Space Mountain and a Scooter

OnlyDisney

DIS Veteran
I'm not sure if I remember correctly how the line works for Space when you have a Scooter. My uncle will have to transfer out of his scooter and either walk or he'll be provided a wheelchair someone will have to push correct?

We're going to try to get a fastpass for this ride, but if they want to ride it again is this one that would need a wheelchair return time?

On a side note, it's been so long since I've used the regular line, when it's just the immediate family we only have a walker - no scooter. Would we need a wheelchair return time for the walker or is the regular line walker friendly?

You need to transfer to a Disney provided wheelchair located next to the FP entrance, and go through the FP line since the standby line has stairs. If you don't have a FP, they give you a return time (standby wait time minus about 10 minutes).

Just to add to what the PP said right when you get out of the tunnel into the big room there will be a gate to your right with s wheelchair sign on it go thought this and wait for a CM to help you

Depending on your uncle's disability, Space can be one of the most difficult rides to transfer into and out of the vehicle. My brother who is severely disabled but can still transfer with assistance found Space to be very challenging; it took both my husband and me to help him transfer.

Depending on your uncle's disability, Space can be one of the most difficult rides to transfer into and out of the vehicle. My brother who is severely disabled but can still transfer with assistance found Space to be very challenging; it took both my husband and me to help him transfer.
Thank you for reminding me about that. I'll have to double check with my aunt and uncle, but last we talked they said they wanted to do Space. They live out in California and go to Disneyland. I think Space out there has side by side seats but can't remember if you sit so low in those ones.

Ok, I am going to ask, what is it about the queue here that prevents ECVs from being taken all the way in?

And why does Disney World have so many attractions with this restriction?

The ones I know of are:
  • Big Thunder (I get it would be a tight squeeze, but it could be done)
  • Buzz (The door between the loading and unloading area is apparently too narrow)
  • Haunted Mansion (Although there was a point in time where they were allowed, but went in through the exit, I know because we did it)
  • Pirates (Again there was a point in time where they could be accommodated by going backstage, but it would take longer than the FP queue)
  • Star Tours (As I understand they didn't build the ramps with enough strength to withstand the weight of ECVs)
  • Tower of Terror (This is apparently due to a single pole that makes it impossible for most ECVs to make the turn, so why not remove/move that pole?)
  • Rockin' Roller Coaster (I am not sure why here)
  • Flights of Passage (ECVs can go most of the way, but not completely, so this means it isn't limited to just older rides)
  • Spaceship Earth (Here you can at least get close to the exit ramp and walk up it or use a wheelchair and again it makes sense that it would be hard to fix this without completely changing the unload area)
  • Magic Kingdom Railroad (I really don't know why ECVs aren't allowed to rid it when the Disneyland Railroad allows it)
  • TTA (Speed Ramps definitely are the issue here and a major refurbishment would be required to change this)
  • Space Mountain (Back when it had the speed ramps at the exit, I understood not allowing ECVs, at least until needing one at Sea World and ECVs being allowed on speed ramps there, but now that isn't even an issue)
  • Enchanted Tales with Belle (Really don't understand why no ECVs allowed there)
These are the ones I know of off the top of my head, seems like quite a lot to me, some can be fixed, some can't be, but I am wondering why they don't fix the ones that can be and definitely don't understand Space Mountain or Enchanted Tales with Belle. I also am aware that some of these have alternate entrances for those who can't use a wheelchair in the queues, but that is still not equal as it misses some key preshow elements at some of these attractions.

I can’t speak for all, but what i’ve been told about several is that it’s an issue of space. So many people are using ECVs that parking them inside at either boarding (or unboarding if different) creates a safety hazard. Manual wheelchairs can be folded to take less space when parked.

Enjoy your vacation!

We were also told that most of the older rides (Space, BTMR) were not designed to be ECV, and in some cases even WC, accessible. The newer rides are in general better designed. At FOP, we could have taken a Disney WC all the way to the bikes but my brother decided to use his canes in the pre-load area. The best ride is Toy Story Mania with their 'Wave' access. It's SO much easier to load and unload than most of the other rides; one of the cars can even accommodate an ECV with no need to transfer at all.

I would say space, but safety being the #1 issue. Our son is in a power chair and over the past 3 years, we have stood in quite a few lines with people in ECVs. I have been literally run over 3 times, one time the lady in the ECV cut my ankle so severely, I had to leave our line and go to first aid so I didn't bleed all over everyone. People just don't pay attention and heaven forbid a child is in the path of that lady who ran over my foot.

I would say space, but safety being the #1 issue. Our son is in a power chair and over the past 3 years, we have stood in quite a few lines with people in ECVs. I have been literally run over 3 times, one time the lady in the ECV cut my ankle so severely, I had to leave our line and go to first aid so I didn't bleed all over everyone. People just don't pay attention and heaven forbid a child is in the path of that lady who ran over my foot.
I have had people in power chairs and wheel chairs rub me over on purpose to get somewhere faster than me, so sorry I don't but safety or you would see them not allowed in any queue at all.

I can’t speak for all, but what i’ve been told about several is that it’s an issue of space. So many people are using ECVs that parking them inside at either boarding (or unboarding if different) creates a safety hazard. Manual wheelchairs can be folded to take less space when parked.

Enjoy your vacation!
Sorry, but that is a cop out, there are ways to handle that issue, which Disneyland does quite well pretty much everywhere but Star Tours and Mansion now, although most ofothe CMs at Mansion want the ECVs back inside the building, apparently it made things easier on them somehow.

This includes at Guardians (which was of course TOT), which shows space isn't an issue there.

No, I don't buy into we don't have the room, they could simply limit the number inside the show building at any given time if space is an issue.

We were also told that most of the older rides (Space, BTMR) were not designed to be ECV, and in some cases even WC, accessible. The newer rides are in general better designed. At FOP, we could have taken a Disney WC all the way to the bikes but my brother decided to use his canes in the pre-load area. The best ride is Toy Story Mania with their 'Wave' access. It's SO much easier to load and unload than most of the other rides; one of the cars can even accommodate an ECV with no need to transfer at all.
Same goes for Disneyland, but they have found ways to accommodate ECVs on almost every queue.

Ok, I am going to ask, what is it about the queue here that prevents ECVs from being taken all the way in?

And why does Disney World have so many attractions with this restriction?

The ones I know of are:
  • Big Thunder (I get it would be a tight squeeze, but it could be done)
  • Buzz (The door between the loading and unloading area is apparently too narrow)
  • Haunted Mansion (Although there was a point in time where they were allowed, but went in through the exit, I know because we did it)
  • Pirates (Again there was a point in time where they could be accommodated by going backstage, but it would take longer than the FP queue)
  • Star Tours (As I understand they didn't build the ramps with enough strength to withstand the weight of ECVs)
  • Tower of Terror (This is apparently due to a single pole that makes it impossible for most ECVs to make the turn, so why not remove/move that pole?)
  • Rockin' Roller Coaster (I am not sure why here)
  • Flights of Passage (ECVs can go most of the way, but not completely, so this means it isn't limited to just older rides)
  • Spaceship Earth (Here you can at least get close to the exit ramp and walk up it or use a wheelchair and again it makes sense that it would be hard to fix this without completely changing the unload area)
  • Magic Kingdom Railroad (I really don't know why ECVs aren't allowed to rid it when the Disneyland Railroad allows it)
  • TTA (Speed Ramps definitely are the issue here and a major refurbishment would be required to change this)
  • Space Mountain (Back when it had the speed ramps at the exit, I understood not allowing ECVs, at least until needing one at Sea World and ECVs being allowed on speed ramps there, but now that isn't even an issue)
  • Enchanted Tales with Belle (Really don't understand why no ECVs allowed there)
These are the ones I know of off the top of my head, seems like quite a lot to me, some can be fixed, some can't be, but I am wondering why they don't fix the ones that can be and definitely don't understand Space Mountain or Enchanted Tales with Belle. I also am aware that some of these have alternate entrances for those who can't use a wheelchair in the queues, but that is still not equal as it misses some key preshow elements at some of these attractions.
BTMRR wheelchair ECV go through the exit if someone needs to stay in there ECV they can. There’s would be no why a wheelchair let alone an ECV would fit in the regular or FP line the ramp going down is very narrow

I have had people in power chairs and wheel chairs rub me over on purpose to get somewhere faster than me, so sorry I don't but safety or you would see them not allowed in any queue at all.
Personally, I would be fine not allowing rented ECVs in the lines, but that is an entirely different discussion. Disneyland doesn't handle nearly the crowd WDW does and WDW does a fantastic job of minimizing wait time and not allowing ECVs and Power Chairs in certain ride/show lines is one way they accomplish this. Ironically, my son has never complained about not being able to stay in his power chair to the front of the line, instead he is grateful to be at Disney and the show/ride is the same either way.

BTMRR wheelchair ECV go through the exit if someone needs to stay in there ECV they can. There’s would be no why a wheelchair let alone an ECV would fit in the regular or FP line the ramp going down is very narrow
Actually, they do not allow (as of the end of of January) any ECV to go down to the load area, instead you park the ECV at the top and walk down or take a wheelchair down, which may cause problems.

Personally, I would be fine not allowing rented ECVs in the lines, but that is an entirely different discussion. Disneyland doesn't handle nearly the crowd WDW does and WDW does a fantastic job of minimizing wait time and not allowing ECVs and Power Chairs in certain ride/show lines is one way they accomplish this. Ironically, my son has never complained about not being able to stay in his power chair to the front of the line, instead he is grateful to be at Disney and the show/ride is the same either way.
Power chairs usually are allowed in many cases (not all), but the point is there needs to be options for those who need to remain on their ECVs. Yes, Disney World handles more people, but it also has a ton more space everywhere (including in the show buildings), sorry but not allowing ECVs in the queues is discriminatory unless there is a legitimate reason they can't (for example Buzz where the door is too small and there is no way to make it bigger). Now they could ask that if you can transfer to please do so, but they shouldn't be able to arbitrarily say no because it decreases wait times.

Actually, they do not allow (as of the end of of January) any ECV to go down to the load area, instead you park the ECV at the top and walk down or take a wheelchair down, which may cause problems.
Are you talking about Disneyland

Are you talking about Disneyland
Nope, at Disney World, the CM was very clear when we went, ECVs are not allowed down to the loading area under any circumstances. Powerchairs were at the CMs discretion.

Disneyland will allow ECVs down, personally I usually park it though because it is a bit of a pain to take down, but the point is those that need to do so can, something not allowed at Disney World.

Last edited:
Nope, at Disney World, the CM was very clear when we went, ECVs are not allowed down to the loading area under any circumstances. Powerchairs were at the CMs discretion.
Was just there and there was someone in an ECV at BTMRR in the holding area right behind me strange and this was at the world

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter