So...when do you think you will get back?

Our 2021 vacation now goes by the nickname “new furnace.”

Our 2022 trip will probably be known as “basement renovations.”

Beyond that, I’m honestly not sure. But I know it’ll be some time before we feel comfortable with returning, so we decided why not put the money into something we’ll enjoy and get value from in the meantime.

Last edited:
Apparently it could be 2 or 3 years before we get back to pre-covid "normal". Even with a vaccine. I'm not sure what to think any more. It would be nice to go back in 2022 summer, normally I'd be planning for next summer but I realize that may not be practical. I thought 2022 would be "safe" but what they are saying (Dr Tam) now I don't know. I guess I'll just keep saving and man that next trip is going to be amazing... Deluxe stay perhaps.

it’s fun to think about the ways to really splurge on a trip! i feel like you said somewhere else that you want to go longer, when it’s time to finally return. you could always do a split stay between a mod and deluxe so you keep a long trip and stay somewhere exciting.

i so miss planning trips and hearing others plan trips. it’s gonna be a long couple years.

For those with DVC.. dont jump and sell right away...if you can rent, or better bank your points do that as a first step. Then lets all see what happens in 6 months. For thise who bank, you now can stay in bigger accomidations or longer Stays. Or rent out to the Americans still going and cover plus your mf. We are holding on. As the wife says 40 more years of Disney...thats a long time to get over this.
Those of us that are always in a constant state of borrowing are finally able to catch up :rotfl2: We have a September UY and next month I think we are getting a total of 47 points :rolleyes1:rotfl2:I'll actually be banking for the first time ever so we can have a bigger 2022 trip lol

Those of us that are always in a constant state of borrowing are finally able to catch up :rotfl2: We have a September UY and next month I think we are getting a total of 47 points :rolleyes1:rotfl2:I'll actually be banking for the first time ever so we can have a bigger 2022 trip lol
same boat here...but all caught up after half our march trip cancelled. It was the larger portion of the trip. We do split stays, and 1st half was studio at BLT, back half and longer 1bdrm at BW. So sad that it was cancelled, but seeing my points almost wherre they should be,,ahh here comes 2022

it’s fun to think about the ways to really splurge on a trip! i feel like you said somewhere else that you want to go longer, when it’s time to finally return. you could always do a split stay between a mod and deluxe so you keep a long trip and stay somewhere exciting.

i so miss planning trips and hearing others plan trips. it’s gonna be a long couple years.

Yes, hoping for 2 weeks at least, and that is a great idea! Mod and Deluxe. We have wanted to stay at CBR or CSR, even though we enjoy POP and the All Stars. We were lucky to stay at Yacht Club 3 summers ago and it was so amazing. It was a really good deal. I'd love to stay at Contemporary to be able to walk to MK. But Stormalong Bay is so much fun! Ah well, looks like I have a lot of time to plan and dream :) The planning is a good part of the fun to me, for Disney and cruises.

Yes, hoping for 2 weeks at least, and that is a great idea! Mod and Deluxe. We have wanted to stay at CBR or CSR, even though we enjoy POP and the All Stars. We were lucky to stay at Yacht Club 3 summers ago and it was so amazing. It was a really good deal. I'd love to stay at Contemporary to be able to walk to MK. But Stormalong Bay is so much fun! Ah well, looks like I have a lot of time to plan and dream :) The planning is a good part of the fun to me, for Disney and cruises.

If those are your tried and true resorts, you could even do a value/deluxe split. After our last trip, I’m pretty sure we’re going to want to stay somewhere with Skyliner access. It was so convenient and fun. So either CBR or POP would be great for that.

Oh and Beaches and Cream is so much bigger now, so at Yacht Club you’d have sundaes all the time, if you wanted! It’s fun to dream, even just for a minute :)

If those are your tried and true resorts, you could even do a value/deluxe split. After our last trip, I’m pretty sure we’re going to want to stay somewhere with Skyliner access. It was so convenient and fun. So either CBR or POP would be great for that.

Oh and Beaches and Cream is so much bigger now, so at Yacht Club you’d have sundaes all the time, if you wanted! It’s fun to dream, even just for a minute :)

OH yeah, skyliner! It wasn't operating when we went last summer, though it was testing and we both thought it looked pretty awesome! I am thinking CBR and a Deluxe. We thought CSR because we went past it every time we went to a park from the All Stars so we figured it was closer to everything. We had lunch at Beaches and Cream when we stayed at YC, and we want to try Cape May (we both love seafood) for dinner. POP is great too though, we love the renovated rooms. I think we've stayed at POP 2 or 3 times now, plus once at AoA though we don't prefer it simply because it's not renovated and the walk from those little mermaid rooms is so far. Ah, dreaming is fun :)

Our 2021 vacation now goes by the nickname “new furnace.”

Our 2022 trip will probably be known as “basement renovations.”

Beyond that, I’m honestly not sure. But I know it’ll be some time before we feel comfortable with returning, so we decided why not put the money into something we’ll enjoy and get value from in the meantime.

In all seriousness, I would imagine it has forced a lot of people to reconsider their spending habits.

We were discussing again this weekend. Current prognostication is that we might go back just to enjoy our timeshare for March break IF border conditions permit and transmission is fairly low in Orlando. We will NOT be returning to any theme parks however. If a 14 day quarantine is still required we will not be going.

Thinking is that our risk is manageable if we stay in our timeshare. We were at a traded timeshare in Hilton Head this March break when this whole thing started, and the experience wasn't really that bad (and nobody had the faintest idea what to do). I would not go anywhere near the US right now, but by March I expect that they should have 5 months under a new administration and be getting things back under control. So, no large crowds (i.e. parks) for us, but we know the area around our TS like the back of hands and know where to get all the necessary supplies. I assume that Publix in Orlando would seem a lot like Loblaws in Ottawa. It strikes me that the anti-maskers will be haunting WalMart as usual.

I might install an extended range gas tank in the truck so that I can get around 1000 km between gas stops (2-3 stops each way). My truck goes over 600km now on a tank. We would probably drive straight through tag team (6 4-hour shifts each) forgoing a hotel stay this time. All this just so we can escape Canada's winter and spend a few glorious days lounging by the pool, which is unwittingly how we ended up spending our March 2020 vacation.

We spent our 2020 DCL budget on our master bedroom (new bed, mattress, etc.) and now we are shopping to install an in-ground pool and re-doing the whole backyard. That means no trip in 2021 and not every year after that... We will enjoy our backyard instead of traveling and spending our money overseas.

Last edited:
I planned Nov 2020 Disneyland with DVC points 11 months in advance. I keep illogically holding out hope that something might change in 3 months, so I haven't cancelled my coveted VGC reservation yet. I also have Feb 2021 at Aulani, which seems like it has a slightly better chance of actually happening with the negative testing requirement within 72 hours, but if the Canadian government still requires 14 days quarantine upon return, that won't work. Assuming DL +/- Aulani is not happening, I am having a tough time deciding if I should rent my expiring DVC points (as points vs rent the VGC stay I already have), or just move Aulani back from February into late January to use the points right before they expire. If Aulani doesn't happen late Jan, I wonder if it would be possible to deposit my points into RCI so late? Not sure what to do. After that, I am hoping for a fall 2021 DCL/WDW combo. I love the planning, but DVC definitely complicates it because I don't want any points to go to waste and I have never rented my points.

Dr Tam’s discussion yesterday about how we will be at this for the coming two to three years was sobering. She didn’t say anything I didn’t already know, but hearing it makes it real. On the weekend I was dreaming about using my 289 banked pointed to book an OKW GV for five nights in May of 2021. Dreaming is probably the operative word here. At some point, I’m going to have to consider putting points in the rental market. I don’t think we will be back for some time. We have 1013 points in the 2020 use year, so we are talking LOTS of points to consider. I had hoped a fiftieth birthday trip was in order in October 2022. Now even that seems doubtful. We are pretty conservative in all our plans surrounding Covid as dh is high risk.

We cancelled all our trips for 2020 after holding out hope for November. We have decided to put a pool in at home since it seems like next year is still in question. I really hope to be back in 2021 but its starting to seem like that may not happen.

We cancelled all our trips for 2020 after holding out hope for November. We have decided to put a pool in at home since it seems like next year is still in question. I really hope to be back in 2021 but its starting to seem like that may not happen.
The upside here is I think you’ll love your pool. But you’re right, 2021 is looking bleak right now. Best to enjoy your own home to the fullest. I guess we can count pandemics in the con column for timeshare ownership.

Sturgis - Really????

Events like that and the seemingly endless appetite for flying in the face of all expert advice in the name of “freedom” will keep us on our side of the border for a long time. Does anyone else feel like that light at the end of our travel tunnel is getting smaller every day?

Sturgis - Really????

Events like that and the seemingly endless appetite for flying in the face of all expert advice in the name of “freedom” will keep us on our side of the border for a long time. Does anyone else feel like that light at the end of our travel tunnel is getting smaller every day?
Just saw that too. Crazy. Yeah, I keep hoping things will get better "down there" so travel restrictions will ease, but nope.

Sturgis - Really????

Stuff like the gathering in Sturgis just reinforces that we need to keep the border closed for the foreseeable future.

There are clearly some states taking things more seriously but watching some of the news around fully opening schools that is coming from the states that are still having high infection/hospitalization rates just seems so reckless.

Looking at potential alternate destinations. I’d like to go back to Banff for a few days, or maybe even see Disneyland Paris. DD, who is my primary travel companion, is still firmly holding out for WDW.

I could see us resetting for late 2021, but a lot will honestly depend on the US election. I cannot see a second term in office making he-who-shall-not-be-named any smarter or saner. Or humbler.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!