Solo Stay - Best Resort

Kelly Lissolo

Earning My Ears
I feel Disney is safe no matter where you stay, but is one resort better than the other in terms of safety? I'm planning a stay in March and am considering the Contemporary - mostly to be in the MK area. I had also thought of staying at POR or POFQ. Thanks for the advice.

I certainly can't speak from experience here, as I've only stayed in the All Stars, Pop Century and Caribbean Beach, but I suspect the Contemporary is about as safe as they come being that it's more concentrated so there's less walking between blocks, and they also I believe have security checkpoints for the monorail too now.

I don't think one resort is safer than the other because you never know what or where unfortunate things might happen. Not for safety sake but personally I do not like any resorts or hotels that have doors that face parking lots. I also do not rooms that are on the first floor.

I don't think one resort is safer than the other because you never know what or where unfortunate things might happen. Not for safety sake but personally I do not like any resorts or hotels that have doors that face parking lots. I also do not rooms that are on the first floor.

I also don't do first floor rooms or facing the parking lot.

I can't speak to any of the resorts you listed, but I have stayed solo at AKL Jambo House and at All-Star Music, and I definitely felt safer at AKL. I think for me, it was a combination of AKL being only one building with interior hallways, rather than ASMu's multiple buildings and exterior walkways. I'll also echo other posters in saying I won't stay in a room facing the parking lot in a resort with exterior walkways if I'm solo.

So - I stayed at all three All-Stars, AoA, CBR, CSR, POFQ, AKL, AKV, and BLT all solo. I felt safe at ALL of them. I've had great night sleeps at all of them - and some notable bad nights (one night at ASMu and three nights at AKL) due to noise.

ALL of them have locations that if I was approached by someone meaning to cause me harm - that COULD happen. Sure - a first floor room someone could pull you into more easily - but there's also a lot more foot traffic at that level. A room close by the water means more chance of drowning. Higher floor room in a tall building means greater risk of death in a fire. Parking garage at AKV - a little dark and remote in places. Conference center areas sometimes feel deserted and an easy place to pull a person unwilling.

There are potential danger scenarios in lots and lots of places - and they happen all over. Traveling solo does mean you need an awareness to your surroundings - regardless of where you are at.

So - I don't think one hotel at Disney is safer than another.

For my solo trip a few years back, when I checked into one of the All-Stars, the CM realized I was solo and said she would put me as close to the main building as possible near a well-populated area so I would feel safer without me even asking. Wherever you decide to stay, if they don't make a point of mentioning you're alone, bring it up when checking in that you're solo and ask for the best location for lighting/people/CMs/near main lobby so you don't feel "alone" even though you are alone.

I've stayed solo at Beach Club, POP and POFQ and felt safe at all 3. I will say I LOVE POFQ. Small and compact, and the wrought iron railings, open stairs and more manicured grounds make for good sight lines. POFQ is pretty and charming and really feels to me like a quaint little neighborhood.

I was happy at POP this year and plan to go back next year but I booked a Preferred room to be closer to food/buses. I had a great room in the 70s and would request the same area again.

I've stayed solo at Pop, ASsp, POR, YC, BW, OKW andSwan and have never felt unsafe. I've also stayed at CBR, CSR, BC, CR, Poly, GF and got up before sunrise and jogged or walked and never felt unsafe. Like anywhere you go, you need to be aware of your surroundings and use common sense but there is almost always CMs out and about just about any time of the day. The only time I'm a little nervous is the walk from HS to BW area after dark. The only part of that that bothers me is going under the overpass and it really is just as safe as anywhere else it just seems creepy at night.

I feel like the only way to be in real danger at the Contemporary is to drink heavily and then walk out onto the boat dock alone at night!

I also don't do first floor rooms or facing the parking lot.

Neither do I, and I always feel perfectly safe. I would recommend either of the two mentioned at the beginning, either POR or POFQ. I used to stay at POR, only because POFQ was my DH's favorite, so when I went solo, I had "my resort". One time I forgot to request high floor at POR and they did assign me to first floor facing the parking lot. When I went back a couple hours later and asked to move, explaining why, she was very nice about moving me.

I've stayed at Pop & ASMo solo & I felt safe at both. I feel like there is good lighting on the sidewalks & late night into the morning hours, I've seen CMs driving around property whether they were delivering pizzas or security doing rounds, so that helps. I also do what others have said & request an upper level floor. But the couple of times I did not get my request, I was near a pool with really good lighting so I still felt fine. Just be aware of your surroundings & use the latch on the door.

If money is not a factor, I think the safest resort would be a club level building. Resorts like the Poly have their CL in its own separate building that you need a MB with CL access to enter the building. I'm guessing other CL buildings/floors are the same set up. If it were me, that is where I would I would stay solo.

I've stayed at a variety of WDW resort hotels & I only had one hotel where I felt less than secure. That was AS Music a few years ago but in fairness to that resort 1) the lobby was under construction so guests had to walk outside around the end of the lobby through a make shift path under the trees to get to the rooms 2) a number of bulbs were blown in the overhead lights but possible I hit a lull in maintenance 3) I had a 6am 'international' flight to Canada so had to wheel my bag through the resort at 1:30am to stand outside the lobby waiting for the Magical Express back to the airport. AS Music does have a deep footprint compared to the other All Stars (room blgs stretch back from the lobby/entrance as opposed to fanning out) so that can be a concern when you are walking on your own late at night/early dark morning. I travel solo frequently and always request an upper floor room as close as possible to the lobby. For personal security in your room, you can purchase a lock device like "add-a-lock" but it isn't compatible with all hotel room doors. I have one, carry it with me, and it's hit and miss whether it will work. If you have someone in your family handy with a saw, consider asking her to cut you a small wood shim. I also travel with one of these . . . basically a small cheap pine board wedge . . . that I can shove between the room door and floor. If it is small and relatively thin, it will fit many room doors. I have grown up in and worked in the international hotel industry for decades. Even with the move from keys to cards to WDW's magic bands, so many people have access to your room that having some small low or no-tech device can buy you some piece of mind and a few minutes of warning. You always want to be that guest that isn't worth the trouble to mess with.

When I do my solo trips, I try to stay at a resort that has inside room access ( like the deluxe resorts ) but I did stay at Pop once on my own and it was fine. I would try and do a preferred room though so you are closer to the main areas of the value or moderate resorts. Another thought on the Mod's, POFQ is a smaller size, making most rooms close to the main check in areas. I would probably do that one if cost was a concern.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!