Solar eclipse: Excited or just "meh"?

Depends on your location.

NASA says it will start around 10:16 am PST, and will end approx 1.5 hours later in South Carolina.

Sorry, I should have looked it up to begin with. :)

Last edited:
I have no interest in it - I remember one from when I was a kid, and it was not at all awe inspiring. I'm a professional scientist, though, and several of my colleagues are taking their summer vacations to see it.

My sister in Idaho will be in the prime viewing zone but I have no desire to travel up there -- partly because her DH is a bit of a jerk, and partly because we've already been out of town so much lately.

In other words, the eclipse just isn't a priority.

Last edited:

Excited & anxious as well. Our area is supposed to get a HUGE influx of visitors and MODOT is predicting gas shortages, and traffic delays of 2-6 hours in our immediate area.

Excited & anxious as well. Our area is supposed to get a HUGE influx of visitors and MODOT is predicting gas shortages, and traffic delays of 2-6 hours in our immediate area.

If that's the case, I think I'd pack up and leave days before if I lived in an area of totality. Maybe rent out the house for $5000.

I have a feeling many will be disappointed and underwhelmed by the experience. Reality rarely lives up to the hype.

I have a feeling many will be disappointed and underwhelmed by the experience. Reality rarely lives up to the hype.

To me watching the Super Bowl is "meh." I know, comparing apples to oranges, but what I do like about the Super Bowl is an opportunity to gather socially with family, friends and neighbors. That is how I feel about the eclipse and I am really looking forward to our watch party, it is more than the actual eclipse, although I AM one that is wowed by natural science. Moon pies for everyone and make mine banana.

I'm really excited! I live somewhere that would've been prime viewing, but as fate would have it, I *have* to be in FL/GA that week. Fortunately, the places I have to be aren't far from the path of totality! So I'm making a day trip to Blue Ridge and Blairsville to catch the eclipse. Hoping the sky will be clear.

To me watching the Super Bowl is "meh."
When you tell someone you're not that interested in the Super Bowl, do you get the following responses?
It's just sad if they can't appreciate a relatively rare astronomical event.
Yes, the SB isn't a rare astronomical event, but you get the idea.

I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone, especially anyone in the path of totality, cannot be excited about this!

And when you say why you don't care, you get accused of bringing others down?
But no you just have to pee in peoples cheerios.

I remember watching one when I worked in a bank. We all went out in the courtyard with pinhole cards and microfiche!

I just read the other day that we're going to be able to see a higher percentage here that I thought, so I'm looking forward to it. I think I'm going to go to a presentation at a nearby university and watch from there - taking DS if he's interested, and probably a couple of his friends.

I love the moon pie idea!

ive never seen a full solar eclipse in my life and im driving from MA to SC to see totality. i dont understand how anyone could find this 'meh'. nothing in your regular life is as amazing on a grand scale than actual celestial phenomenon like this.

I just couldn't care less about this. I mean, every night we get plunged into darkness for 10 WHOLE HOURS. This is just not that exciting.

Nighttime is no where near as exciting as darkness in the middle of the afternoon...

nothing in your regular life is as amazing on a grand scale than actual celestial phenomenon like this.
I'd rather see the smiles on my wife and kids. That will have more of an affect on me than 170 seconds of darkness.

Nighttime is no where near as exciting as darkness in the middle of the afternoon...

Okay. To me, no difference. Ever been in a really bad thunderstorm? It gets dark during the day. Doesn't interest me!

It will NOT go pitch black like nighttime, by the way. Hope you are not expecting that.

I'd rather see the smiles on my wife and kids. That will have more of an affect on me than 170 seconds of darkness.

So something you can see daily....how boring.

Okay. To me, no difference. Ever been in a really bad thunderstorm? It gets dark during the day. Doesn't interest me!

It will NOT go pitch black like nighttime, by the way. Hope you are not expecting that.

Not expecting pitch black. There is a difference. Cloudy skies do not equal the sun being pushed into a shadow of another celestial object.

When you tell someone you're not that interested in the Super Bowl, do you get the following responses?
Yes, the SB isn't a rare astronomical event, but you get the idea.

Actually, until today, I pretty much have kept my Super Bowl opinion to myself knowing the reaction I would get, LOL. I do think it's safe to say I will only be disappointed in the total eclipse if it is a cloudy day.

Last edited:
ive never seen a full solar eclipse in my life and im driving from MA to SC to see totality. i dont understand how anyone could find this 'meh'. nothing in your regular life is as amazing on a grand scale than actual celestial phenomenon like this.
Maybe nothing is as amazing in your life. It is in mine and it doesn't require driving anywhere or buying super special glasses to see. I have seen a lunar and solar eclipse. They were both meh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter