• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Something to help shade the sun

always dreamin'

Mouseketeer
Hi! I'm new here so please bear with me. We are going to Disney in November. My youngest DD will be 14 months then and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on how to shade the sun from her that would work better than the canopy on the stroller. Thank you in advance.

Thank you for your reply Stacy6552, although it seems like the most logical thing to do I have learned from my other DD that some kids won't keep a hat or sunglasses on (at least mine didn't!:) ) Any other suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you.

I have put a lightweight blankie on the canopy with those plastic links that you make chains with because my little one doesn't like the light on her face. Depending on how long the blankie is you can have no light at all.

Jenn

http://store4.yimg.com/I/babyant_1726_49840331

This gadget from Kiddopotamus is practically a baby tent, with mesh windows. No sun gets in if you don't want it there.

Graco also sells a clamp-on umbrella for strollers, you can get it in most large baby-store stroller sections for about $10. That can be clamped on just about anywhere and tilted as required, but some kids find umbrellas irresistable as play-toys. We never could have used this, because DS would have wanted to fiddle with it constantly.

I just used a large mosquito net with a couple of gator clips to hold it in place. The breeze got through it, but not much sun.

I have also seen those wrap around sunglasses for infants that might be an idea. They have a soft elastic band that goes all around the head and would be a lot more comfortable and harder to just sling off. I also found when ds was that age a sun hat or any hat that had a strap to tie was more likely to stay on. don't forget to give her LOTS of liquids through out the day. Babies can't tell you they are thirsty and get dehydrated very quickly.

Jordan's mom

We got the stroller sunscreen with the bug netting, but it just seemed to get so hot under there. My favorite trick is to wet a receiving blanket and drape it where most needed. The moisture seems to really cool the stroller down, too.

Always Dreamin'-

I went to a fabric store and bought some sheer material on sale, then used velcro dots to secure it to our full sized stroller. DD (6 months) was out to the sun, but could still see everything that was going on. In fact she fell asleep on us a couple of times without us realizing it! It worked like a charm. Also, we did put sunscreen on her before leaving the room.

http://www.pepeny.com/the_pepeny_shadecover.htm

This worked really well for us. We have a Maclaren Quest. Also re hats have you tried Sunday Afternoons. I think that's the site name. I love these hats. I get sun poisoning so I'm paranoid about it for me and the family (although fortunately not an issue for them). Re sunglasses - hmm we've had good luck with the ones in the Right Start one Step Ahead. I liked the concept of the ones that wrapped around but they looked too small to me around the face.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter