So Mickeys Halloween Party is now starting even earlier in August this year

People keep going to the Halloween parties. And closing MK early for more and more hard ticket evening events isn't causing overall park ticket sales to plummet. As long as those two things continue to be true what reason does Disney have not to keep going on as they are, with more and more party nights?

Very true.

It's the consumers' fault on this one.

Lots of people go to the Halloween parties for the special fireworks, parade, shows, trick or treating, the fun of dressing up, etc....Many people who do enjoy themselves at the parties, don’t even bother with rides or characters, so lines are a non-issue.
I strongly DISAGREE that "lines are a non-issue"! I've attended both the Halloween and Christmas Parties most every year for the last 10 or so. This past year will be my last because the crowds were SO heavy that it really wasn't fun anymore. (Think HUGE masses of people rushing around and pushing in the dark) Disney used to advertise the parties as "Capped number events". They don't do that anymore and now the park may actually be more crowded during the parties than they are during the days. Don't WASTE your money!

I strongly DISAGREE that "lines are a non-issue"! I've attended both the Halloween and Christmas Parties most every year for the last 10 or so. This past year will be my last because the crowds were SO heavy that it really wasn't fun anymore. (Think HUGE masses of people rushing around and pushing in the dark) Disney used to advertise the parties as "Capped number events". They don't do that anymore and now the park may actually be more crowded during the parties than they are during the days. Don't WASTE your money!
Crowds can be super heavy, yes, especially in front of the castle close to parades/fireworks time. And sorry you experienced people pushing in the dark. Yikes!

But we enjoy ourselves at the party by NOT lining up. Like I said, we skip rides/character meets, and trick or treat late in the evening. The parties are definitely not for everyone and it’s not something I recommend to most people, but even the sold out parties have been worth it to us. :goodvibes

We did the Halloween party last year. It was our first party and it was a massive disappointment. Peak time crowds made it impossible to do more than a handful of things in the time allocated for the party. The lines for meet and greets were absurdly long. Extending party dates are just another cash grab for Disney, and it cuts down park hours for people who have already bought parks admission tickets.

But until the audience wakes up and stops paying for these things, they will keep doing more and more of them.

Crowds can be super heavy, yes, especially in front of the castle close to parades/fireworks time. And sorry you experienced people pushing in the dark. Yikes!

But we enjoy ourselves at the party by NOT lining up. Like I said, we skip rides/character meets, and trick or treat late in the evening. The parties are definitely not for everyone and it’s not something I recommend to most people, but even the sold out parties have been worth it to us. :goodvibes

We went to our first party this past October. We had a blast. The lines weren't long at all to us and other than space mountain going down right as DW and DS were about to board everything was great. I'm not sure if we will do another in the future purely because it's cost prohibitive for a family of 4 on top of a trip to WDW.

We went to our first party this past October. We had a blast. The lines weren't long at all to us and other than space mountain going down right as DW and DS were about to board everything was great. I'm not sure if we will do another in the future purely because it's cost prohibitive for a family of 4 on top of a trip to WDW.
I did hear that a few of the parties last year had very low crowds.
I’m just happy when it doesn’t rain. :)

I saw soooo many complaints about huge crowds this year during the Halloween parties. Not as many for the Christmas ones, but the general consensus this year for the Halloween party was that it was definitely not worth it. Many figured the increase in crowds was the pass you were able to buy that allowed you to attend all parties.

The crowds will really vary from party to party and also where you happen to be at any given moment. Just like on any day where one person might say, "it was so crowded," and someone else might say, "crowds were light," one's experience can vary. If you are touring and kind of hitting every ride with a peak wait time you may think it is more crowded than it is as opposed to if you are luckily hitting them with minimal waits. Certainly, the parties are crowded, but not all are sell-outs and it can just depend. The fact that they are so crowded is why Disney keeps adding more and more - if anything that should help, though I would say that if they are going to offer more dates, the maximum attendance should be lowered a hair.

Last edited:
We went to our first Halloween Party at the end of August in 2017. I think it was the first year they were starting them in August because they only had the one date but I could be wrong about that. Anyway, we had a BLAST. It was so much fun and we really didn't even get on that many rides and we left EARLY. Now, some may say we wasted our money but we really only went for my niece to enjoy herself dressing up and getting some candy and we accomplished that. We went on a few rides that she was tall enough to get on, trick-or-treated, met no characters, watched the parade and watched the show (which is the ABSOLUTE BEST PART) and then my niece was done. She was tired and we were tired having been in MK all day and we were like "This was GREAT but I'm good. You good?" and then we left. We didn't think it was crowded and it got even less crowded after we left lol. We really felt like we got our money's worth even though we left early. Everyone's mindset is different so it's not quite fair to generalize that if you didn't get to go on a lot of rides that you didn't get enough value out of it. Anyway, all this to say that yes I totally support them extending the party in August. It lets more people enjoy a truly great Disney offering with great entertainment, fun, and overall value. For example, I know we'll never be there in October (in fact we didn't even visit last year - I know - a tragedy) and if Disney had not been offering the party that trip in August while we so happened to be there we would most likely never have gotten to experience it at all - ever. Also it was my birthday trip and I like Halloween and wanted to treat my family to something nice so you know as always YMMV.

The real question here is if they're selling more tickets now than they used to. The real issue is capacity control and what needs to be complained about instead of the extended dates. We haven't been to a party in two, almost three, years so it's totally possible that they've started selling more tickets making each party more crowded than the one we experienced - and that's something to absolutely complain about. At that point you're not getting the value that you paid extra for.

Husband and I did MNSSHP when we went back in September, and at the beginning of the party, it was great. We walked right onto Splash Mountain (which floored me because I was mentally prepared for long lines all day), waited 10 minutes for Mine Train, and stuff like that. Luckily we weren't there for character photos because it seemed like that's where the lines were. As the night went on, the crowds seemed to get more congested, though. It was a good first experience doing one of the parties for us, though.

Ouch. This will make MK fireworks so much more crowded for us non-party folks in August.

On the other hand - I hope F&W will start earlier this year too! Our trip is at the end of August so really hoping to have lots of F&W booths :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter