Souvenirs for kids not going?

bsmcneil

DIS Veteran
So - I'm wondering what people's perspectives/experiences are with this. For what it's worth, I didn't grow up in a family where we traveled (adults, or as a family) - so, this wasn't something that came up in my world. I'm traveling to Aulani for spring break, on my own (I have a 7 and 3 y/o). And I'm wondering - does it make sense to get them a souvenir? Like, is it thoughtful or does it create a "I wish I had gone" (I'm divorced with 50% custody - so, the trip is during time with their mom). And then, if you do get things for your kids when/if you take a solo trip - what sort of thing is good? I think if I were going to WDW/DL, that could be a little bit clearer - but it feels like Hawaii is more of an adult place (which is part of why I'm going without them).

I would probably bring back a few shells or some pics of pretty flowers (I have 3 girls). Our last beach vacation, my kids brought back some shells for the neighbor girl. She wasn't overly impressed with them (she's 9) but realized that the girls at least were thinking of her.

I think it’s thoughtful, but you know your kids best. My dad traveled frequently when I was growing up and always brought my siblings and I something. He often went places I would loved to have gone, but I liked knowing he was thinking of me. He still brings my kids small stuff when he travels now. He went to Hawaii a few years ago and brought my daughter a cute Hawaiian sundress. Just don’t be like my in-laws who went to WDW and only bought one of my kids a souvenir🙄

Last edited:
For kids that age something beach or Hawaii related should be fine, I would just avoid Disney themed gifts so they don’t have vacation envy. Little kids typically don’t care if they don’t go to the beach, but if they miss Disney...? Now that’s when it is a huge deal.

I would definitely bring them something from Hawaii (though not necessarily Disney-themed.) Most kids I know love to get presents from someone who has traveled. - They are curious about the world, and enjoy collecting things.

Some ideas:
Hawaiian dresses/shirts
Shell necklaces
Ukuleles
Beach Towels
CD of Hawaiian music

I always bring my kids back souvenirs if I travel without them whether I traveled for business or pleasure. They love it and know I was thinking of them even if they weren't with me. My parents did the same for me and my siblings. I can remember always looking forward to getting something fun (often a destination shirt) when they got back.

So - I'm wondering what people's perspectives/experiences are with this. For what it's worth, I didn't grow up in a family where we traveled (adults, or as a family) - so, this wasn't something that came up in my world. I'm traveling to Aulani for spring break, on my own (I have a 7 and 3 y/o). And I'm wondering - does it make sense to get them a souvenir? Like, is it thoughtful or does it create a "I wish I had gone" (I'm divorced with 50% custody - so, the trip is during time with their mom). And then, if you do get things for your kids when/if you take a solo trip - what sort of thing is good? I think if I were going to WDW/DL, that could be a little bit clearer - but it feels like Hawaii is more of an adult place (which is part of why I'm going without them).
we have had this in our family but there are half sibs in the picture. only problem we had was when the one got something and the sibs didn't when they were younger. the one thing bringing something does for your kids is it shows them you think of them when you are not with them

I think when it's your own kids who can't come with you for whatever reason, that bringing back a souvenir is a fun and appropriate way to show you were thinking of them. I agree with several others that I would make it more Hawaii/Beach themed, not Disney.

I do think it's a little weird and possibly uncouth when adults bring back souvenirs for all of their relatives/friends/neighbors etc. That reeks a little of just trying to show off and brag about your vacation. But I may be overly sensitive to the matter since MIL does this to us several times a year, and I have a houseful of meaningless clutter from it that I don't dare get rid of, lol!

I think its a really nice idea. Anytime I go somewhere without DS or DH and I travel without him (usually work related) we bring him back something. Usually something small, but he is always excited to get a treat when we come home.

I think when it's your own kids who can't come with you for whatever reason, that bringing back a souvenir is a fun and appropriate way to show you were thinking of them. I agree with several others that I would make it more Hawaii/Beach themed, not Disney.

I do think it's a little weird and possibly uncouth when adults bring back souvenirs for all of their relatives/friends/neighbors etc. That reeks a little of just trying to show off and brag about your vacation. But I may be overly sensitive to the matter since MIL does this to us several times a year, and I have a houseful of meaningless clutter from it that I don't dare get rid of, lol!
I wasn't saying everyone but from oldest grandson when his mom brought him something from a trip it went in the closet if he was only one getting something as he shared a room with his half brother. was talking about other kids in the house with that parent's kids from what I have seen. and it was the child hiding it not that he was told to by other parent

I will. I’m going in June on a week my boys are at their dad’s. I will bring them back something. We try to be respectful and not talk about the trip planning too much in front of them. But this is their sister’s graduation trip and she’s got 7 siblings between me and her father. We want to do something where we can focus on just her for once. And we’ve already started the discussion with the boys about the next Disney trip. In which, it’s likely they will get to go and she won’t because of school and work. Anyway, having faced this delimna before we I took my boys and my daughter was at her dads, I think it’s important not to act like you hiding the trip from them, but also not be in their faces about it either.

I would definitely bring something back for them. I wouldn't get something Disney themed, not because of vacation envy but just because Disney stuff is a dime a dozen.
I would get them something specifically Hawaiian.

I always bring them back souvenirs when we go on trips without them. I did Disney with DD and got DS a Splash Mountain mug that he loves. I'll be going to Nashville next week and I'll probably bring them back tshirts. They like to see what I got them and I think they feel like they were thought of even though I was away.

So, from someone whose parents went to Disney without me (They never took me. They waited until I was driving age and left me alone for a week while they were in Disney), it really, really hurt. But, I never told them that. I would just bring them back something beach related and not even mention that you're going to Disney.

This is sweet. I have a DD who's a CM and her sis (sadly not). We went to visit our CM and left the other adult DD behind. We brought her back an ornament inscribed with "2018- wish you were here" She thought it was funny/not funny since she couldn't go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts