So, how bad is Hulk and Dueling Dragons?

disney-super-mom

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone.

We're going to US/IOA for the very first time this year (Dec 9th, 10th, 11th).

I can handle ANY of the Disneyland and WDW coasters (love them all), and I've been on The Mummy at Universal Studios Hollywood several times, which was awesome.

I know that Rip-Ride-Rockit is OUT for me! Just looking at that vertical climb freaks me out. I really realllllllllly don't think I could ever ride it. :scared:

However, I was wondering about the Hulk and Dueling Dragons. They both look fun in pictures/videos. How do they compare to the coasters at WDW or Disneyland (like Rock-n-Rollercoaster or Screamin')? Do you think a person who enjoys RnR and Screamin' would like Hulk and Dueling Dragons, or is Hulk and DD way more intense?

However, I was wondering about the Hulk and Dueling Dragons. They both look fun in pictures/videos. How do they compare to the coasters at WDW or Disneyland (like Rock-n-Rollercoaster or Screamin')? Do you think a person who enjoys RnR and Screamin' would like Hulk and Dueling Dragons, or is Hulk and DD way more intense?
The coasters at Universal are more intense than any coaster Disney has but they are still fun! I think you would really enjoy all three coasters and make sure if you do Dueling Dragons, you try out both sides.

Hulk is much more intense than RnR at DHS, but I don't see any reason why someone who enjoys that coaster wouldn't be able to ride Hulk. They both launch and they both go upside down. One just does it three or four more times and is outdoors.

They are more intense but if you enjoy Disney's coasters, you will enjoy Uni's coasters. HRRR is really not in the least bit scary. When you go up the lift you are looking straight up and have no concept of how high you are.

You can't really compare Hulk to Screamin (which is just pure fun) - it is more like RnR but with more inversions.

I think Rip Ride Rockit is actually the least scary out of the tree. :laughing:

The vertical climb happens so fast, you don't even feel it.

I can do all of the coasters at Disney at least once, but I've become pretty ill after one ride on the Hulk and the Dragons. I haven't tried HRRR, but I was in line for it before it broke down. :headache: I think I could actually handle that one because it seems fairly quick with just that one loop. I guess the loops are what get me and Hulk and DD flip you around a lot! :sick:

The surprise launch on Hulk and the near-misses on Dragon Challenge are far more intense than the vertical climb of Rockit.

If you like RnR & Screamin, you'll have a blast on those three. You'll also like ROTM.

the coasters at Universal,including Rip Ride Rockit are more intense than the Disney coasters but if you can do Rock n Roller coaster at DHS then I think you can do them all.I've heard Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Orlando is better than its counterpart in Hollywood since they had a bigger building to work with.The least intense of the major coasters is Revenge of the Mummy followed by Dueling Dragons,and then Rip Ride Rockit with Hulk possibly a tad more intense.

Dueling Dragons I'd say is the mildest of the two, so try those first.
Hulk is excellent, but the initial launch always freaks me out!

I think Hulk is much milder than Dragons. A lot of people seem to have different opinions. If you're afraid of heights, Hulk is easier because the lift hill is covered and you just get shot out. On Dragons, its a slow climb and you're exposed outdoors.

they are both alot of fun the hulk looks more intense that it actually is, once you get past the first part which is the launch then it's fine. Dueling Dragons i find a little on the jerky side really have to make sure you hold your head in the middle but that is also fun:)

Wow, thanks for all the great advice and descriptions. :thumbsup2

For me, it's not the loops/inversions that I find scary. Actually I love the loops/inversions. That's the fun part! :woohoo:

I just don't like loooooong climbs and long, steep drops. Hate them actually. They really freak me out. I suppose I could just close my eyes, but a drop still feels like drop, even with your eyes closed. The drops on Expedition Everest, Splash, Screamin'.....those are my limit. Anything more intense than that for drops.....fa-get-about-it. :goodvibes

That's why I just don't think I could do Rip-Ride-Rockit. Just the thought of that climb....straight up.....looking straight up at the sky.....and then that first drop....practically straight down.....oh man, gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it. :scared1:

Of course I know the fear is all in my mind. Obviously nothing bad will really happen to me if I ride Rockit. It's a safe ride and I would be safe on it. But still......EEEEEK! I'm weak minded. :rolleyes1

I think the Hulk is worse than DD...If I go on the Hulk a half dozen times I end up with a headache. I think its the vibrations. DD is really smooth, we've road it multiple times on not so crowded night and really enjoyed it. It's really quite an experience at night.:thumbsup2

I've heard Revenge of the Mummy at Universal Orlando is better than its counterpart in Hollywood since they had a bigger building to work with.
Having been on both, I say yes to this. Hollywood's backwards section is longer, but UO's regular coaster section is longer.

Dueling Dragons I'd say is the mildest of the two, so try those first.
Hulk is excellent, but the initial launch always freaks me out!

I remember the first time I rode the Hulk and looked up and thought hey how are we going to get around that little loop at the top....then boom off we went. Since I am afraid of heights and the initial climb of a coaster freaks me out, I loved the Hulk and it is by far my favorite coaster. Can't wait to get there this year, last year I was 5 months pregnant and had to pass :rotfl2: but this year.... :scared1: away we go

What's the height requirement for those roller coasters and The Mummy? I don't care for coasters that much but did do The Mummy last year. Are they all the same height requirements?

What's the height requirement for those roller coasters and The Mummy? I don't care for coasters that much but did do The Mummy last year. Are they all the same height requirements?
Dueling Dragons and Hulk are 54" and the Rockit is 51" in comparison to Revenge of The Mummy which is 48"

We went on both the Fire and Ice sides on DD 2 weeks ago. We were in the second or third row for each. Those "near misses" were by far the most intense part of the ride for me!! Loved the ride. I did feel like my head banged around more the Ice side.

Sadly, we weren't able to go on Hulk. On the day we went it was closed from park opening until 3:30. On our way out of the park at 4:00 we were planning on riding it. Just as we were walking to line up, the cars got stuck on the track! We looked back 30 minutes later from City Walk....and the cars were still stuck....those poor people...all night we wondered how long they were stuck.

We went on both the Fire and Ice sides on DD 2 weeks ago. We were in the second or third row for each. Those "near misses" were by far the most intense part of the ride for me!! Loved the ride. I did feel like my head banged around more the Ice side.

Sadly, we weren't able to go on Hulk. On the day we went, it was closed from park opening until 3:30. On our way out of the park at 4:00 we were planning on riding it. Just as we were walking to line up, the cars got stuck on the track! We looked back 30 minutes later from City Walk....and the cars were still stuck....those poor people...all night we wondered how long they were stuck.

I always liked Fire better. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter