Solo with ECV and buffets?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Has anyone gone to any buffets with an ECV when solo? I'm wondering if, on my upcoming trip, if I need to avoid buffets. I hope not-there are some I love. However, due to my mobility issues and need for an ECV, I can't carry my plate of food back from a buffet without an ECV. Are buffets out? Or can I bring in my ECV? Or is there always a kind CM available to carry my food back to my table? I can navigate with a cane, but not with a cane and carrying a plate of food.

Has anyone gone to any buffets with an ECV when solo? I'm wondering if, on my upcoming trip, if I need to avoid buffets. I hope not-there are some I love. However, due to my mobility issues and need for an ECV, I can't carry my plate of food back from a buffet without an ECV. Are buffets out? Or can I bring in my ECV? Or is there always a kind CM available to carry my food back to my table? I can navigate with a cane, but not with a cane and carrying a plate of food.

no, you should not try to rely on having a CM carry your food. It isn't about kindness, I really hate when that term is used in these situations. The implication being that if a CM is not able to drop their other duties to carry a person's food for them they are being unkind?
Anyway, I would plan on avoiding buffet meals if you are going solo and can't carry your own food.

A CM providing assistance to a disabled person is not a kindness or a favor. That kind of help is part of providing equal access for a disabled person. Even at QS restaurants within the park there is someone to carry the tray to a table if needed.

I have used my ECV at a buffet. If I could not reach something I have no problem politely requesting assistance and have never been denied. I am able to transport my plate to the table with my ECV. But if I could not I would have no problem asking for assistance. The CM that I asked might not be the one to provide the help but I would expect them to find the right person.

A CM providing assistance to a disabled person is not a kindness or a favor. That kind of help is part of providing equal access for a disabled person. Even at QS restaurants within the park there is someone to carry the tray to a table if needed.

I have used my ECV at a buffet. If I could not reach something I have no problem politely requesting assistance and have never been denied. I am able to transport my plate to the table with my ECV. But if I could not I would have no problem asking for assistance. The CM that I asked might not be the one to provide the help but I would expect them to find the right person.

I firmly disagree. Reaching something is not the same as asking the staff to become your personal servant for the meal. This falls along the same line as asking staff to help you in and out of ride vehicles. If you can't do it alone, or have someone with you to assist you need to rethink your plan. Please find me the place is equal protection laws that says that businesses must provide a service not provided to the general public. You won't find it. The law actually says you can't provide a service to a certain population that is not offered to others. Disney might provide the help when people demand it, but they are in no way required to by law.

I firmly disagree. Reaching something is not the same as asking the staff to become your personal servant for the meal.
I firmly disagree. Asking for help is not asking the staff to become your personal servant. It's asking for help.

I bring a cane when I travel (pre-rollator) because the ECV can't go everywhere. Sure, it takes longer to get buffet food because I have to use the cane hand to scoop the food, but it's doable.

I work in a restaurant that serves cafeteria style. We help people carry their food to their table all the time. It is never an issue with us and we see it as part of the job. Almost everyone that we help is very gracious and appreciative for our help. If you are kind to the staff then they are more then happy to help you out in any way that you need.

I firmly disagree. Asking for help is not asking the staff to become your personal servant. It's asking for help.

Agreed. And the government agrees.

See: https://www.ada.gov/reachingout/lesson11.htm including the illustrated example "At a self-serve food bar, a staff person is preparing a tray of food for a customer using a walker." And https://www.ada.gov/reachingout/trayassist.html "In a casual restaurant, an employee assists a man using crutches, by carrying his tray to a table.". Its about "Making it possible for customers with disabilities to purchase your goods and services is an important part of complying with the ADA." and "The ADA requires businesses to make “reasonable modifications” in their normal ways of doing things when necessary to accommodate people who have disabilities." and "Most accommodations involve making minor adjustments in procedures or providing some extra assistance."

From what I've seen, CMs are happy to help. It is not asking too much to ask a CM to help you at a buffet.

I firmly disagree. Reaching something is not the same as asking the staff to become your personal servant for the meal. This falls along the same line as asking staff to help you in and out of ride vehicles. If you can't do it alone, or have someone with you to assist you need to rethink your plan. Please find me the place is equal protection laws that says that businesses must provide a service not provided to the general public. You won't find it. The law actually says you can't provide a service to a certain population that is not offered to others. Disney might provide the help when people demand it, but they are in no way required to by law.

I am honestly not even sure how to respond to this.

Needing help to carry a tray is not demanding someone be a personal servant. It is needing help.

When we had 4 young kids and ate at cafeteria style restaurants, we often needed help with all the kids’ trays that they couldn’t carry themselves. It literally took less than a minute out of a worker’s time to help carry a tray. It seriously was not the big deal you make it out to be.

If I saw someone at a buffet struggling, my instinct would be to show some compassion and do everything I could to help, not sit back and shake my head at how “demanding” they are.

So to get back on topic...

I have gone to buffets many times with my ECV; since I still have some limited walking ability, I take my cane, and I fill my plate, and then I typically ask a CM to help me carry it to my table. I have never had a problem with this at WDW. When you check in at the podium, ask to be seated as close as possible to the buffet. :)

I have gone to buffets many times with my ECV; since I still have some limited walking ability, I take my cane, and I fill my plate, and then I typically ask a CM to help me carry it to my table. I have never had a problem with this at WDW. When you check in at the podium, ask to be seated as close as possible to the buffet. :)

This is good to know.

I cannot imagine it would ever be a problem in getting a CM to assist someone in an ECV or wheelchair with carrying their food back to their table--especially at any restaurant at Disney!

I have a friend that uses an ECV and she has never had a problem with a CM helping her carry her try back, Sometimes she has to wait a minute or two but she has had no problems with them helping her.

I think you are misunderstanding the law. Carrying a tray back to a table is an easy and quick accommodation that allows the restaurant to be accessible to someone in a wheelchair or ECV. Since the general public can enter the restaurant and obtain food to eat at their table, the restaurant must make an accommodation to allow a disabled person to enter their restaurant and obtain food to eat at their table. Now, a disabled person couldn't demand that a server be assigned to stand at their table for the duration of the meal and fetch anything at a snap. That would be access above and beyond what is available to the general public. And as noted above, Disney CMs do help non-disabled families with multiple children carry trays back to their tables so it can be seen as a service offered to the general public.

ETA: Also, the law doesn't say that you CAN'T provide a service not provided to the general public, just that you are not REQUIRED to provide access over and above what is available to the general public.

Last edited:
I just remembered that one time recently when I was at a CS restaurant, with my ECV, a CM insisted on helping me by carrying my tray to my table. Since I had my ECV, I could have navigated that myself, but he was nice, but insistent. Maybe he was afraid I'd crash into something! Anyways, my point is that I'll bet, on retrospect, that a CM would help me get from the buffet back to my table, whether I have my ECV or not.

I can tell you have never worked in food service I can tell you I would much rather carry a tray for someone needing help for any reason than have to clean up after the tray was dropped on floor. it takes a lot more of my time to clean up the mess not to mention the falling hazard, because of having to mop floor which leaves floor wet, to others walking near by. so to me working at in food service if it saves me time I am more than happy to help. we have had lots of kids drop drinks on other guests as they try to serve themselves also so it is not just handicapped that need help

Simba - I truly hope you pay no attention to the poster here who thinks that disabled people should just go away and not bother the "normal" people.

Virtually no one IRL is like that. There may be an occasional hateful person who resents people on EVCs - but those are truly rare - and are to be pitied not paid attention to.

Simba - I truly hope you pay no attention to the poster here who thinks that disabled people should just go away and not bother the "normal" people.

Virtually no one IRL is like that. There may be an occasional hateful person who resents people on EVCs - but those are truly rare - and are to be pitied not paid attention to.

Thanks-I needed that advice. I must admit that when I first read it, my Irish temper started making steam come out of my ears.

Truly, everyone here is correct (except one) but if you have any concerns, make ADR's by calling, rather than MDE and ask about putting notations on the reservations about ECV / wheelchair seating and needing to be in an area closer to the buffet, bathroom, etc.. so it's noted ahead of time. The rest should be up to general human decency.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter