SO: Saturday Morning Cartoons from your childhood

Flinstones
Scooby Doo
Looney Tunes
Schoolhouse Rock!! I can still recite (actually I must sing it) the Preamble to the Constitution

Was that the show with Jimmy- and his magic flute? and Witchipoo?
Yes

151013-news-h-r-pufnstuf.jpg

Not cartoons, but my favorite Saturday morning shows were

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters
Land of the Lost
HR Pufnstuf

Oh the drug addled minds of Sid and Marty Krofft! I remember loving shows like Wonder Bug, Electro Woman and Dyna-Girl, Dr Shrinker...Lidsville...I mean those dudes were out of the brains and I loved them for it.

Loony Tunes and we were smart enough to know you didn't replicate the violence we saw in them. I'm glad we were smart enough as a generation not to necessitate a ban of them for our own safety. We also didn't eat laundry detergent so we had that going for us.

Saturday Mornings:
Strawberry Shortcake
Rainbow Brite
My Little Pony
The Littles
Gummi Bears
The Smurfs

After School:
Batman - Mark Hamill as the joker, loved.
DuckTales
TaleSpin
Darkwing Duck
Tiny Toons Adventures

Muppet Babies
The Get-Along Gang
WishKid
Popeye & Son
Hello Kitty's Furry Tail Theatre
The Swiss Family Robinson
Garfield & Friends
Smurfs
David the Gnome
Scooby Doo (every iteration)
Mr. Men & Little Miss
anything with Bugs Bunny
Maya the Bee
Cops
Tail Spin
Gem and the Holograms
Chip n' Dale's Rescue Rangers
Heathcliff
Yogi Bear
Ducktales
The Flinstones

Speed Racer. I adored that show: 'Here he comes, here comes Speed Racer, he's a demon on wheels-he's a demon and he's gonna be chasin' after someone...'
Mr. Magoo
Josie and the Pussycats
Star Trek-the cartoon one, not the original show although I came to love that one, too.

I remember H.R. Puffinstuff and the Banana Splits mostly, also loved the older cartoons like Chilly Willy, Quick Draw McGraw, Captain Kangaroo, and during the week there was Land of Play and Romper Room.

New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh will always be my favorite. The theme song still makes me so happy.

They just don’t make theme songs like they used to...the theme songs for Rescue Rangers, Duck Tales and New Adventures of Pooh were amazing!

Captain Caveman
Laff a Lympics
Superhero’s (?)

I do recall a few others I liked but not sure if they were saturday mornings or after school such as woody woodpecker, Tom and jerry, dastardly and muttly and grape ape.

New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh will always be my favorite. The theme song still makes me so happy.

They just don’t make theme songs like they used to...the theme songs for Rescue Rangers, Duck Tales and New Adventures of Pooh were amazing!

Also, Gummi Bears! Disney's nascent Television Animation arm was really knocking it out of the park in those early days. I never was that big on Winnie the Pooh, but I remember that version of the song. "Pooh Bear, Winnie the Pooh Bear...." :)

For me, the Saturday Morning cartoons and the Weekday cartoons were different. I grew up in the 80's like some of you where the weekday shows were the exciting ones, like He-Man, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Thundercats, etc. Saturday morning had good stuff too, but consisted of lighter fare for the most part. Alvin and the Chipmunks, Smurfs, Snorks, etc. I used to like the Pac-Man show and Saturday Supercade which was all video game based, including some rather trippy takes on Q-Bert and Frogger. They were kind of bizarre but I loved the games so I was in.

Does anyone remember how they would do the "Saturday Morning Preview" shows a few weeks prior in a prime time slot? This was how you would know what was coming on that year since we had no Internet or anything to tell us such things. That was always so fun!

Also, Gummi Bears! Disney's nascent Television Animation arm was really knocking it out of the park in those early days. I never was that big on Winnie the Pooh, but I remember that version of the song. "Pooh Bear, Winnie the Pooh Bear...." :)

OMG Yes Gummi Bears!!! I can’t remember what I had for lunch on Friday but I remember the entire Gummi Bears theme song lol

OMG Yes Gummi Bears!!! I can’t remember what I had for lunch on Friday but I remember the entire Gummi Bears theme song lol

But what about the extended cut? The original 4 "Disney Afternoon" shows (Gummi Bears technically started on Saturday mornings but it was from that team and they started repeats before Duck Tales on weekdays) had an album that had extra length versions of the songs. So, Gummi Bears, Duck Tales Rescue Rangers, and Tailspin all have songs with a second verse. It also has an extended version of the Disney Afternoon package wrap. Cool, eh? You can find them if you search, but I have copies if you're interested.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter