Space 220 opening

I guess I thought Space 220, minus the broken screen or whatever it is, was 95% done? Seems like one you would want to limp across the finish line.
You are absolutely correct, the restaurant was almost completely finished. An huge piece of custom glass paneling cracked during installation and had to be special ordered and shipped. It was a 6 plus week delay, everything else was finished.

You are absolutely correct, the restaurant was almost completely finished. An huge piece of custom glass paneling cracked during installation and had to be special ordered and shipped. It was a 6 plus week delay, everything else was finished.

Then it seems like you'd want to just finish it and have it ready to open when epcot does.

Jim Hill stated on his podcast a couple weeks back that the glass was finally installed correctly just before the parks shut down.
It will be interesting to see how long it takes Space 220 to open once Epcot is reopened, since the construction won't be what delays the opening of the restaurant. The rumors indicate that Epcot will be the last park to reopen and when the parks reopen it may not be the ideal time to have this restaurant have its grand opening. But, at least, it won't be due to construction delays.

Still looking forward to this, hoping it is as good as advertised.
We don't really know what the inside looks like (only artwork of it) or the menu (lost their head chef), but I'm still excited to try it.

Was it defunded ? It’s so closed to being finished ? Can’t see how they can not even if they wasn’t to not complete projects that closed to be finished

Was it defunded ? It’s so closed to being finished ? Can’t see how they can not even if they wasn’t to not complete projects that closed to be finished

They will eventually finish it - all the projects that weren't done were defunded during the pandemic but will resume once Disney is able to. It's just a matter of when, and that will depend heavily on when and how they reopen the parks.

They will eventually finish it - all the projects that weren't done were defunded during the pandemic but will resume once Disney is able to. It's just a matter of when, and that will depend heavily on when and how they reopen the parks.

Well, not necessarily*all* the projects that weren't done. We've seen in the past some projects get started but Disney and then never complete, at least per the original intention.

I do think Space 220 is sooo close to being done (based on what info is out there) that it will be completed - and like you said, timing of it likely to depend on how quickly the parks open and how attendance is, etc

Other things, like the work in the middle of Future World I could see being scaled way back from the concept art/original plans

Well, not necessarily*all* the projects that weren't done. We've seen in the past some projects get started but Disney and then never complete, at least per the original intention.

I do think Space 220 is sooo close to being done (based on what info is out there) that it will be completed - and like you said, timing of it likely to depend on how quickly the parks open and how attendance is, etc

Other things, like the work in the middle of Future World I could see being scaled way back from the concept art/original plans

Very true. Even GE was scaled down from its original intention. But still completed in some form. And S220 I agree was much too close to being completed for it to be tabled or even really scaled back.

I think execs know Space 220 will be a huge money maker, no way it won’t open. People have been looking forward to this restaurant for a loonngg time. Just so unique!

Any new updates on when this will open.
Sadly with them not reopening so many other food and beverage locations in EPCOT that were operational pre-shutdown I find it hard to believe they will open this one anytime soon. Bummer because I was really looking forward to it with our APs this year.

Sadly with them not reopening so many other food and beverage locations in EPCOT that were operational pre-shutdown I find it hard to believe they will open this one anytime soon. Bummer because I was really looking forward to it with our APs this year.

It also just feels like not the right time to open anything new. With so much uncertainty and the travel restrictions from certain states, etc I could see them holding off on having some grand opening ceremony for anything for a bit even if it is ready to go

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter