Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha, love the RedLetterMedia references some of you have made. I feel the same way.
Showing me things I already know just doesn't do it for me. What an underwhelming trailer... and this looks like it could be pretty terrible, but I hope it's not.

Honestly, I wish Star Wars would go away for a while. We can't miss it if they keep churning these out... But I guess we can expect a new Star Wars movie from now until the end of time though. Lucky us.

People don't seem to be stagnating over Marvel films so I wonder why with Star Wars

I think it will depend. People aren't stagnating on Marvel movies, but I would argue a big reason why is that the movies aren't really interrelated. What I mean is you have a movie like Iron Man which has a completely different villain and setting from Guardians, etc. Every Star Wars movie so far has had the same bad guys more or less, and while the planets may change slightly, the majority of the action is based in space. Also keep in mind every Marvel movie doesn't have the name "Marvel" in the title. I think if you continue with the same theme, all with Star Wars in the name (and the same basic font), people could get sick of it. That said, if the new sets of movies being developed are completely unrelated to the 10 (soon to be 11) so far, I think it will end up fine.

People don't seem to be stagnating over Marvel films so I wonder why with Star Wars

I think there’s an element of quality there and not upsetting the base, so to speak.

If you look at the DC side, Justice League was a bust and I’ve heard theories that that all goes back to Batman V Superman and the way the fan base felt like the characters weren’t treated right and movies the fan base did not want to see made. I’ve heard Uber fans say that Star Wars is headed down the same path. Some fans not happy about Luke. A lot of people not wanting the Solo movie to be made. That’s usually followed by the prediction of a poor showing for IX and the end of Star Wars. Way too doom and gloom in my opinion but there may be some truth to it.

Like everything I am sure there are multiple reasons but one I think is that Marvel isn't pushed quite as hard in all aspects like Star Wars is. There isn't a Marvel land coming, there isn't a Marvel launch bay or stage show or afterhours hard ticket events, etc. Now, some of that is because of the licnesing issue with Universal, but not all of it. I see a lot of people feel like Star Wars is forced into WDW and shoved down our throats similar to complaints I saw about Frozen

Also, The Force Awakens was just about the biggest movie ever and hype was so high and then there were just tons of toys and everything - just really pushed so anything that is "less than" that is going to seem like a huge drop - even though TLJ was still the biggest movie of the year and Star Wars was the #1 toy brand this past holiday season, etc. - it still feels like it is "down" (reminds me of how people are flipping out over the NFL television ratings when any other entity would kill for the ratings it is still getting)

and then obviously TLJ was divisive - I don't think any of the Marvel films did that - part of that is TLJ messed with the characters and actors in those roles that people love whereas for the MCU all the roles were recast - it isn't like Lou Ferigno is still playing the Hulk or whatever, so there isn't quite the emotional connection there

I do think they need to do something completely different with the 2 upcoming trilogies. They need to be set in a different time. A time when the Jedi are different, the tech is slightly different, the bad guys can be different. You aren't going to get away from the "good jedi" and the "evil sith" too easily, as that fantasy is what sets apart Star Wars from other space opera. But you can portray them differently. I could see an origin story for the Jedi and follow that up with a second move on the origin of the Sith, something that isn't really explored in any current canon pieces besides the books in TLJ. You could have the Force's original Cain and Abel moment. And then have a final movie where the battle lines harden between the sides.

Think of that movie arc. The first movie is the majesty of some long-lost world, populated probably with humans for budget reasons, where the very first Force user discovers the tools. She (and yes, the way it's going it almost has to be a she) starts to learn all she can and then falls in love and teaches her children. Then the children find others, not related to her, who can do the same (so it runs in families, but not only in families as TLJ and most canon suggests). And it is a wonderful tool for good except... one of the children isn't quite as balanced as the others and we start to see a bit of anger and evil right at the end of the story.

The second movie develops that child. As he (and yes, the way it's going it pretty much has to be a he) breaks his families' hearts and delves into the Dark Side for the first time. Brought on my jealousy or being turned away from an avenue of power. And we see his family try and bring him back but he moves away and starts to corrupt his own followers. Right before the end we set the table for the final movie, the ground conditions for a war.

The final arc is the first titanic struggle. Maybe it destroys a city or leaves the planet barren, but it ends with both sides failing to win. And the original woman dies and the Father is left to trap his daughter and son and create the original balance. The arc isn't anything original, but you could do so much with it.

There are a ton of stories to be told, and if they are done well, I think the fatigue will be manageable. But they need to get away from every movie expected to be a blockbuster for both tickets and toys. Make movies for different age groups with different goals.

And, for the love of god, stop screwing up the original characters.

My main gripe so far is that the lead actor doesn’t remotely remind me of Han Solo.

Even in Indiana Jones and the last crusade, the kid in the beginning completely reminded me of how Indiana looks

This lead actor.. not a fan of his look at all

My main gripe so far is that the lead actor doesn’t remotely remind me of Han Solo.

Even in Indiana Jones and the last crusade, the kid in the beginning completely reminded me of how Indiana looks

This lead actor.. not a fan of his look at all

Unfortunately River Phoenix is no longer with us. :sad1: Will the actor get the essence on Han Solo? I am waiting to see the film before I judge. I don't think he is bad looking at all. He looks good in the outfit.

And I would love to Ewan McGregor back as Obi-Wan. He was good as that character.

Because those movies are different enough from each other. All sorts of different characters, settings, perspectives and plot devices. They all take place in the same universe, but it's not JUST the same thing over and over again. The Marvel movies have also proven to be of very high quality.

Whereas with Star Wars -- it's the same old, same old.... never ending Empire vs rebels, jedi vs sith. Is there anything else going on in this galaxy/universe?! they keep retelling the same story. How about something different? What's the rest of the galaxy doing?

I don't want what's essentially a constant retelling/reboot of Star Wars. Original story telling in the same universe would be fine. But they have yet to deliver on that. It's just let's show lightsabers, space battles, and AT-ATs....yeah!!

I'm going to see the next Star Wars movie because it's Star Wars...but for how much longer? I did not enjoy Last Jedi very much, if at all.

Unfortunately River Phoenix is no longer with us. :sad1: Will the actor get the essence on Han Solo? I am waiting to see the film before I judge. I don't think he is bad looking at all. He looks good in the outfit.

And I would love to Ewan McGregor back as Obi-Wan. He was good as that character.

This. He was about the only thing I truly enjoyed from the prequels. I would LOVE for him to comeback in this role. (Let's be honest, though - I enjoy him in just about every role :love:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter