• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Souvenir Mugs

Mickeycrazie

Is no longer TAGLESS!
Don't purchase the refillable souvenier mug if you are hoping to get a souvenir to take back home. We read about them in the 1st navigator and in the state room book that is on the vanity. So we wanted one for a souvenir. We had gotten ones while at the WL and loved them. In all of the confusion at the table where you purchase the refillable mugs/ESPN refillable beer glasses we purchased 2 of the souvenir mugs. We just said ok that we wanted to purchase the mugs thinking that they had just run out on that table and we could get some later somewhere else. Not so. All we got was a Coke sticker on our KTTW. Sometimes I would want a bottle of water and would show them our stickers and they would say we had to purchase the water. I think I drank 3 Sprites the whole time I was there. DH might have drank 7 sodas the whole time. We were on the 12/5 3 day sailing on the Wonder. While at CC he asked for a soda at Cookies BBQ and was told he had to go some place else (the bar) to get a soda. That wasn't the only time that we would ask for a soda and was told we needed to go somewhere else to get one.

Oh and we were about an hour or so late in leaving port. We were waiting on 14 people to arrive. Part of their family was already on the boat. That was really disappointing to not be able to leave in the daylight and wave to the people on the Carnival and Royal Caribbean as we were pulling out and playing "when you wish upon a star" for the other boats to be jealous.

And the last thing that we were disappointed in is that we had to turn our floats in by 2:30 that day. They were closing early. A little disappointed to have to leave the beach early, while the rest of the people got to play longer (parasailers, etc).

Other than that it was a great cruise, except for getting sick the 1st night. Never cruised before, but after getting use to the rocking and rolling I was fine. I love to fly, so I have to love to cruise. 3 days wasn't enough, thought. And 1 day at CC isn't enough either. They need a resort on that island. It is wonderful!!!

Mickeycrazie

That's weird. Both times we've been on the cruise we've gotten actual mugs that we've brought home. They're just like the refillable mugs at the resorts - with the DCL logos on them! I wonder if they just ran out?

I think they're back to doing the stickers because of the number of folks coming down with the Norwalk virus.

Yep...check out the LIVE FROM THE 12/7 thread. Webmaster Michelle tells about how they took the refillable mug program away and went back to sticker program.

MJ

I can confirm that they did the same thing on Wonder. No refillable mugs, because no guests are allowed to touch any of the food service equipment, which also meant that the 24 hour drink station on deck 9 was closed.

Beth

The rationale is that the mugs can not be properly sanitized after each use. Therefore any mugs which came in contact with the beverage machine after an infected mug, could possibly spread any infection to the other mugs.

and I actually thought they were a HUGE pain! I would have rather had the stickers. I hated carrying around that mug everywhere I went just in case I wanted a drink! I guess to each his own...we put the mugs up in our cupboard and havent used or looked at them since. On Castaway Cay we had to go to the bar to get cokes too. They dont serve them in Cookies so that wasnt anything different! The bar was right across the pathway and it wasnt bad to get to while eating!

Our day at CC was rainy and overcast and I welcomed getting back on board early to see the matinee of Disney Dreams but I can see how that would be somewhat disappointing! We never used our floats but when we went back they were still renting them out about 1:30 or so.

As for the ship leaving late...it has happened to us in one port or another on the other cruise lines we have been on so it isnt just limited to Disney! We were 3 hours late leaving Costa Rica on the Carnival Spirit in January so we were 2 hours late getting into Belize which stunk but it is definitely a fact of cruising! Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and forget about what you thought was going to happen and enjoy what IS happening! Glad you enjoyed it however...it is a great vacation!

Heidi

Why can't they still give the mug for a souvenier when you buy the soda card, and just state that the mugs themselves will NOT be refilled for sanitary reasons ?????

It would be great to come home with that mug! Hey, it's like free PR for DCL!

That would be a great idea. Why didn't DCL think of that? But I'm sure there would be some draw back of some kind. Just give us the mugs that we paid $15.00 for and give us a sticker on our KTTW so we can get drinks in a regular cup instead of the mugs.

Mickeycrazie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter