Small SUVs... who has one?

Mermaid02

DIS Veteran
I posted earlier about my car issues- since it's an older car (I bought it used) it might not be worth it to put a lot of money into it so of course I started looking at cars online. :rolleyes2 If we do end up getting something else I would like a smallish suv- I have a 4 dr sedan right now and with my hip issues sometimes it's hard to get out of or get down into it so I would like something that sits a little higher. I like the Ford Edge and Ford Escape but am open to pretty much anything. What do you have you would recommend or what do you have that you want to warn me about? LOL

We have a large crossover (GMC Acadia), but the ingress & egress are "just right", as is the case with most vehicles of this type (minivans as well).

We also own a compact car you have to go down to get in and a full-size truck that requires you to climb up. So, we're very familiar with the convenience of the crossover :)

We are on our third Edge and 2nd Escape. I LOVE my Edge! I gave it up for a couple years for the Escape, but didn't like it as much, so went back to the Edge. My husband liked my Escape, so he got his own. There is nothing wrong with the Escape, it's just the Edge is a bit larger and more plush on the inside. I love sitting up higher, that is the main reason I drive one, instead of a car.

I have a 2013 Kia Sorento, which I love! It's not huge, but big enough for four of us (including two tall adult sons) to travel. When we bought it in 2012, we were also looking a the Ford Escape. My DH looked up crash and safety data for both, and said the Kia's ratings were far superior to the Ford's. This was several years ago so it could have changed since then with newer models. At the time, the Kia was the safer choice and we really like everything about it.

We have a Toyota RAV4 that we love. No issues so far after 30K miles. Lots of storage space when you fold down the rear seats.

I have a 2007 Honda CRV that I've owned since it was new. Knock wood, we've hardly had to fix anything besides routine maintenance (and absolutely nothing till relatively recently...) When this one gives out I'll definitely consider getting another one. I like it for the reason you said -- it's easy to get into/out of and I feel like I'm sitting high enough that I can see, but not driving a tank.

I'm on my 4th Escape, and prior to that drove Explorers for years. I lease my vehicles, and I love the Escape and have had zero problems.

We have a 2017 Honda HRV (smaller than the CRV). So far we love it.

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee but when I was looking a couple months ago I loved the Jeep Cherokee(not Grand) and the Jeep Compass. They were smaller and just a great ride. My mechanic loves the Compass, says it is reliable & very very durable.

We are on our third Edge and 2nd Escape. I LOVE my Edge! I gave it up for a couple years for the Escape, but didn't like it as much, so went back to the Edge. My husband liked my Escape, so he got his own. There is nothing wrong with the Escape, it's just the Edge is a bit larger and more plush on the inside. I love sitting up higher, that is the main reason I drive one, instead of a car.

So glad to hear that you love your Edge. We just bought one-so far we love it, but glad to hear it passes the test of time. One reason DH wouldn't get the Escape is that he said he wouldn't be able to stand me saying "EsCAP-ey" ala Dorey all the time.

We are about to get a new car too. I posted a thread about minivans but have since decided against a minivan. We have a 2012 Subaru Outback and I have loved it for most of the time...just one spell of stalling and it needed a new torque. But she has been great otherwise and has great trunk space, drives nicely and gets decent gas mileage. We are giving her to my DDs (twins) in college. They go to a school in mountains so the AWD will be nice.

I am now looking at, for us as a replacement, a Nissan Rogue or a Honda CR-V or a Toyota RAV4 or a Jeep Cherokee. We had a Jeep Grand Cherokee before and loved it. We considered pick-up trucks but too expensive and bad gas mileage. We'd need one with a decent backseat. I love the look of the Buick Enclave and I think it has the third row but DH doesn't like the look. The Nissan SUVs are similar looking and I like them a lot too. We could go look at the Rogues and maybe could check out the Murano too. I don't really want or need the third row but need would like space for stuff as we travel by car a lot and have three college kids so we out stuff around a lot too. I currently have a giant cat scratch post thing in my Outback to take to DS who has a new kitty...the backseats are all folded down and it's in there tight.

Last edited:
My InLaws (who are both 77) have both had both knees replaced, and when they were buying a new vehicle a couple years ago, they ended up choosing a Ford Edge because they both thought that was the most comfortable to drive and to enter/exit of all the vehicles they tried, but I don't know what else they considered.

My husband has a Subaru Forester, he loves it. I personally think my Outback is much nicer to drive and to be in, but I have a personal preference against the SUV type vehicle.

Another very satisfied Ford Edge owner here. Ours is 8 years old and still going strong. It's the perfect size for our needs.

We just bought a new Subaru Outback this past February and we love it. Honestly, we couldn't be happier!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!