So unsure on which resort

PugLover

Mouseketeer
Hi Wise Disney Guru's...

I am on the verge of just about being nuts. We were all set for the CBR. Originally we were going to go 9/7 - 9/14. Sound good, right?

DH got a hold of my Frommer's 2003 WDW Guide (don't ever buy this, you are better of burning your 16.00) and saw that the CBR only got one star (as all the moderates/value resorts did). Whatever. Frommer's is usually excellent but this book really upset me regarding the reveiws of everything (food, attractions, resorts). I more trust real opinons and have been given wonderful reviews and advice from this board.

DH says.. "how much more for a deluxe"? Can you hear me screaming, LOL. After all this research on the CBR he now might want to stay elsewhere. Deep breaths.

The Poly and GF dont really strike my fancy, nor do the Swan or Dolphin. Don't ask me why because I couldnt really give you a good reason.

We are city people to the extreme and I know this sounds ridiculous but the WL seems to "hunterish". The AKL sounds great but the cost for the views is quite high and it also seems very secluded. After a new round of research it seems the BWI is our best fit. We can certainly wing a standard room or even a water view room. The conceriege room is a stretch but doable but I am wondering if it is totally worth it. We are going during non-peak so I am hoping that maybe they will upgrade our waterview room to conceriege (I dont count on it but a nifty little wish).

Also, DH now thinks we should stay an extra day, leave on Sat. instead of Sunday and I am not sure if that will negate my FTP pricing. We do not want to split our stay, I pack way too much to have to unpack twice, LOL.

Somebody tell me what to do, I cant think about this anymore! I think the BWI because of the boardwalk, Epcot and its good location.

Anybody else have a DH that messes up all the plans, LOL? I must be crazy, I am complaining about getting a better resort!

Frommer's gave us excellent advice for our trip to New Orleans, but I find their opinions on WDW to be horribly biased against. I don't know what's wrong with the people who evaluated WDW, but I think they've been to some horrible Sim-WDW set up by the competition. Rest assured that CBR is a wonderful resort, and we'd be going back if it wasn't a case of so many themes/so little time.

That said, if your DH wants to go to a Deluxe, and you can afford it, more power to you. Given the money, I'd be trying Boardwalk this time, too. Oh, well, some day. (Yacht Club looks nice too).

I don't think it will negate your FTP pricing. but you should ask CRO. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you. Whatever you do, have a great time!

Kungaloosh!
Mort.

I've stayed at the CBR twice and liked it. It is a big, spread out resort but it is still nice. The grounds are very pretty and the bus service was better then what we've had at the deluxes. That being said, our favorite is the Polynesian. It is tropical like the CBR but more so. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous as is the lobby, and the view of MK. It is so convenient to hop the monorail and go to MK or to catch the other monorail to Epcot. You can even take a boat to the MK or walk to the TTC. If you can afford the Polynesian I would try it. You will be surprised. We only stay at the Polynesian now and wouldn't consider going back to the CBR. Even though it was nice, it can't beat the deluxes!

Why don't you consider BC? It's got that beachy feel, as CBR, and the location is great. I've stayed at BC and liked it alot! Of course, WL is still my favorite though!

First off, the WL IS NOT too "hunterish: for NYC people. DH (still does) and I (used to) works in NYC. We lived in Hoboken for 8 years and considered (and still do since moving to the burbs) to be "city people". We still go out in the city often, when we can find a babysitter. The WL is just the most relaxing place on WDW property IMO. It's a GREAT place, and I don't think you should discount it without looking at some pictures. Go to www.wdwig.com click on accomdations. You'll see all the resorts and will be able to see TONS of pictures for all the resorts. Now, about BWI, I've never stayed there, but it is a BEATUIFUL resort, and has a GREAT location. It is a bit more formal than BC and a little less formal than YC. You will still be able to get the FT package for 8 nights, but you will signifcantly increase your costs that way. Using the BWI as an example for your dates 9/6 - 9/14 you'd pay $2,647 in a water room. Where as if you check in 9/7 and stay until 9/14 you'd pay $2,177. The reason is the FT is offering pay for 4 nights, get 3 nights free. By staying the additional night, you aren't receiving any additional savings and paying full rack rate for the room for that additional night.

My Unofficial guide 2001 gave CBR a bad review. REMEMBER...
that the rooms were recently refurbished! The rooms were a HUGE part of the CBR bashing going on as of late!

Now the rooms are gorgeous!!!!!! CSR is my favorite resort, but I still give CBR the edge on rooms. These rooms are so bright and beautiful. Tons of space and tons of storgae!!! A really nice curtain separates the dressing area form the room. The pools and beaches are lovely and the FOOD COURT was JUST refurbished AND they have a brand-new sit-down restaurant (the old one was not that great). I think you should stick to your original plan, as there is nothing wrong with CBR!!!!! This is coming from a BIG CSR fan!

The CBR is really beautiful - you won't be disappointed in this resort.

We stayed in Jamaica 45 last time and that building is ideal. Just a short walk over the bridge to the food court. There was a beautiful orange tree right outside our door.

If you can go deluxe- go for it!!!! I think it's well worth the money and we always stay at a deluxe if we can swing it.

I've heard wonderful things about the BWI, we have friends that go every year and won't stay anyplace else. We've explored it and it is very pretty and so convient. Being next to Epcot, on the Boardwalk and across from the Y&B gives you a wide variety of restaurants and entertainment options as well.

I say go for the deluxe, I don't think you'll regret it!!

given your situation and my personal preferences based on reading reviews on all the resorts mentioned - I decided for you-
Go to the Boardwalk Inn!! You won't be disappointed and will love the surrey bikes and location.
There, solved....now go plan and have a great time!!!
Tara

The upgrade to concierge is indeed a nifty wish - but seriously - upgrades to concierge are rare. You would be more likely to be upgraded from standard view to water view.

I am sure you will love the boardwalk and enjoy that location I am also pretty certain your would love CBR - sorry about that book confusing you - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I also agree with you 100% about wilderness lodge - it's got the rustic, woodsy feel to it - but you know - if concierge is really what interests you - you can book a standard room at WL for the best price possible and then pay a low daily rate to upgrade to concierge at check in (if it's available)

Have fun no matter where you stay,

>>^..^<<

Thanks everybody!

I made a typo... my "nifty wish" was to be upgraded from a standard to a waterview at the BWI. Yikes, wouldnt an upgrade to conceirge be nice, LOL.

Also, adding an extra day to our stay wasnt for saving money purposes, it was just so we had an extra full day since we wont arrive until mid to late afternoon on Sat.

Somebody mentioned you can book a waterview at the BWI and pay a low daily fee to be upgraded to conceirge (did I understand that correctly)? Can anybody say the daily fee?

I hope I didnt offend anybody by saying we thought the WL was too "hunterish" to us. We obviously enjoy certain surroundings more than others. Of course before booking any resort/hotel at any location we would do research and look at as many photos as we could find. We dont mind spending the money to vacation but we also want to make sure that money is well spent.

It will either be the BWI or CBR. I told DH to decide by Friday.

Thanks Again :)

Originally posted by PugLover
Somebody mentioned you can book a waterview at the BWI and pay a low daily fee to be upgraded to conceirge (did I understand that correctly)? Can anybody say the daily fee?

Hi there.. that was me but I was talking about wilderness lodge - if staying concierge really interests you - you can upgrade there for a daily fee based on availability.

>>^..^<<

I would stay there - we loved the villas. Now about your FTP dilemma...if you don't need admission on one of your travel days, you can book a separate ressie for one night through CRO (if you have AAA, be sure to ask for that rate). We did this on our other package trips. You can either book the first night, so you have admission first thing the next morning, or your last night, if you are leaving for home midday. My husband would just tell them upon arrival, and he would go to the front desk to get rekeyed the day of the change - no room change necessary. Of course, make sure paying for one night separate is indeed cheaper than just adding a night to your package.

Could it possibly be less expensive to rent points and stay at the BWV instead of the BWI? I haven't priced out a studio or 1 BDR at the BWV plus passes vs. the FTP at the BWI, but it might be something to look into:D

I'm a HUGE CBR fan! LOVED IT! We checked out WL and DH would love to stay there...IMO it looked like a giant Lincoln log house...but that's just me. We checked out a room when we were there too, Wood's View..3rd floor I believe. Anyway the balcony was nice but the room didn't seem as large as CBR's? Maybe it was just the set up. I perfered CBR because you are in seperate buildings and it's quiet and peaceful.
Don't go by any guides when it comes to CBR, too many of them have given a thumbs down and personally I'd take the opinion of a DISer over any guide anyway.
Good Luck with your decision, either way your at WDW ONSITE!!!

I will have to cast my vote for BWI. The reason? With the FTP, this is such a wonderful opportunity to try out the deluxe at a reasonable rate. Yes CBR would be much cheaper with the package, but it doesn't seem like the cost for BWI is out of your budget. Without the FTP, you might not be able to have a deluxe as an option. So take advantage of it and try it out. We had a standard view and REALLY liked it. We were able to watch the fireworks at EPCOT from our balcony. Also, we were near a set of stairs that led right out to the bus stop, so we didn't have the LOOONNNGGGG walk down the halls to the elevator every time we went out. So book the standard, request a location like that by fax ahead of time and then still hope for an upgrade at check in!
I agree with you about WL. We are from the northeast and really don't have any desire to stay there. Yes I'm sure that it is VERY nice, but I just don't view that as my idea of a Florida vacation. That's just MHO. I know MANY people disagree and that's okay. That means less people to stay at MY favorite resort (AKL)! ;)

You'll really love the Boardwalk, give it a try. Its right in the middle of it all, walking distance to two parks, and lots of nightlife (for some reason I'm assuming you guys don't have kids, don't know if I am right.)

If you want to save money, I'm sure CBR is fine, but if you think you might want to try a deluxe, these discounts offer a great opportunity to do that!

Yes, Jen D you are correct, we do not have children. This September trip is a belated 4th wedding anniversary trip for us (anniv. is 6/26). I imagine it will be another four or five years before we have to wonder what Disney resort to stay at with the kiddies :)

I think we are now leaning towards the BWI waterview. We do like nightlife but we also like just to chill out on the balcony with some wine and just observe our surroundings. We also just enjoy walking around and seeing what there is to see. Our rental car will allow us to explore the other resorts. Originally my DH and I and sister and brother - in - law were planning a Thanksgiving trip to Aruba. My sister really seems excited about me going to Disney so I have a feeling we might be changing our Thanksgiving plans from Aruba to Disney. My sister and brother in law are going to St. Lucia in Aug. so they might be ready for another sort of trip anyhow. My brother in law (I think) would dig the AKL or WL so we will have to do some exploring and give him a report.

I suppose I should reserve the BWI - waterview then fax a request in and ask, if at all possible, to have a king bed. The only thing I wonder about is the balcony... as per the website it says "most" of the waterview rooms have the balcony. Knowing our luck we will get a room without one, LOL.

Disney is tough to plan, there is SO MUCH INFO and so many decisions to make.

Have a great day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter