Space Mountain and a Scooter

There are actually some restrictions as to where those can be installed and used. I wonder if they would work with boats or not. Additionally, it may be that they would take too long to use. A side that opens would reduce the time it takes, but would most likely be more expensive than the lift. Although, Disney would want to theme the chairs, so they may cost more.

LOL I never thought about that - that they might want to theme the pool seat lifts! I do know that at the Resort pools where I have seen them, when they aren't in use, they have canvas covers to protect them... Those would probably be really easy to "costume"! LOL

The only reason that I really think the pool seat lift might get Disney off their butts (pun intended LOL) is because then (in theory) they wouldn't have to modify the boats, just install the lifts. And they probably already have a training module in place (since they use those at the Resort pools) so it wouldn't be a far stretch.

But sadly, I guess it's all just conjecture, right? It is fun to imagine though! :)

This definitely doesn't apply to every attraction, the only attractions I know of where this is an issue are as follows (and I will detail if there are alternatives that I know about):
  • Magic Kingdom
    • Pirates
    • Big Thunder
      • Some have apparently been allowed to take and ECV down, we were not on this last trip, but others have since we got back, not sure if it has to do with size of ECV or some other factors
    • Splash Mountain
      • They will ask you to leave the ECV a bit from the loading dock, but you can take it down if you ask, just if there are already a certain number down it may take a few extra minutes.
    • Rafts to Tom Sawyer's Island
    • Peter Pan (although last I saw they can make it a very short distance that you would need to walk)
    • Enchanted Tales with Belle
      • Sometimes ECVs will be allowed, sometimes they won't.
    • Magic Kingdom Railroad
      • You can take the ECV up to load, but the ECV cannot go on the train, so you have to do a round trip. This one still is odd to me since Disneyland allows ECVs on the train.
    • Winnie the Pooh
      • They can allow you to use the exit here if no CM is available to push, as that is how they have helped us in the past.
    • Space Mountain
    • Haunted Mansion
      • If no one is available to push, they should be able to find accommodations for you, but I don't know what they may or may not be at the current time.
    • Buzz
      • If no one is available to push, there is an alternate entrance around the side, but you miss the entire queue.
    • Main Street Transportation
      • I have not tried at Disney World, but I know at Disneyland if you have an ECV and really want to ride the transportation, they will make an exception and allow you to do a round trip. I don't see why you couldn't politely ask to do this there as well.
  • EPCOT
    • Test Track
      • If no one is available to push you, there is an alternate entrance through the exit. I know this, as this is also the entrance that must be used for service animals.
    • Finding Nemo
      • This one sometimes allows ECVs through the queue and sometimes doesn't. If they don't and no one is available, they have an alternate entrance.
    • Journey Into Imagination with Figment
      • The queue is fully accessible; however, sometimes they put the ECVs further down the hall than others, so if you need it to be close by when you get off, let them know when you board.
  • Hollywood Studios
    • Tower of Terror
      • There is an alternate entrance through the exit, you have to go to the entrance of the ride and let them know you will need it though. You will miss all but the boiler room of the queue.
    • Rockin' Roller Coaster
      • There is an alternate entrance through the exit, again, you must go to the entrance and let them know you need it. You will miss the entire queue.
    • Star Tours
      • I haven't used an ECV to go on this one, so I don't know if there is an alternate entrance or not.
    • Alien Swirling Saucers
      • The ECV could be taken through the queue, but I can stand and walk short distances, so I stood once we were on our numbers to board. There may be the option to take your ECV up to the ride vehicle and have them bring it back, but you would need to ask.
  • Animal Kingdom
    • Flights of Passage
      • The majority of the queue is accessible to ECVs; however, once you reach the preshow room you would need to transfer to a wheelchair. So before getting in line, I would ask what options there are when you reach that point, as I truly don't know.
Those are all of the attractions that I know of with accessibility issues with ECVs, there are some I don't really ride, so it is possible there are a couple of others, but that should give you some idea of what to expect and where there are alternate entrances.

Thank you very much! This is more or less what I have experienced in the past, so i'm not going to worry. I can walk short distances so should be fine. Again, thank you very much!

I was just watching a YouTube video form someone that went just a little while ago and their was an ECV in the test track line.
I took my ECV all the way into Test Track. The CM at the loading area drove it into a little elevator and it met me at unloading.

• You can take the ECV up to load, but the ECV cannot go on the train, so you have to do a round trip. This one still is odd to me since Disneyland allows ECVs on the train.

At one time, DL trains allowed 2 but a CM there told me that it was a tight fit and different groups refused to cooperate and move around so that the other group could enter and exit. Now only one ECV/WC and accompanying group is allowed in the accessible compartment at a time unless both devices belong to the same group. The wait times can get pretty long.

WDW allows 2 WCs in each compartment and it is not uncommon to still need to wait for another train with an empty space. I'm not sure how an ECV would fit and still allow another WC or ECV to load and unload without the ECV moving and vice versa. WDW trains don't have the capacity to accommodate ECVs currently (well, when it was operating) and DL avoids much of the issue by having just a fraction of the number of ECVs that MK does while also being not as enticing to ride since DL's Main Street station is not WC or ECV accessible.

Ok, I am going to ask, what is it about the queue here that prevents ECVs from being taken all the way in?

And why does Disney World have so many attractions with this restriction?

The ones I know of are:
  • Big Thunder (I get it would be a tight squeeze, but it could be done)
  • Buzz (The door between the loading and unloading area is apparently too narrow)
  • Haunted Mansion (Although there was a point in time where they were allowed, but went in through the exit, I know because we did it)
  • Pirates (Again there was a point in time where they could be accommodated by going backstage, but it would take longer than the FP queue)
  • Star Tours (As I understand they didn't build the ramps with enough strength to withstand the weight of ECVs)
  • Tower of Terror (This is apparently due to a single pole that makes it impossible for most ECVs to make the turn, so why not remove/move that pole?)
  • Rockin' Roller Coaster (I am not sure why here)
  • Flights of Passage (ECVs can go most of the way, but not completely, so this means it isn't limited to just older rides)
  • Spaceship Earth (Here you can at least get close to the exit ramp and walk up it or use a wheelchair and again it makes sense that it would be hard to fix this without completely changing the unload area)
  • Magic Kingdom Railroad (I really don't know why ECVs aren't allowed to rid it when the Disneyland Railroad allows it)
  • TTA (Speed Ramps definitely are the issue here and a major refurbishment would be required to change this)
  • Space Mountain (Back when it had the speed ramps at the exit, I understood not allowing ECVs, at least until needing one at Sea World and ECVs being allowed on speed ramps there, but now that isn't even an issue)
  • Enchanted Tales with Belle (Really don't understand why no ECVs allowed there)
These are the ones I know of off the top of my head, seems like quite a lot to me, some can be fixed, some can't be, but I am wondering why they don't fix the ones that can be and definitely don't understand Space Mountain or Enchanted Tales with Belle. I also am aware that some of these have alternate entrances for those who can't use a wheelchair in the queues, but that is still not equal as it misses some key preshow elements at some of these attractions.

Star Tours at Hollywood Studios allows the ECV in. We brought my Mom's in a bunch of times in September. You go up the handicap ramp and then are given a card with a gate number on it. They then send you down a long narrow hall between gates C&D (B&C, sorry I forget which) and park it at the exit. You then board via the exit at the gate you were assigned. The cast member at load knows you are coming and holds those last few seats of the front row open for you.

This definitely doesn't apply to every attraction, the only attractions I know of where this is an issue are as follows (and I will detail if there are alternatives that I know about):
  • Magic Kingdom
  • EPCOT
    • Test Track
      • If no one is available to push you, there is an alternate entrance through the exit. I know this, as this is also the entrance that must be used for service animals.
    • Finding Nemo
      • This one sometimes allows ECVs through the queue and sometimes doesn't. If they don't and no one is available, they have an alternate entrance.
  • Hollywood Studios
    • Star Tours
      • I haven't used an ECV to go on this one, so I don't know if there is an alternate entrance or not.
    • Alien Swirling Saucers
      • The ECV could be taken through the queue, but I can stand and walk short distances, so I stood once we were on our numbers to board. There may be the option to take your ECV up to the ride vehicle and have them bring it back, but you would need to ask.
Those are all of the attractions that I know of with accessibility issues with ECVs, there are some I don't really ride, so it is possible there are a couple of others, but that should give you some idea of what to expect and where there are alternate entrances.

I have left the couple I disagree with you about on the list above.

Test Track - We have always been allowed to bring the ECV all the way into the ride and it gets taken just as we get in the car line. Only have to stand maybe 2 minutes. ECV is taken up and down the small elevator to get it to the exit side.

Finding Nemo - Never had a problem bringing the ECV all the way in to the load area.

Star Tours - They have added a small narrow hallway that the ECV can go down from the entrance side and then board from the exit side.

Alien Swirling Saucers - They have always asked if we need the ECV all the way to the car, but it has never been needed for us.

Thank you for reminding me about that. I'll have to double check with my aunt and uncle, but last we talked they said they wanted to do Space. They live out in California and go to Disneyland. I think Space out there has side by side seats but can't remember if you sit so low in those ones.

The big difference between the 2 is related to the load/unload area. At Disneyland, the car is pulled off the track for load/unload which gives someone a lot more time to get into or out of the ride. It is a step down, but there is more to hold onto and you do sit side by side. And again, you have as much time as you need. At MK, it is on the regular track and you need to be a lot faster getting in and out. I think it is a bit lower and what you could use to help yourself up at MK is lower. My mom rides at Disneyland all the time and loves the ride. We skip it at MK because she just cannot get in or out easily or fast enough. Ask them how it goes riding Matterhorn at Disneyland. That would be a closer comparison to the ride vehicle and how one would need to get in and out. We skip that at Disneyland for the reasons we skip Space at MK.

Just to clarify, if the OP is referring to Space Mountain at WDW, then the OP is correct; however, if they are talking about SM at DL, then they will go in through the exit (after applicable FP/Wheelchair/DAS Return Time) and the ECV can be taken all the way to the loading platform.

Good read...I'm going to be with two ECV'ers - I haven't experienced WDW with this yet (have at DL, but it's been a few years) Step-dad has osteoarthritis in hip, mom has it in both knees. Going to be interesting! My mom can walk where needed no problem - she's just slow, step dad we'll probably have to transfer to wheelchair where necessary as he also has COPD and gets short of breath very quickly.

I took my ECV all the way into Test Track. The CM at the loading area drove it into a little elevator and it met me at unloading.

Same here! But I learned not to ask. I just kept driving at the entrance and no one stopped me. But the one time I stopped and asked if I could drive my scooter in, they told me "No" and I was supposed to transfer to a wheelchair. Since, as I pointed out, I was solo, it meant no ride for me. So now I just keep driving, but slowly and figure they'll stop me. No problem yet.

Same here! But I learned not to ask. I just kept driving at the entrance and no one stopped me. But the one time I stopped and asked if I could drive my scooter in, they told me "No" and I was supposed to transfer to a wheelchair. Since, as I pointed out, I was solo, it meant no ride for me. So now I just keep driving, but slowly and figure they'll stop me. No problem yet.
Test Track has an alternative entrance through the exit if you can't transfer, just let them know you can't transfer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter