Snorkling,with contacts......

singledismom

Earning My Ears
......is this possible? I don't know much about snorkling, but would like to try it out on CC. I know you can purchase a mask with your Rx, but since I don't know if I would ever do it again I don't want to spend that kind of money. Is there a certain kind/make of a mask that is better for folks that were contacts?

Thanks

I have snorkeled with contacts before; the key is to get a tight-fitting mask. I know they have prescription masks (not available if you rent at CC) but I need my contacts OUT of the water too or I'd be blind. :)

I've done it in Mexico, Florida, Grand Cayman and never had a problem. Get a decent mask and make sure it "sticks" to your face when you suck in and you should be fine.

You'll probably still get water dripping into your eyes when putting on/off the mask (it's best to have it wet before putting it on) but if you're ok with wiping your eyes with your contacts in, you should be fine.

If you can, buy a mask and use it in your local swimming pool first - that's where I learned years ago

I've been scuba diving for 20 years with contacts and have never had a problem. But, I'm always aware I can easily lose the pair I'm diving with (altough it's never happened).

Yes, I agree with the above posts, I've snorkeled for years with contacts, however I'm aware of the risks and always have another pair or glasses in the room just in case. I swim underwater with them too, being careful to wipe my eyes when I surface to get excess water off before I open my eyes. My son however wears glasses and finally purchased the Rx mask...it's great and I'm considering doing that. Snorkeling is a blast and if it's your first time remember that in the salt water you are very bouyant so just float calmly on the top for awhile (looking down). The flippers propel you tremendously so you don't really need to use your arms much. Suck your mask into your face for a good seal and if you get a bit of water in your snorkel just blow out really hard to clear it. Pretty soon you can take a deep breath and dive underwater to explore things closer, just remember to blow the water out of your snorkel when you surface. Have a great time!

On our recent trip I brought the disposable contacts. This way if they fell out or got lost not a worry, there were more waiting.

Have fun, the snorkeling is fantastic on CC!

Scratch

:smooth:

Another vote for disposable contacts for snorkeling. When we did our first cruise in 2000, I specifically went to the eye doc and got re-fitted for contacts. It had been years since I had worn contacts, but I decided that disposables were the easiest way to allow me to enjoy seeing while snorkeling.

First time I went I went without my glasses and couldn't see a fish unless it swam up to my face LOL....the next time I rented at Coral World in St Thomas to use at Coki beach and they had a perscription pair there that worked great....since then I have gotten Lasik done so I no longer need anything to see....best thing I EVER did!

In the past, both hubby and I have snorkeled extensively with contacts. As others have said, the trick is to get a really tight fitting mask. We always bring our own masks and Disney lets us use the vests for free. And hubby always brought a pair of spare disposables (which actually came in handy once, although not due to snorkeling...he dropped a lens on the sink in our hotel room and never saw it again...it must have gone to that place where socks teleport to when you put them in the dryer). Of course, now we've both had Lasik so those annoying days are behind us!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Our daughter wears glasses (too young for contacts). Is it possible to get a mask to fit tight around a pair of glasses? I know we've done that for her with ski goggles. Anyone ever try that with a snorkel mask?

That is exactly what my wife is doing on our cruise. We bought this kit:

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=5927

and her safety glasses from work fit very nicely into the mask, assuming you remove the side pieces that sit on your ears. However, we found many other masks that the glasses did not fit into, especially the ones labeled "low-volume". I would not count on being able to fit glasses into a rental mask.

Walt

disposable contacts are very expensive for me because of astigmitism (spelling?). Anyhow, i paid about 55 bucks to have my prescription lenses glued inside a mask, and i have really gotten my money's worth!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter