Southwest discontinuing some Orlando flights

A big factor has to be the whole MAX8 scenario. There are not enough planes to serve all of the routes, and Southwest has been losing money, as a result of the MAX8’s grounding.

A big factor has to be the whole MAX8 scenario. There are not enough planes to serve all of the routes, and Southwest has been losing money, as a result of the MAX8’s grounding.
I agree that the 737 MAX situation is affecting Southwest (and some other airlines) right now, but they will most likely be flying again by the time these changes take place.

I agree that the 737 MAX situation is affecting Southwest (and some other airlines) right now, but they will most likely be flying again by the time these changes take place.
Agree. The story makes it sound like it's just a normal adjustment eliminating flights that aren't selling -- for example, FLL to JAX???

Wait for people in NYC what flights are direct to MCO now on Southwest? Do they have to drive to PHL?

Wait for people in NYC what flights are direct to MCO now on Southwest? Do they have to drive to PHL?

It's a joke. There's low demand to Orlando from NYC??? That's preposterous and in no way true, anyone knows that. At any given time in WDW (or Universal), there's always a good percentage of the crowds from the NYC area. And they only had non-stop from LGA to Orlando on Saturdays anyway. I was certain they were going to add more daily non-stops after pulling out of Newark (which had 2-3 daily nonstps to MCO), but obviously not now. They still have ISP to MCO, but have been down to about two flights per day (it was about 5 a day at one time).

Sorry I meant non-stop. You can't search direct flights on southwest or concur so its not even in my normal vocabulary (although I remember it now after you said it).

Depending on where you are in NYC, ISP [Islip] is still an option for nonstop flights. They have 2 or 3 a day. Obviously, a closer drive from Queens, but may not be a good alternative for some of the further boroughs when you factor in traffic/congestion. Still better than Philly in my opinion.

Sometimes people confuse demand for profit. Certainly, there's great demand for nonstop flights between New York City and Orlando. But, each city pair has a limit to the maximum fare an airline can charge. That limit is based in part on how many other airlines offer flights. Generally, more competition equals lower prices.

By removing flights, an airline can actually increase overall profit because they might be able to charge higher fares. They can also move that plane to a different route that is underserved.

Today, decisions about where to place planes is largely done via wildly complex computer software. Using decades worth of data, the software analyzes how eliminating a route will affect the remainder of the flights on both the nonstop city pair as well as all connecting flights into and out of the each city.

I guarantee that every Southwest competitor because analyzing their route networks using their software the instant this schedule change was announced. The other large "legacy" US carriers (American, Delta, United) all have an advantage over Southwest because they have a wider number of aircraft types. That means they can right-size flight by substituting a larger or smaller aircraft.

Narrowbody Plane Types by Airline
(Including regional partners. Note: Southwest does not have regional partners)
  • American Airlines: 25 plane types; 44 to 188 seats
  • Delta Airlines: 14 plane types; 50 to 234 seats
  • Southwest Airlines: 3 plane types; 143 to 175 seats
  • United Airlines: 30 plane types; 30 to 232 seats
Data Courtesy: https://www.seatguru.com/browseairlines/browseairlines.php

Friends on Long Island keep hearing about SW leaving ISP, and JetBlue taking over there. Allegedly in negotiations? Curious about this.
SW has dropped so many flights from ISP that people I know are hoping it is true.

The nonstop Austin to San Francisco route that they're cutting was a great deal. Reasonably priced & the shortest way possible to get between the two cities. I don't think any other airlines offer that nonstop. I'm glad we used it last year for our getaway weekend to San Francisco, when it was still available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter