Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason the only character I want an actual spinoff movie for is Maz Katana. Her scene in Last Jedi made me so curious. She’s just some random space pirate who’s lived a long life still going on random adventures! I feel like everyone else whose considered is fine but is just having their arcs stretched to filler material now. I couldn’t help but feel that when they announced Solo. I was perfectly content with not knowing his past, and he seemed like the character of “who cares it’s in the past” and if anything could’ve been told in a short film, not a feature. I’m probably going to skip this one for that reason, and the production problems don’t help either

The (finally) trailer looks pretty good. Looks like they’re going to include the idea that’s out there in the books that he started out as an Imperial pilot (maybe everyone already knew that - I haven’t been keeping up with movie news). It looks like it could be ok. Rogue 1 had production problems too and I really liked it so I’ll probably give this a try.

This could be hit or miss.

If people were angered how they perceived the character of Luke to change from the Original Trilogy (which didn't bother me .. as this Last Jedi was set in the future), they will be equally angered at how the most iconic character of the franchise is handled in his mysterious past.

Having Star Wars movies is a good thing, but I think Disney needs to branch off and create new characters and such. That's why Rogue One was such a big hit. It introduced brand new characters so there were no preconceived notions clouding judgment.

If people were angered how they perceived the character of Luke to change from the Original Trilogy (which didn't bother me .. as this Last Jedi was set in the future), they will be equally angered at how the most iconic character of the franchise is handled in his mysterious past.

Having Star Wars movies is a good thing, but I think Disney needs to branch off and create new characters and such. That's why Rogue One was such a big hit. It introduced brand new characters so there were no preconceived notions clouding judgment.

Yeah, I think it depends. If they get the character “right” by most people’s definition it could be a huge hit. They have to be in the neighborhood of what people feel the character would do though. I think the issue was they went pretty far out of the neighborhood with Luke. Some were willing to accept that, others weren’t. So yes, I think you’re right but I think the way I would say it is if they want to take beloved characters out for a spin, they should play it a little safe. If they want to get creative, they should come up with new characters. And maybe that was part of the director shuffle. They did go more for safe.

The (finally) trailer looks pretty good. Looks like they’re going to include the idea that’s out there in the books that he started out as an Imperial pilot (maybe everyone already knew that - I haven’t been keeping up with movie news). It looks like it could be ok. Rogue 1 had production problems too and I really liked it so I’ll probably give this a try.

It actually gave me a bit of a Rouge One vibe - especially at the beginning. Definitely had a darker feel than I was expecting - but could just be good editing for the teaser trailer. Definitely feel better now than I did before this, but lots of time left for that to change

I agree - though I guess they are trying to have their cake and eat it too with introducing new characters in the new films but then having these one-off movies that focus on characters/stories we know for current fans

Wonder if this one will wind up being viewed as "cool story - but wish it was around someone new rather than 'ruining' Han Solo"

I am trusting Ron Howard. He's made several movies I enjoyed in the past. Apollo 13 in one of my favorite non Star Wars/Trek Space movies. And the final teaser Trailer looked fantastic. I couldn't stop grinning. If it's half as enjoyable as Rogue One, I will be pleased.

The whole It's fine, We're fine got me too. And CHEWIE!

And I think it's a little too early to say they are "Ruining Han Solo." I feel for the young actor who is portraying him. It's going to be tough to measure up to Harrison Ford.

I just want to know how he "made the Kessel Run in less than twelve 'parsecs.'"

I'll nerd for ya. While this was likely just a mistake in the original script, it has been explained that the Kesel Run is about finding the best possible Hyperspace route through a certain area of space. At relativistic speeds in a moving universe (everything is moving in space) it is possible to shave off actual distance if you do it right. Anyway, that's just to cover for the mistake. Maybe they will explain it in the movie.

I thought the teaser looked really good!

I don’t know if I’m as curious about Han as I am about Chewie and Lando. We both will learn more about them too so I’m happy about that.

Fully agree about Lando - we don't know that much about him and he wound up playing a pretty big role in Episodes V and VI. Chewy there is a bit about him in the books and stuff so i am still interested in how they initially meet and how Han received the life debt from Chewie, but don't need too much on his back story as a whole

Plus I could see them doing a separate spin off on Kashyyyk at some point

I'm reserving any opinions until I've seen it - but I've never had high expectations for the movie given its subject matter and troubled production (which is not to say that I think it'll be bad - I'm just not sure what to make of it). The darker tone of the teaser is interesting - given Solo's light-hearted character, major roles filled by comedic actors Harrelson and Glover, and that the project began under former directors Lord and Miller. But - it is only a teaser (and, as we know, they're never misleading *cough*). Also interesting was keeping Alden Ehrenreich mostly unseen - I've liked him in other stuff he's done, but he has some big shoes to fill and mostly shooting the namesake of the movie from behind here seemed unusual - as though they wanted to take the focus off of him. And then there's Ron Howard - a thoroughly professional and competent director whose movies have never done much for me personally.

For some reason the only character I want an actual spinoff movie for is Maz Katana. Her scene in Last Jedi made me so curious.
I agree with you on moving on to other, minor (or unknown) characters in the spin-off series. What you've described is what I call the Star Wars Uncertainty Principle (also known as the Boba Fett Theorem) that predicts that the mysteriousness of a character is inversely proportional to our interest level. FWIW, this principle is often confused with Schrodinger's Wookie, which only addresses whether Chewbacca is alive or dead in the sealed smuggling compartment while Imperials search the Falcon.

What you've described is what I call the Star Wars Uncertainty Principle (also known as the Boba Fett Theorem) that predicts that the mysteriousness of a character is inversely proportional to our interest level.

See: Snoke, Supreme Leader

The official trailer is out.

Not sure if it is because of the mentions from before so I'm biased, but I'm not digging the actor at all.
I think the actor choice is the big question or uncertainty to many.

The official trailer is out.

Not sure if it is because of the mentions from before so I'm biased, but I'm not digging the actor at all.

Looks pretty good - and way it is structured in that Chewie answers for he and Han, he must meet Han before this "crew" is put together

Not sure why Han Solo when he's younger sounds like he had a smokers voice more than when he is older though. So far I think his voice is throwing me off more than looks/acting

The actor choice was a no-win in almost any choice. It's an iconic role for one man. I'm amazed they went this direction at all.

especially with the new trilogy just out and Harrison Ford reprising his role and that still fresh in people's minds. May have worked better further down the road than right now - not like there aren't other stories they could have picks. Heck, they could have focused the movie on Lando and had Han as a side character to get people used it another actor first

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter