Solo & Dining

As your classic introvert, I would rather not interact with anyone except my server during a solo meal. But I love Biergarten and go prepared for tablemates who ignore me (whew!) or who talk (they have been interesting, too). I probably wouldn't go to Teppan Edo alone, though, because it's a little too intimate a setting to be silent in without it getting awkward.

As for character meals, I love love Garden Grill for the food and the characters, but I usually just extend my hand for a shake or blow them a kiss, to let them know I don't need anything more. I'm there, in the moment, no pix!

Other than that, I've just loved eating solo at, for example, Skipper Canteen, The Plaza, Yak and Yeti, and Mama Melrose. Sometimes I feel that the table location might have been less desirable (by the bathrooms, for example) but usually it's been out of the way but ok (the end of a bank of tables'for two).

I went on a solo trip about 15 years ago. At that time, I was very reluctant to dine alone in a TS place. I did food courts and quick service. Fast forward a decade, and I got a job that required me to travel. A lot. At first I avoided eating alone in a restaurant, but slowly I began to do it. I am so glad I did, because now, I'm not uncomfortable AT ALL. I now find it very relaxing.

I've been going solo twice a year for a few years now. I like to try one or two new ADR's each trip. I don't do character meals, I save those when visiting with a group. However each trip I plan Sci-Fi. I get seated in the back of the car. I get a burger and chocolate shake every time. It's a must for me, place to unwind and watch the movies. I've seen negative reviews, but I love it there.

None that I would avoid. I've now done 5 solo trips and eaten at 11 sit down restaurants. All are good foe solo's.

Five trips to Biergarten; only one was a bit awkward and I'm an introvert. Even when my tablemates ignored me I enjoyed the atmosphere, the show, the food and the beer.

I eat wherever I want, including Teppan and Biergarten. It is only awkward if you make it so. Nobody cares that you are dining solo.

I've done Biergarten multiple times by myself and never had a bad experience. Even if the other people are not chatty with you, the show is a useful distraction and it is a buffet (get small portions and go multiple times).

That said, I also enjoy going to the 50s Prime Time Cafe. You can always eat at the bar if you don't want to sit in the restaurant, though the wait staff make it fun even if you are single diner.

May not get replies since I'm quoting/pinging replies from months ago, but....

Those of you who have eaten solo at Biergarten and had a good time, do you make any particular requests regarding where you're seated along the communal table (like, do you ask to be put on the end)? Have you ever been stuck in the middle between two parties, or do they usually put you on an end regardless? I just keep thinking it might be awkward to try to get up and get out past a big party of strangers whenever I want more food from the buffet. Have you found that to be an issue?

I have eaten solo at many restaurants including character meals, and the only place I didn’t like was Be Our Guest. I felt self conscious not having anyone to talk to, :rolleyes1but what made it worse was that I got up to get a drink refill and they started to take my plate away and I wasn’t done! Luckily I saw it. I’ve learned to leave my sunglasses on the table now. One time I even left a note saying I wasn’t done! Lol.

Those of you who have eaten solo at Biergarten and had a good time, do you make any particular requests regarding where you're seated along the communal table (like, do you ask to be put on the end)? Have you ever been stuck in the middle between two parties, or do they usually put you on an end regardless? I just keep thinking it might be awkward to try to get up and get out past a big party of strangers whenever I want more food from the buffet. Have you found that to be an issue?

One time I was seated first and was by the rail. The second time I was the last one and was put on the end. I don't remember the dynamic of the first table, but the second was a group of 4, a couple and 1 single guy, and of course me. They just fill you in wherever there is room. Most people know that it is a group setting and if they did not before hand, they do tell everyone when they check in. Everyone is there to eat and to enjoy the show.

I have eaten solo at many restaurants including character meals, and the only place I didn’t like was Be Our Guest. I felt self conscious not having anyone to talk to, :rolleyes1but what made it worse was that I got up to get a drink refill and they started to take my plate away and I wasn’t done! Luckily I saw it. I’ve learned to leave my sunglasses on the table now. One time I even left a note saying I wasn’t done! Lol.

I have had this kind of thing happen too, very frustrating.

I have never asked and the CM has never chosen the seating arrangement. If you walk in first (directly behind the CM) you would kind of naturally go to the far end of the table next to the railing. I have sat there and did not find it awkward getting out past the others. If you fall back and are the last person in the group you would naturally be the last seated. If you really want to be on the end of the table and don't want to ask the CM for that spot you could just hold back as they lead the group to the table. Everyone will sit and you can take the seat on the end of the table.

I've had that happen to me. One time I got up to go to the restroom before I had dessert and when I returned, my whole tray was gone (CS place). Fortunately a CM nearby had seen it, so she immediately got me a replacement. I think the sunglasses are an excellent idea-Thanks. I've struggled with how to let the servers know I'll be back.

I never have made a special request when being seated at Biergarten. Getting up to get food even when I was up on the railing wasn't really an issue. I can't really recall exactly where I have ended up--mostly because it hasn't been an issue. Asking for a specific seat when you check-in might be a good idea if you might feel more comfortable at the end.

Speaking of Biergarten, is it too dark to read a book? I tend to read on my phone, my Kindle or a paperback during meals.
TIA!

Speaking of Biergarten, is it too dark to read a book? I tend to read on my phone, my Kindle or a paperback during meals.
TIA!

I don't think it would be too dark for a phone or kindle. A paperback would be tough IMHO. The bigger issue is the ambient noise Between the show and the communal seating it is pretty noisy.

I think it would be a waste of an experience to ignore the show by reading (unless you really dislike the show).
I agree. And even though I'm an introvert, I think part of the fun of sitting at a communal table is interacting with my fellow diners. Personally, if I wanted to read while eating, I'd choose someplace else other than Biergarten. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!