday and we're returning it today.

If you close resale in September and set up your online account, it should be similar for you, assuming they have 25 points available to sell you while you're on site. They may not depending on the resort.

Where did you add on at? and what UY?

What is your home resort?

Best way to do this is to call your guide ahead of time and let them know you want to do a 25 point add on. That way they can be on the lookout for the points. Tell them you'll sign on when you're there.

Wait to upgrade your tickets until you sign the direct contracts. Your membership benefits should show up quickly.

Best way to do this is to call your guide ahead of time and let them know you want to do a 25 point add on. That way they can be on the lookout for the points. Tell them you'll sign on when you're there.

Wait to upgrade your tickets until you sign the direct contracts. Your membership benefits should show up quickly.

Thanks for the reply. AKL is our home resort. Besides the extra benefits that go along with a direct contract, do you anticipate other reasons to own a direct contract at some point in the future? I know this is a lot of guess work and nobody really knows, but we are just trying to determine if this is a good move for us. We do not live in Orlando and I am guessing we would not get a lot of use out of the extra benefits (maybe a couple of AP's over the years). We tend to take one trip a year, albeit it does tend to be about 2 weeks. I am thinking the alternative would be to hang onto this cash and perhaps use it toward a larger resale point add on in a year or two, depending on how we find using the current contract. Any advice appreciated. Thanks, Greg

Thanks for the reply. AKL is our home resort. Besides the extra benefits that go along with a direct contract, do you anticipate other reasons to own a direct contract at some point in the future? I know this is a lot of guess work and nobody really knows, but we are just trying to determine if this is a good move for us. We do not live in Orlando and I am guessing we would not get a lot of use out of the extra benefits (maybe a couple of AP's over the years). We tend to take one trip a year, albeit it does tend to be about 2 weeks. I am thinking the alternative would be to hang onto this cash and perhaps use it toward a larger resale point add on in a year or two, depending on how we find using the current contract. Any advice appreciated. Thanks, Greg

I'm new to the whole timeshare thing (been DVC member for 14 months now), so I do not have a lot of first hand experience in all of this. @Dean has made some suggestions that Disney could do some VIP type status for direct members that would allow them to book rooms slightly earlier. Obviously, if you are trying to get the value or concierge rooms at AKV and you weren't a direct member, that could be an issue. I think he said one of the other major timeshare companies (perhaps marriott?) did something similar.

Right now though, the AP discounts are the biggest cost saver. Dining discounts have been nice too -- but you're not going to see nearly as much savings on those.

Not sure if you've thought about this -- but if you go every year, you could actually squeeze two year's trips into one AP so long as you move that second year trip up two weeks.

I'm in a similar situation as Greg as I'm international and DVD don't sell in my country. When I tried to do an add on by phone the rep said he wasn't allowed to talk about pricing, availability and so on.

I therefore don't think it's an option to call ahead and inform them about what you want.

If it is possible I'd like to know as we are going to poly in September and adding on to our home resorts or Epcot would be great instead of choosing the current resort which they are selling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter