So, explain these "security checks" to me, please?

I wonder if we should start bringing our own do not disturb signs. "Do not disturb- having 'couple time'" "Do not disturb-sleeping child" "Do not disturb-Showering"

WDW staff won't honor the signs.

Your experience coupled with HopperFan's account (on the thread in the Rumor and News board) really makes the theory that this is more about human trafficking (and the Florida legislation to hold hotels liable for not doing enough to prevent it) more plausible to me.

Wow. I think you might be right. I guess I never fully understood how rampant this could be in such a heavy, tourist area. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/opin...afficking-crackdown-bills-20180208-story.html

In January after we ran the marathon and had got back to the room about noon, 3 CMs in coats so I don't really know what they had on, knocked and said they had to check the room. No call before or it was before we entered the room. It was I think 2 women & 1 man. It was kind of annoying cause they kind of just mumbled what they wanted to do, but I just said come back in an hour and they left. I was aware of it before so knew what they needed to do, but they weren't the clearest & if I hadn't read about it before I would have been confused on what they were up to honestly.

I am a sometime solo female traveler to WDW resorts. I would feel a lot better if, when I am required to open the door upon demand and allow anyone in my room, they are wearing a badge and uniform.

~NM

As a sometimes solo female traveler myself, I agree with this. Just wondering-do they have master keys? One time I fell asleep mid-day, and hadn't engaged the safety lock (or whatever that's called). I woke up to a maintenance worker IN MY ROOM! He claims he'd knocked-maybe he had, I'm a pretty sound sleeper. Note to self-always engage the safety latch thingy when I'm in the room.

They at least need to have a man-woman team if they are barging in like this.

This whole policy seems a little too "snoopy" to me.

I've just read through a lot of the complaints on this forum. Seems to me there is a lot of room for error, etc., when you just open the door for someone claiming to be doing a security check, etc. This policy needs way more thought to it by WDW.

As always, contact Guest Services at Disney and let them know how you feel about this (the pro and the con). When they start getting an onslaught of letters/emails/phone calls, they tend to take note.

There has to be a better way.

WDW staff won't honor the signs.

Wow. I think you might be right. I guess I never fully understood how rampant this could be in such a heavy, tourist area. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/opin...afficking-crackdown-bills-20180208-story.html

I had thought this was Vegas related....but Im beginning to think it may be about both, and either way certainly "liability" raises it's head. Disney wants to be in a position where they can indicate that they did all the due diligence should they be faced with a statement of claim. I get it, I work in a field where I've dealt up close and personal with human trafficking. That said their due diligence does not trump our ability to enjoy the very pricy accommodations we're paying for. If they can work out a system where one can confirm times etc that will cover their obligations and not leave the guest annoyed then it may work.....but the stories so far tell me they aren't there yet.

And on a more interesting note given the human trafficking aspect...I wouldn't want to be the parents, or in particular the father travelling alone with his teenage daughter(or god forbid two buddies who have taken their 2 daughters to Disney) when the untrained employees get this wrong...and I guarantee you that human nature being what it is they will get it wrong. Because what may be perfectly normal could appear suspicious to employees and it wouldn't take me more than 5 minutes to compile that list. It is ALWAYS a problem when you have those who are really untrained (and 30 minutes of training doesn't come close) reporting in about what "they" think is suspicious behaviour.

Luckybee...you raise another good point. At the very least, all of this is extremely inconvenient for the guest.

I had thought this was Vegas related....but Im beginning to think it may be about both, and either way certainly "liability" raises it's head. Disney wants to be in a position where they can indicate that they did all the due diligence should they be faced with a statement of claim. I get it, I work in a field where I've dealt up close and personal with human trafficking. That said their due diligence does not trump our ability to enjoy the very pricy accommodations we're paying for. If they can work out a system where one can confirm times etc that will cover their obligations and not leave the guest annoyed then it may work.....but the stories so far tell me they aren't there yet.

And on a more interesting note given the human trafficking aspect...I wouldn't want to be the parents, or in particular the father travelling alone with his teenage daughter(or god forbid two buddies who have taken their 2 daughters to Disney) when the untrained employees get this wrong...and I guarantee you that human nature being what it is they will get it wrong. Because what may be perfectly normal could appear suspicious to employees and it wouldn't take me more than 5 minutes to compile that list. It is ALWAYS a problem when you have those who are really untrained (and 30 minutes of training doesn't come close) reporting in about what "they" think is suspicious behaviour.

Oh wow. And given the fact that WDW is having a hard time hiring and retaining housekeeping staff anyway. I once asked a BC housekeeper where the lobby was (because I was completely lost in the hallway) and she had no idea as well . . . I can't imagine they now have to be responsible for looking for and reporting possible trafficking. I guess that's why they are bringing in other staff to help with the checks.

Honestly, anybody could look suspicious, I suppose? I have read about couples who engage in human trafficking as well. Ugh. So awful.

I guess since they have to pay so many extra people to go around invading peoples vacations that is where the ticket price hike is coming from what a waste of real manpower and money instead of coming up with a real solution that will not interrupt guests stay ... why not put more cameras around the public areas of the resorts like the parks ? I would think that would be less invasive and in the long wrong cheaper then a lawsuit after someone accused a cm of inappropriate behavior ... ( it will happen at some point ) .

I guess since they have to pay so many extra people to go around invading peoples vacations that is where the ticket price hike is coming from what a waste of real manpower and money instead of coming up with a real solution that will not interrupt guests stay ... why not put more cameras around the public areas of the resorts like the parks ? I would think that would be less invasive and in the long wrong cheaper then a lawsuit after someone accused a cm of inappropriate behavior ... ( it will happen at some point ) .

What makes you think they lack cameras? I assume they are watching me unless I'm in a bathroom stall.

What makes you think they lack cameras? I assume they are watching me unless I'm in a bathroom stall.

They have tons of cameras at the parks and Disney springs but very few at the resorts , although instead of this crazy policy they should just add to the resort halls .. large cost but overall a better idea then doing this ... I just don’t see this lasting past the first lawsuit that’s bound to happen .. with people so sue happy and also the real possibility that someone could end up with a legit case it will eventually happen if this keeps up .

I WILL speak to my daughter but not about allowing a CM in, it will be the same as always “ do not allow a stranger in the room while mom and dad are not in the room “ and that will not change , Disney like most places still has issues with employees being sex offenders ( which is possible anywhere ) so no .. our rules stay the same .. absolutely no strangers in the room alone .I do not think that is strange or “ overprotective “ at all.

Please keep in mind that it is very easy for ANYONE to get past both locking mechanisms on the door and gain entry into the room. Also keep in mind that when Disney demands entry into the room you are REQUIRED to admit them immediately. It's only a matter of time until someone with criminal intent takes advantage of this. At some resorts the person demanding entry to your room will not stop knocking until they are let in.

I wonder if we should start bringing our own do not disturb signs. "Do not disturb- having 'couple time'" "Do not disturb-sleeping child" "Do not disturb-Showering"
See the above reply as to why none of that matters any more.

As for human trafficking, again, what are these room checks going to accomplish? Even with Human Trafficking concerns these room checks sadly are just more security theater.

~NM

If you booked prior to that statement explicitly being laid out in the terms and conditions, you agreed to this (in the 2017 terms and conditions): "Terms and conditions are subject to change by Disney without notice". So, yes, we've all agreed, when booking a WDW room, to go along with whatever terms and conditions WDW decides to come up with at any time including those made after booking.

At some point they’ll change something that hits YOU negatively and we’ll see how you feel about it all.

all hotels have these but do you actually expect a stranger to barge in at any moment ?

All hotels do not have these checks. I haven’t heard a single instance of it at Universal.

The rooms that allow dogs have a hangtag to indicate the dog is in the room and so they won't enter.

Aha. So we can pay an extra smidgen of money for a fake dog, hang up that tag and have full freedom. Excellent.

And if I think that, you know others will be...

And if a child is that scared by someone knocking they probably shouldn't be left alone in the room.

Um, I’m scared of people knocking on my door. At a hotel or at home. Guess I can’t be left alone.

Reports are they just glance around. They don't open bags or anything.

Well that’s useful, right?

I also believe, naively perhaps, that Disney actually pays attention to some extent to complaints

Only if they take those complaints and send them on. I’ve read reports of managers not caring at all. Those complaints aren’t being passed along.

Complaints by email or letter are ways that they can keep stats on. Do it.

If they don't fix this it wont impact the next upcoming on property stays for the perhaps 12 months, because , as I said, most who are staying on property for already booked trips are saying to themselves things like, "this wont happen to me" when reviewing some of the bad reports.

Yep.

My cousin and I are doing rundisney Princess trips each year. She and I are on opposite sides of the political spectrum. I don’t think she knows about this yet. She’s going to lose it. I’m bothered enough by it but this is going to NOT go over well with her.

And therefore IF we do Princess next year we’ll likely be staying at Universal for it. And if that happens, and if hubby and son don’t want Wdw anymore (they haven’t been to a Wdw park for 3 years), then there will be no reason to hold onto our DVC any longer.

My teen daughter was in the shower, my husband was still sleeping, and I was at the food court getting coffee. A guy just walked into our room, seemingly unannounced, though I'm sure he knocked, but my husband sleeps very soundly.

Ughhhhhhhh.

Oh, have you written that in the Sticky thread here to track actual experiences?

There was one day my husband says they came in our room 3 times.

That’s just ridiculous.

I keep thinking of a plain magnet to write “we just did the 10k/half and are resting, please come back later” just so they can take a moment to THINK.

Your experience coupled with HopperFan's account (on the thread in the Rumor and News board) really makes the theory that this is more about human trafficking (and the Florida legislation to hold hotels liable for not doing enough to prevent it) more plausible to me.

Taking Limes96’s experience into account....They are solving human trafficking by sending a lone man into a room with a teen girl in the shower?

Ok.

Just wondering-do they have master keys?

Of course. Housekeepers do too.

As always, contact Guest Services at Disney and let them know how you feel about this (the pro and the con). When they start getting an onslaught of letters/emails/phone calls, they tend to take note.

Yep. It’s the only reliable method to track the issues.

liability" raises it's head. Disney wants to be in a position where they can indicate that they did all the due diligence should they be faced with a statement of claim.

How is walking in and taking a look ANY kind of due diligence???

I would say they would have MORE liability if something ever happened now that they’ve started this.

I’m anti-the lawsuits against the Vegas hotel, but I would be pro such a thing if something happens after they start doing these ridiculous checks.

At some point they’ll change something that hits YOU negatively and we’ll see how you feel about it all.

All hotels do not have these checks. I haven’t heard a single instance of it at Universal.

Aha. So we can pay an extra smidgen of money for a fake dog, hang up that tag and have full freedom. Excellent.

Um, I’m scared of people knocking on my door. At a hotel or at home. Guess I can’t be left alone.

Only if they take those complaints and send them on. I’ve read reports of managers not caring at all. Those complaints aren’t being passed along.

Yep.

My cousin and I are doing rundisney Princess trips each year. She and I are on opposite sides of the political spectrum. I don’t think she knows about this yet. She’s going to lose it. I’m bothered enough by it but this is going to NOT go over well with her.

And therefore IF we do Princess next year we’ll likely be staying at Universal for it. And if that happens, and if hubby and son don’t want Wdw anymore (they haven’t been to a Wdw park for 3 years), then there will be no reason to hold onto our DVC any longer.

Ughhhhhhhh.

Oh, have you written that in the Sticky thread here to track actual experiences?

That’s just ridiculous.

I keep thinking of a plain magnet to write “we just did the 10k/half and are resting, please come back later” just so they can take a moment to THINK.

Taking Limes96’s experience into account....They are solving human trafficking by sending a lone man into a room with a teen girl in the shower?

Ok.

I would say they would have MORE liability if something ever happened now that they’ve started this.

I’m anti-the lawsuits against the Vegas hotel, but I would be pro such a thing if something happens after they start doing these ridiculous checks.

My point with the “ other “ hotels is they all have this “ fine print “ but have never once had this happen at another resort or hotel ... I agree with you completely.

Oh wow. And given the fact that WDW is having a hard time hiring and retaining housekeeping staff anyway. I once asked a BC housekeeper where the lobby was (because I was completely lost in the hallway) and she had no idea as well . . . I can't imagine they now have to be responsible for looking for and reporting possible trafficking. I guess that's why they are bringing in other staff to help with the checks.

Honestly, anybody could look suspicious, I suppose? I have read about couples who engage in human trafficking as well. Ugh. So awful.

Yes it can be couples, even mothers of young children . I don't want to turn this into a human trafficking thread but for all of you who really see human trafficking in a one dimensional sort of way I've linked to a case ongoing in Canada right now that might shake your very foundations. Let me warn you though it will change the way you see people and if you don't want to see how low people can go don't read)

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2018/02/13/dangerous-offender-hearing

Yep.

Ughhhhhhhh.

That’s just ridiculous.

Ok.

Well there is legislation in various parts of the world (coming soon to Florida) that invites victims of Human trafficking to sue the hotel for turning a blind eye to things such as multiple people coming and going, contents of garbage, connections that don't look "right" , non age appropriate things in rooms etc etc. This is where some say Disney is going and given the recent article linked to by another poster earlier in the thread I think there is some merit to that assumption. Disney would then be in a position to argue that they have been checking/verifying these things and I can assure you it would form part of their defence should they later get sued.

Other than accomplishing that this is not the way for them to catch human traffickers however. It is theater and will unfortunately have innocent people looked at with suspicion and subjected to false allegations at some point, that much is certain.

Last edited:

Yep.

Ughhhhhhhh.

That’s just ridiculous.

Ok.

Wow. You sure have a lot of time on your hands. I never said this didn't impact me negatively (I'm worried about our trip, too) and there have been plenty of other policy changes throughout the years that have caused massive headaches for us (did you happen to tour the parks on THE day they first introduced FP+ for day guests AND changed GAC to DAS at the very same time?! We did! Try navigating that with a disabled child) I simply pointed out that it doesn't matter when you booked (I booked prior to the explicit policy statement as well). The fact of the matter is, if we all decide to take the WDW trips we have booked, we know full-well we are now subject to this policy. We either go and deal with it. Or we cancel. I"m not sure what other choice any of us have. I would suggest taking a deep breath. You haven't even taken your trip yet and you are having an online hissy fit over something that may not impact your trip at all. Maybe cancel and stay offsite for the upcoming race so you aren't so angry about your trip. Unfortunately, Disney puts language in their terms and conditions which basically puts us at their mercy when we book a WDW resort room. Heck, we can't even guarantee we'll get the resort and room we booked because we are only guaranteed a room on-property.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter