Snowbird advice?

robinb

DIS veteran
We are in our 50's and my DH can live anywhere near an airport as he travels for business. We live in Wisconsin but I really hate the cold, snow and ice. Last winter was brutal. I am considering taking a month or two somewhere warm between January and April. Maybe Florida or Arizona for Cubs spring training. We don't need to be near Disney, but that would be OK too. We were not planning on getting APs again but would if we were close. I don't think we are interested in an adult living community since we would be on the young side. We also have 4 animals (2 cats and 2 dogs) that would have to come with us.

Do you have any advice on how I would find a place to snowbird? I looked at VRBO but there appeared to be no discount for booking a full month.

I’m fortunate t have just stumbled into it. I would ask people that you know. Like you are here. Just pick a place that you have been to and like. I would recommend the Sarasota area, walking distance to St Armand’s and the beaches. My place is in Orlando but we spend a good bit of time there. It’s very nice.

I'm from WI too, and hate Winter ( Nov thru Apr)!!
We inherited my late FIL's condo in SUN City, AZ. It's a 55+ community but I have to say time goes by and being the youngsters isn't so much anymore ( we've had the place 5 years).
I love Arizona. We'd be there more if we didn't have our Grandson, whom we take care of often and love to pieces. For now, it's our 2 or 3 weeks a year place.

Yes, Spring Training is fun! The Grand Canyon is breathtaking. If you enjoy golf and hiking, it's wonderful.

I'd recommend contacting the owners of any of the places you like via email and explain the situation to them. They would be able to offer any discounts they may have available on a more long term period and you'd be able to quickly know who is not interested in renting long term as well. Other than that, I don't know how else to find a longer term location.

Unfortunately, you’re not going to find many discounts for long term rentals during “season”. Season being January through March/April. We used to rent our place in Fort Myers for $5k a month for January, February and March. But could only get $1800 in the off months.

Many people start out renting in an area for a month or two to see where they really prefer to be. There are communities that offer varying amenities. The more amenities, the higher the price. You need to zero in on a city then find communities that offer the amenities you are interested in. VRBO is a good source, but also contact realtors in the communities you like. Many deal with seasonal renters as many renters later turn into buyers.

Good luck and welcome to Snowbirding!

The Gulf Coast of Alabama is a popular place for Snowbirds. Lots of condos for rent, some of the towns are Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, and Perdido Keys, all about a 50 minute drive to either Pensacola, FL or Mobile AL airports, We usually flew out of Pensacola. You can also look at Pensacola Beach, Gulf Breeze and Destin ( about 90 minutes to the airport, a bit more commercial). Not quite as warm as FL but probably cheaper, you might get a few days in the mid 50's but mostly in the high 60's to low 70's. Instead of VRBO look at realty companies, one I remember is Meyer Realty, don't know if a link is allowed but I'll try https://www.gulfshores.com/lodging/beach-house/meyer-vacation-rentals/

That's prime snowbird rental season here in Arizona. You probably won't find any discounts, but it's certainly worth trying and it doesn't hurt to ask of course. Some places might not be interested in renting to folks with 4 animals...you'd have to pay a pet deposit most likely.

Sun City & Sun City West in the PHX area are popular. There's also a big 55+ community near Chandler called Sun Lakes. And probably some other smattering of 55+ communities in the greater Phx area that I'm not thinking of right now. Sun City/Sun City West is on the west side of town, so shorter drive to Anaheim (Disneyland) than Sun Lakes.

Unfortunately, you’re not going to find many discounts for long term rentals during “season”. Season being January through March/April. We used to rent our place in Fort Myers for $5k a month for January, February and March. But could only get $1800 in the off months.

Many people start out renting in an area for a month or two to see where they really prefer to be. There are communities that offer varying amenities. The more amenities, the higher the price. You need to zero in on a city then find communities that offer the amenities you are interested in. VRBO is a good source, but also contact realtors in the communities you like. Many deal with seasonal renters as many renters later turn into buyers.

Good luck and welcome to Snowbirding!

This is completely accurate. I live in snowbird country and it is common to see condos renting for $4500/month between Jan - April. Many places will require that you stay at least 2 months. I haven't heard of many people having great luck with VRBO in our area, it seems that most find a good realtor that helps them out. Every once in a blue moon you can find a good rental on craigslist - however there are so many scams there I'm not sure its even worth looking.

As far as location - it depends on what you want to do. Do you want access to beaches? Access to arts/culture. Do you want to live in a development full of snowbirds or would you rather try and rent in a residential (local) area? Do you have other friends that snowbird in either Arizona vs Florida? If you happen to be active with a church there are a number of people that look for a church in the area where they can meet new people quickly.

How well do you "get along" with humidity? Florida is a lot more humid than Arizona, which is very dry. My skin loves the "moisturizing" climates, but I'd rather put on moisturizing lotion and enjoy the desert. The drier air feels cooler and I don't sweat as much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter