Solar...

I'll fly for this Mickey Mouse outfit!
Anyone using solar for dry camping? Thoughts? Good systems. The trailer we got in January has a solar hook up built in (although I have not looked much into it). We generally have gone to campgrounds with more stuff/hook ups for kids, but would consider other options so long as I have more than the power all ready stored in battery at set up. Don’t want generator.

Do you mean a solar panel? If yes; we have one panel. It came with our rv, so we did not install it post delivery.
We tend to go to campgrounds with hook-ups, but there are often no hook-ups at the National Parks that we go to. With the solar panel we can have electricity to run our lights, laptops and our television. I don't think (I could be wrong) that we could run the microwave with the solar panel. We use the generator for the microwave.
Hope this helps.

Anyone using solar for dry camping? Thoughts? Good systems. The trailer we got in January has a solar hook up built in (although I have not looked much into it). We generally have gone to campgrounds with more stuff/hook ups for kids, but would consider other options so long as I have more than the power all ready stored in battery at set up. Don’t want generator.

A single panel is not going to do it. We have a friend that has the entire roof done on a custom 53 foot trailer in solar. They can farm more power than they use in the summer, but they have a huge battery bank that is housed in the basement of their trailer.
If your fridge is propane fired, you have a better chance at it, but even then if power drops too low it will not ignite. You would have to know how much power your solar panel is farming as a first step.

Search for "A Passion for What's Next", they have an HDT and a breakdown on their trailer. They are on FaBook.

Yah...I'm only looking to be able to have lights and operate water pump...fridge is propane. Just want to be able to charge battery reliably and enough to keep me going.

Yah...I'm only looking to be able to have lights and operate water pump...fridge is propane. Just want to be able to charge battery reliably and enough to keep me going.

One or two panels should be all you need. That should keep you topped off.

If you're willing to live with that little of power consumption, your LIMFAC is going to be water. Specifically gray water production and fresh consumption. With a family of 4 in our old rig (30 gal fresh, and 2x20 gal gray tanks) we could go 3ish days depending on how stinky the kids got playing outside (navy shower everyday or every other). I could usually stretch it carrying jugs of water, but then I'd bump up against gray capacity on day 4.

We only had 1 battery and would charge it a few hours on the generator as needed. I also use the battery/alternator on the truck through the 7-way in a pinch boondocking as well.

As PaHunter said, if you don't need the microwave, TV, AC, a fan, etc you'll probably be ok. The size of your battery could be important on a shady/rainy day when a single panel can't keep up though.

Yup, i dont have solar. But for lights and pump one or two pannel set up will do it. I would opt for at least a 2 battery set up, but you can tey it out first to see how long you can go. Worst comes to worst hook jumper cables to the tv for power. If you use the heater that fan will burn through some power, so you need to have the 2 battery set up for that. But for just, 12 volt things and charging 2 panels should be real good. Just remember some sites have less acess to the sun. Swap to led lights ( if there not allready instaled.

If you use the heater that fan will burn through some power, so you need to have the 2 battery set up for that.
Facts. First time ever boondocking on a unseasonably cold spring night in OK the battery crapped out running the furnace. DW was already unhappy with the location and several other factors of trying a new thing. Heater was the icing on the cake. Strength of marriage tested.

Now we boondock regularly though. I like it much better than the stuffy KOA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter