• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Small World

WickedWench

Ruthless Pirate turned Polynesian Princess
It looks like It's a Small World will be closed for the duration of my trip. It's not my favorite ride, but I wanted to see the DL version. Will I be missing much? What does DL's version have that WDW's doesn't?

I suspect SW is being closed for the holiday overlay. IMO there are 2 things that stand out about DL SW over WDW SW. First is the holiday overlay, which you only see during the Christmas season. The second thing is the exterior, which is much more grand in many ways than WDW SM exterior, and especially during the holiday season. You may be able to see most or even all of the exterior during your visit. Big fans of SW might also say the interior is more grand, but if the exterior isn't covered up, I don't think you'll miss that much.

I'm a bit frustrated that they are opening it back up a few days later than last year, since we are bringing grandchildren this year. It looks like we will end up missing it by 2 days. Last year it was open on the 5th. and this year the 11th.

As stated, the outside is ABSOLUTELY amazing, totally different than WDW.
The ride seems a bit longer, and the main difference in the ride is that in DL, the boats travel through troughs of water, rather than the flooded building in WDW. But its the same song, same little people!

Plus I think the one in DL is longer. I remember getting on when the clock does it's quarter hour thing and coming out it is starting another. I don't think the one in WDW is 15 minutes long.

-Matthew

mwehttam said:
Plus I think the one in DL is longer. I remember getting on when the clock does it's quarter hour thing and coming out it is starting another. I don't think the one in WDW is 15 minutes long.

-Matthew

Not being as long is a plus in my book.

I have to agree about the ouside is more beautiful at Disneyland......but now that WDW had just refurbished the one there.....the inside is more beautiful there.

So I would have to say if you have seen the new one at WDW, you won't miss much if you miss DL. Hopefully you will be able to still see the ouside....sit in front of it for the fireworks. They have a light show on the building that they are doing for the 50th celebration.

WHat are the projected closed dates for SW please? It was closed last November when we were in WDW. I'll be so sad if it's closed at DL when we're there in October. I want my daughter to see it before she's too old to appreciate it!

I don't know the exact dates, but if you go to the Calendar on Disney's website and type in the date you'll be there, it will show a list of what will be closed during your visit.

The "holdiday" version of It's A Small World...does it play holiday songs, or the regular IASW song? Looks like it'll be up and running when we get there Nov. 20th!! :cool1:

Danvers said:
The "holdiday" version of It's A Small World...does it play holiday songs, or the regular IASW song? Looks like it'll be up and running when we get there Nov. 20th!! :cool1:

It plays both the IASW song and Jingle Bells.

We just saw DL Small World for the first time. My DW commented on it being longer. I was more aware of the fact that it is more one-sided. In WDW, there is stuff on both sides of you most of the time. At DL, it seemed like much of the time there is a black wall to one side and displays just on the other side of the boat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter