Some generic renting questions

TiggerBouncy

DIS Veteran
So I have never rented my points out. But some things never made sense to me...

Do i need to call Disney and make the arrangements for the people who rent my points? What if I can't get the dates they want? More specifically, I can't usually get the days *I* want. How late (before my due date) can I put my points up for rental? It seems to me like it's a decision I would have to make around by 8-11 month mark to get any hope of finding the dates the renter wants.

I.E. If I hold onto my points thinking I can use them until about 5-6 months out, that seems too late to make a decision to rent them out, right?

Or am I thinking about it wrong? Do I just get a hotel room anywhere I can and then look for someone who wants the room?

Do i need to call Disney and make the arrangements for the people who rent my points?

You can book them online, just as you do yourself. If they want the dining plan, you'll want to call and use a payment method from the renter, since it must be paid in full when booked.

What if I can't get the dates they want?
Then you won't be renting to them. Agencies validate availability before committing to the rental, and you should too. If you are committing in advance of 11 months, you should be clear that you will make an effort at 11 months, but no guarantee.

I.E. If I hold onto my points thinking I can use them until about 5-6 months out, that seems too late to make a decision to rent them out, right?
Usually by 5-6 months most of year, you're starting to look at needing to discount the points. Closer you get to dates, less is available, and points are considered distressed. You won't get premium rates for a 5-6 month booking.

So I have never rented my points out. But some things never made sense to me...

Do i need to call Disney and make the arrangements for the people who rent my points? What if I can't get the dates they want? More specifically, I can't usually get the days *I* want. How late (before my due date) can I put my points up for rental? It seems to me like it's a decision I would have to make around by 8-11 month mark to get any hope of finding the dates the renter wants.

Or am I thinking about it wrong? Do I just get a hotel room anywhere I can and then look for someone who wants the room?

I would keep it simple and use one of the established agents like David’s.

You can book them online, just as you do yourself. If they want the dining plan, you'll want to call and use a payment method from the renter, since it must be paid in full when booked.

Then you won't be renting to them. Agencies validate availability before committing to the rental, and you should too. If you are committing in advance of 11 months, you should be clear that you will make an effort at 11 months, but no guarantee.

Usually by 5-6 months most of year, you're starting to look at needing to discount the points. Closer you get to dates, less is available, and points are considered distressed. You won't get premium rates for a 5-6 month booking.

That makes sense to me! Thank you!

I would keep it simple and use one of the established agents like David’s.

But I have the same questions as it pertains to the rental company. They are just the broker, right? I would still have the same problem in terms of booking availability, etc. Especially when you get closer to the point expiry. I.E. 3 months out, there are no rooms. Davids might think there is a room, but I have to hop on that really, really quickly as the inventory can change in a few minutes.

But I have the same questions as it pertains to the rental company. They are just the broker, right? I would still have the same problem in terms of booking availability, etc. Especially when you get closer to the point expiry. I.E. 3 months out, there are no rooms. Davids might think there is a room, but I have to hop on that really, really quickly as the inventory can change in a few minutes.

Yes. It really is best, whether listing with a broker or doing it yourself, to list the points as early in your use year as possible, and if you're thinking of being able to book a holiday, like Christmas, Spring Break etc, then list them 12 months before so you can try to get the reservation right at the 11 month mark.

You really need to have some plan in place for your points before the banking deadline. If you don't bank them into the next year. Renting is best when you can plan for making a reservation 8-11 months out. When I've rented my points (through a broker) I decided the time of year I want those reservations to occur and then make the points available about 11 months out from that date. For instance, I don't rent BWV points over F&W - its too much bother to get a room and I think members should have first dibs. So when I rented, I picked an August rental - easier to get, by posting my points in September. August works with my use year as well, which is April, giving me plenty of time to deal with it if something happens.

Thank you all. I understand now. I kept thinking of renting my points as a last ditch effort when I have finally decided I can't go - but by that time, it's really too late. I need to decide much earlier. :-)

I appreciate you explaining it to me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts