so how hard a drive is it from miami?

two hours!?!?!?!?!?!? yikes!!!
that's completely insane...
i thought JFK was bad, but i don't recall it ever being more than an hour...
2 hours is cruel and unusual punishment!!

I know! And you weren't allowed to use ur phone or anything in the wait area so it was 2 hrs stood up bored stiff waiting and waiting and waiting! I'd like to say it was a one off but we've had it at least every other time since flying to Miami.

I know! And you weren't allowed to use ur phone or anything in the wait area so it was 2 hrs stood up bored stiff waiting and waiting and waiting! I'd like to say it was a one off but we've had it at least every other time since flying to Miami.

oh yeah, no mobile phones...
my kids to this day laugh over the guards in the immigration area at JFK....."turn off your phone ma'am"....
there was a large group of south americans in line with us one year and they all kept turning on their phones..
the guards....military looking....marine like...
were VERY angry and kept saying in their booming voices "TURN OFF YOUR PHONE MA'AM....TURN OFF YOUR PHONE SIR..."...
my kids couldn't stop laughing..
ever since then it's a saying in our house "step away from your phone ma'am"...
if you ever saw that movie where the guy tries to get on the plane and the agent won't let him....anyway...
it amuses us..

We often do Miami both in and out. The drive isn't bad, about 4 hours on the freeway but on leaving day we tend to come off at Fort Lauderdale then drive down the coast and stop at one of the beautiful beaches ...and the benefit is also you fly into Heathrow not Gatwick ... Hate Gatwick

The estimates I've seen here for about 4 hours from MIA to Disney sound about correct. I've done it from Fort Lauderdale in about 3 hours and Miami is a little farther. It is not a difficult or slow drive, but it is incredibly monotonous. When you're comparing costs, also factor in that most of the drive from Miami to Orlando is on toll roads and that the car rental in Miami may (or may not) be more expensive than renting from Orlando.

Well we are flying in to Miami for the first time in a couple of weeks , the cost of the flights ( 4 ) was well over £1500 cheaper so it was something I think is worth the 'risk'. I've rented a car but now are having some reservations having read some reports about the high costs of 'sun pass ' toll charges added to the rental? I've always declined this when flying into Orlando but obviously more of a journey up to Orlando from Florida? Do I have any options here , can I decline it and just pay 'cash' tolls or can I purchase something in advance ? Any help thoughts , much appreciated

Well we are flying in to Miami for the first time in a couple of weeks , the cost of the flights ( 4 ) was well over £1500 cheaper so it was something I think is worth the 'risk'. I've rented a car but now are having some reservations having read some reports about the high costs of 'sun pass ' toll charges added to the rental? I've always declined this when flying into Orlando but obviously more of a journey up to Orlando from Florida? Do I have any options here , can I decline it and just pay 'cash' tolls or can I purchase something in advance ? Any help thoughts , much appreciated

I believe you can't decline it as its now included in all rental cars including those in Orlando but I might be wrong. It was no more expensive than using cash at every toll though. There is a lot of tolls between Miami and Orlando but not sure what you've read re "high costs".

I believe you can't decline it as its now included in all rental cars including those in Orlando but I might be wrong. It was no more expensive than using cash at every toll though. There is a lot of tolls between Miami and Orlando but not sure what you've read re "high costs".
Well I'm reading costs of upwards of $10 a day so $150 dollars or thereabouts , as we shan't be travelling much one we get to our hotel on property at Disney the only tolls we will really encounter are those Miami to Orlando and the return journey , so $150 on those circs is far more than the actual cash costs of the tolls . Hence why I was wondering if there was a way around the charges ?

Well I'm reading costs of upwards of $10 a day so $150 dollars or thereabouts , as we shan't be travelling much one we get to our hotel on property at Disney the only tolls we will really encounter are those Miami to Orlando and the return journey , so $150 on those circs is far more than the actual cash costs of the tolls . Hence why I was wondering if there was a way around the charges ?
Yeah I was offered a similar deal, if you are just doing a return trip to Miami, but keeping the car inbetween journeys it's not worth it.

Easy enough to decline, they just make you feel like you can't! I'm well seasoned in hiring cars and just cut them off at both extra insurance, sunpasses and sat navs!

I believe you can't decline it as its now included in all rental cars including those in Orlando but I might be wrong....

Not entirely true. For example, I usually rent out of Orlando, usually with Alamo and never use the toll/Sunpass option. The only time I use the toll road is from MCO to WDW and back, which is two cash tolls of $1.50 each way. However, for Miami, read below...

... Do I have any options here , can I decline it and just pay 'cash' tolls or can I purchase something in advance ? Any help thoughts , much appreciated

Depending upon the agency, you could decline it. As I stated above, with Alamo, you don't have to take the toll option. However, if you're going to take the Florida's Turnpike from Miami to Orlando, which is by far the best way, you can't pay cash as the Turnpike has gone to a cashless system. (They use something called 'toll by plate', which snaps pictures of your license plate). I'd recommend looking at the individual rental agency policies. Once again, I'd recommend Alamo, since they hit you with a surcharge (I want to say $3.95), but only on the day you use the tolls -- which may be just the day you drive to and from Miami. Some agencies hit you with the surcharge every day you have the rental, whether you use toll roads or not.

Not entirely true. For example, I usually rent out of Orlando, usually with Alamo and never use the toll/Sunpass option. The only time I use the toll road is from MCO to WDW and back, which is two cash tolls of $1.50 each way. However, for Miami, read below...

Depending upon the agency, you could decline it. As I stated above, with Alamo, you don't have to take the toll option. However, if you're going to take the Florida's Turnpike from Miami to Orlando, which is by far the best way, you can't pay cash as the Turnpike has gone to a cashless system. (They use something called 'toll by plate', which snaps pictures of your license plate). I'd recommend looking at the individual rental agency policies. Once again, I'd recommend Alamo, since they hit you with a surcharge (I want to say $3.95), but only on the day you use the tolls -- which may be just the day you drive to and from Miami. Some agencies hit you with the surcharge every day you have the rental, whether you use toll roads or not.
I think that's the problem - can't pay cash as the road has gone 'cashless' really wasn't aware of this . I've already booked with Thrifty / Dollar and it looks like they charge approx $10 a day regardless , which I simply hadn't realised . I just thought I'd decline it , but if I can't pay cash I can't do that and an extra $150 somewhat torpedoes the deal I got. Don't think there's any way around it unless anyone has any ideas ??

I think that's the problem - can't pay cash as the road has gone 'cashless' really wasn't aware of this . I've already booked with Thrifty / Dollar and it looks like they charge approx $10 a day regardless , which I simply hadn't realised . I just thought I'd decline it , but if I can't pay cash I can't do that and an extra $150 somewhat torpedoes the deal I got. Don't think there's any way around it unless anyone has any ideas ??

That's why I'd go with another agency, perhaps Alamo. Thrifty/Dollar has some of the better rental rates, but their toll policy is among the worst. Unless you paid a non-refundable prepay on your rental, I'd look into another agency.

Another suggestion would be to take I-95 to FL-528 instead of the Florida Turnpike. I-95 is free. FL-528 is a toll road, but has cash lanes. I think it would come out to about $5 or $6 each way. Its a little longer route, but not significant. One thing to be careful of with that and I can't really help you since I haven't flown into/out of MIA yet is that I think the main road out of Miami airport is itself a toll road, so you would also have to avoid that (there are local free options).

We flew into Miami and drove straight to Orlando. Our flight arrived in late and then immigration and the walk to pick up the car etc was confusing and long. I hated the airport!

Exiting the aiport we got lost.

It was about a 4 hour drive and boring. I felt unwell so it was hell for me, there was a lot of roadworks and not many places to stop off. I had to stay awake to keep my partner awake.

We arrived at the villa at 1am. If we flew to Miami again we would stay over the night of arrival. xx

We flew into Miami and drove straight to Orlando. Our flight arrived in late and then immigration and the walk to pick up the car etc was confusing and long. I hated the airport!

Exiting the aiport we got lost.

It was about a 4 hour drive and boring. I felt unwell so it was hell for me, there was a lot of roadworks and not many places to stop off. I had to stay awake to keep my partner awake.

We arrived at the villa at 1am. If we flew to Miami again we would stay over the night of arrival. xx
Well I'm afraid we are locked in to travelling straight from Miami to Orlando on the afternoon / evening we land , so we shall just have to make the most of it.
It looks like avoiding tolls ( cashless ones) is just going to be a pain which is probably not worth the hassle . From what I can see the weekly price is capped at around $50 so I'm probably just going to bite the bullet and 'enjoy the ride'
I've driven every time we've been to Florida but first time to Miami. I don't mind it being a 'boring' journey , I am a little concerned about seeking our way out of the airport , but hopefully it won't be too bad ..
Is the hire care pick ups on site ?

Well I'm afraid we are locked in to travelling straight from Miami to Orlando on the afternoon / evening we land , so we shall just have to make the most of it.
It looks like avoiding tolls ( cashless ones) is just going to be a pain which is probably not worth the hassle . From what I can see the weekly price is capped at around $50 so I'm probably just going to bite the bullet and 'enjoy the ride'
I've driven every time we've been to Florida but first time to Miami. I don't mind it being a 'boring' journey , I am a little concerned about seeking our way out of the airport , but hopefully it won't be too bad ..
The hire car centre is away from the terminals, you take a monorail to get there. It is very well signed.

ford family

Use Google Maps on your phone, and use the 'Avoid Tolls' option :)

Use Google Maps on your phone, and use the 'Avoid Tolls' option :)
Right...at least to get out of the Miami area. But if you use that the whole way, it'll add a lot of time to the trip. Best would be to avoid tolls in Miami, but go up I-95 to 528. 528 is a toll road, but you can pay cash. Doing that adds only about 30 minutes to the trip, if that. But using a strictly no toll route adds a lot more.

A few years ago we flew to Miami, it took four hours to get through immigration, we didn't get to our rental car until ten thirty at night, we then had the drive to Orlando! We arrived at the hotel in universal studios around 3am. We vowed never to fly into Miami again.

Right...at least to get out of the Miami area. But if you use that the whole way, it'll add a lot of time to the trip. Best would be to avoid tolls in Miami, but go up I-95 to 528. 528 is a toll road, but you can pay cash. Doing that adds only about 30 minutes to the trip, if that. But using a strictly no toll route adds a lot more.

Drive on Hwy 27 to Sebring ....Haines City ... AND EITHER Join I-4 EAST & follow Disney Signs

OR STAY on Hwy 27 till you turn RIGHT onto Hwy 192 & follow Disney Signs

THIS is a Toll Free Road ...... might take longer .... but there are eating places along the way

if the rental company caps the charge at $50, then that's not too bad....if it's a total of $50 for the entire rental period...

so if you have that sunpass thing on your car, then you may as well use the toll roads, which makes it an easier drive...

i've only driven between orlando and fort lauderdale, but i thought the turnpike was very easy in that section...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter