SNA- "scariest" airport? (takeoffs)

crazymomof4

DIS Veteran
First time flying Philadelphia to California as an adult.
Reading about LAX (airport itself + traffic surrounding) being a congested nightmare that causes stress and eats up time.
Looking into SNA. Seemed perfect until I started reading stuff online about the takeoffs being likened to a space shuttle launch. Steep ascent. Engines being cut. "Light in the seat" feeliing.
Now, I fly..... but I don't like it! I take xanax. I am not freaking out but I work hard to keep calm during takeoffs and turbulence.
I'm sure many who fly in and out of SNA are fine with it. People who fly often and have 0 fear while on a plane But that's not me.
>I'd like the perspective of someone, like myself, who is a nervous flyer and has flown into and out of SNA. How was it? Is it really that bad or just a tad more scary that usual takeoffs?<

I have flown into and out of SNA several times. I prefer SNA over LAX anytime of day or night! It is a L O T smaller airport than LAX, easier to get into and out of. Landings and takeoffs have always been nice and smooth. SNA is a dream compared to Chicago or Reagon in DC. Airports for nice easy smoooth takeoff and landings Denver, Salt Lake, and Tulsa :hyper2:

Try take off/landing/ in Key West on a 737. It's basically both the shortest runway allowed for a 737 as well as the shortest runway used regularly for a 737. :)

Last edited:
The departing aircraft do not use the steep climb and then level off any longer. They stopped several years ago

It is still SOP for Southwest, but the Pilots also explain it. All it is they take off a bit steeper then level off a bit and reduce power until the shoreline. There is no “sensation” that you feel other than it is just a bit different procedure than a continuous power climb thay most are expecting.

It's not bad. I generally get nervous with take offs and I don't have a problem with it. The worst for me has always been landing or taking off out of Denver- it always seems to be really bumpy. We really like SNA. It is an easy airport.

They have also altered the flight path slightly. They now fly over a bay instead of homes as much as possible until they reach the ocean, which also decreases the need for noise-abatement. (I am a few hundred yards off the current flight path and directly under the flight path used when the Santa Ana winds blow and they land from the west.)

I had a bad experience flying out of SNA a couple years ago. I have a pretty bad head cold and was all stuffed up. The take off gave me severe vertigo that lasted through out the flight. Now I always bring Afrin when I fly just in case I get a cold.

I'm a bit of a nervous flyer, and I don't have any more of a problem at SNA than I do other airports.

PHX, on the other hand... Those winds are crazy.

The departing aircraft do not use the steep climb and then level off any longer. They stopped several years ago

I’ve experienced it inside of several years.

In San Diego too.

OP, if it happens, it’s exciting and there’s a reason. It gets you to your beverage service faster since you get to cruising altitude quicker. :)

I don’t think engines are “cut” though. But going up steep then leveling off could have a momentary feeling in the belly. It’s a moment. It’s normal.

Talk to the flight attendant as you board if possible. They can be amazing when they know you’re scared. A United attendant spent some serious time with me back in 2013 because he could see the nervousness on my face (they had to repair the door before takeoff and our seats were right there so I had time to let the nervousness build). And they might be able to tell you if by chance they’ll be using that method on that flight.

I'm a nervous flyer; like Xanax, sleep deprived, relaxation techniques, etc... And used to fly SW out of SNA. I didn't think it was any worse. A bit steeper, but I'm already deep breathing and working on my relaxation skills and the Xanax is kicking in.

OP here. I just wanted to pop in let each and every poster here know how VERY helpful your comments have been. I really didn't want a thread full of, "Oh don't be silly. Flying is perfectly safe. What are you worried about?" posts. What I got here was real empathy and encouragement. Thank you to all.
Feel free to keep 'em coming!

I’ve lived near SNA my entire life and flown out of it dozens and dozens of times. It’s never made me any more nervous than any other take off. Maybe I’m just used to it? It doesn’t feel any different to me. I’ve certainly never felt “light in my seat” or felt an engine cut, that would terrify me!

I agree though PHX in the winds can be scary!

Also, avoid LAX at all costs. I know so many people fly in there to come to DL and it would have to be a HUGE price difference to be worth it to me. I would gladly pay more to land at SNA, and you’ll save a little of that back in taxi/shuttle/Uber to DL and back. It is so much farther away and feels like lightyears with the traffic.

I find that Portland PDX is the worst, being a frequent flyer out of PDX, other thant SFO, all other airports are just Dandy. But it is strange how we see different airports. I think San Diego out of Phoniex route is really smooth. SNA is one the best airports for racing the clock, so small that TSA is short and nice lobbies for waiting. If you want to cure flying anxiety, try SFO, then everything else is grand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter