snorkeling equipment

avalon

Earning My Ears
Can someone explain to me the options for renting snorkeling equipment? For a family of 4 I can pick up inexpensive equipment for about $160 at Sport Authority. Is it cheaper in the long run to just rent or to buy and deal with the hassel of packing the equipment. Or are there long lines to rent the equpment. Never snorkeled before, is it claustrophobic? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

I have read here that it is nice to have your own equipment to avoid the long lines. But, I am new at this and am not real sure. We are packing our own to try to save a little money since we already own it!!!

Snorkeling isn't at all claustrophobic......it is more like freedom. That is, as long as you aren't afraid of the water!!!!! You'll love it, its like flying kinda! My kids have loved it since they were TWO years old! (of course they drank a lot of water through their snorkels back then!)

Hope someone with more knowledge helps you out with these questions!

Do the snorkes that Castaway Cay rents have purge valves? And are the fins have open heels with straps?

Avalon,

I would definitely recommend buying your own equipment if you ever plan on snorkeling again. We bought cheap sets for about $25-30, which is about what you pay to rent them at Castaway Cay. You still have to get a vest, but that's free of charge. In addition, you can buy a mask that fits you. You may or may not get a rental that does the job. The lines are not terrible, there's quite a few of them and they move pretty quickly.

We usually do some snorkeling on our own at one of the other ports, in addition to Castaway Cay.

ChiTownZee,

I'm not sure, but I think that the fins they rent are closed heel, and I would doubt that the snorkels have purge valves. It's pretty basic stuff. Keep in mind that I've never rented it, but that's my recollection from standing in line waiting for the vests.

The fins have a closed heel, and there is no purge valve on the snorkel.

As for snorkeling being claustrophobic or not - it depends on who you ask. Me and my 5 year old daughter took to it like fish :D
My mother on the other hand, couldn't do it... she said she's too old to work against the natural instinct of holding your breath when your face is in the water, and then she added the claustrophobic feeling on top of it - she sat on the beach!

I rented this trip, but since I'd like to do it again - I'm going to purchase everything - including the vest. I'm planning another cruise at the end of 2002, and this time, I'm not going to waste my time snorkeling in CC - it was too staged for it to be interesting to me... I want to try Coki Beach or somewhere else - any suggestions?

I'd suggest Dawn Beach on St. Maarten; Coki or Sapphire Beach (Coki would be my first choice) on St. Thomas; or Cinnamon Bay on St. John.

Also, there's some decent snorkeling at Serenity Bay on Castaway Cay. We went there on our last cruise, skipping the "snorkeling course." It was fun once, but is very crowded and the sand gets kicked up if you're not one of the first ones in.

How far out do you have to go at Serenity Bay for good snorkling? I have read posts talking about the snorkling being good, but I remember the water being really shallow.

Debby:wave:

You have to go pretty far out. There's an artificial reef way out there, probably close to 100 yards or so. We saw a lot of fish out by the reef.

Senor Ferrari,

Thanks for the quick answer. DH and I did the snorkle trail twice last cruise, but I would really like to spend some time at Serenity Bay while DD is in the kids club.

Debby:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!