Space Mountain for the World’s Biggest Ride Chicken.

Hello everyone. As you can tell from the title, I have a question about SM. I have got to be the wussiest ride chicken there is. I’ve tried searching for other chickens as big as me to see if I can handle this ride, but it seems everyone who has asked has been able to handle rides like Splash Mountain and Thunder Railroad... not me. Let me give you a quick explanation of just how big of a chicken I am: probably the most thrilling ride I have been on at Disney is Test Track. I liked TT, but the fast part makes me a little nervous. I haven’t been on Pirates in years simply because I cannot STAND drops, not even the little baby one in PotC. I hated Frozen Ever After BECAUSE of the drop at the end (I know what you’re thinking—why is this person even going to Disney??), and that ride doesn’t even have restraints! I have been to DW five times now and I’m going for a sixth time next month, and I have always chickened out on Space Mountain. I would also like to try BTR but if there’s any sort of stomach-drop feeling or the feeling of falling then I just can’t do it. Can some of you give me advice on if I should try it or not? Please note I am not the spontaneous type to just rip off the bandaid and get on before I can stop myself. I have to watch repeated YouTube videos and agonize over it for weeks! Anybody who has been on it, please let me know! Thanks!

There are drops and there are a few occasions of feeling like falling. I would do BTMR before I tried Space. Space is a problem because it's in the dark and you can't see the drop coming.
Thank you! I will definitely do BTMR first, I was wanting to try that one this time around because I always chicken out on that, too. If I can handle it I’ll try Space. Thanks!

Personally, I think Space Mountain is very unpleasant and uncomfortable. Moves (including drops) are pretty sudden and this is the only ride in the DW I find painful (literally - I felt like I should check for bruises). Have not ridden it for some time. And strongly advised my wife (who is scared of roller coaster) not to ride. Actually, I really do not understand what people like about this one!
BTMR is much "easier". It is a bit bumpy and you are not "fixed" like on Seven Dwarfs but you see where you are going and it is great fun. My wife got a bit scared first time but really enjoyed it when I convinced her to try again

OP -
If I was you, think hard about skipping Space. It's not a particularly major coaster, or anything, but since it's in the dark, it feels more thrilling than it actually is.
If you do ride it, brace yourself - you won't see the movements before they happen, and the folks that let themselves flop around, are the ones that might have issues because of the unseen movements. I think people brace themselves more when they can see what's coming. You gotta stay "braced" on SM or else you'll be jerked around.

I like SM, but BTM and splash are better thrill rides at MK, imo. Maybe if space had more light up flashes like stars I might like it a little more. After the initial "launch" it's just cold and dark.

OP -
If I was you, think hard about skipping Space. It's not a particularly major coaster, or anything, but since it's in the dark, it feels more thrilling than it actually is.
If you do ride it, brace yourself - you won't see the movements before they happen, and the folks that let themselves flop around, are the ones that might have issues because of the unseen movements. I think people brace themselves more when they can see what's coming. You gotta stay "braced" on SM or else you'll be jerked around.

I like SM, but BTM and splash are better thrill rides at MK, imo. Maybe if space had more light up flashes like stars I might like it a little more. After the initial "launch" it's just cold and dark.
This exactly! I couldn't have said it better myself. Space isn't a major coaster, but the fact that it's in the dark makes it seem more extreme. No major drops but there are some dips that come out of nowhere and some downward runs that are quite thrilling also. With Space Mountain I have come full circle, as a small child I thought it was so scary, then as teen and a young man I thought it was kind of ho-hum compared to major coasters at other parks. Now in my 50's I'm back to being thrilled (scared) every time I ride it. I think you should go with BTMRR as you can see what's coming and there are no drops, just a lot of up and down track and back and forth turns...like riding a bucking bronco.

If you don't like drops, don't do Space. Space doesn't have any huge drops, the problem is, in the dark, it's very disorienting and one (I'm talking me here), can't discern when the drop ends. In watching The Imagineering Story on Disney+, they explain it was actually designed this way - to kind of fool the body into thinking it's dropping more than it is. I'm a roller coaster chicken and hate drops. Space wouldn't be so bad if it weren't so jerky and so disorienting. I just did it with the holiday overlay where you can see the track and it wasn't bad at all. In the dark, it's a whole other story. If you do decide to do it, I've discovered, if you count to 100 slowly, it will be over. That's the only way I can get through it when my DS12 really wants me to ride with him.

If you don't like drops, don't do Space. Space doesn't have any huge drops, the problem is, in the dark, it's very disorienting and one (I'm talking me here), can't discern when the drop ends. In watching The Imagineering Story on Disney+, they explain it was actually designed this way - to kind of fool the body into thinking it's dropping more than it is. I'm a roller coaster chicken and hate drops. Space wouldn't be so bad if it weren't so jerky and so disorienting. I just did it with the holiday overlay where you can see the track and it wasn't bad at all. In the dark, it's a whole other story. If you do decide to do it, I've discovered, if you count to 100 slowly, it will be over. That's the only way I can get through it when my DS12 really wants me to ride with him.

It's weird. I thought the jerking was worse with the overlay XD. Maybe the colors disoriented me more than the dark.

@Emmaleighg728 Is there anything particularly motivating you to ride? Wanting to go with others? Just challenging yourself? Asking because if these ride aren't for you, no shame in that. Plenty of fun attractions that don't involve those drops you don't like.

I’m not a roller coaster fan. I love Pirates and Frozen. SDMT and Big Thunder are the only actual coasters I ride. Hopefully I will decide to try SDD next time. I chickened out in our last trip, lol. I’m like you in that I have to be fully prepared before I try something new. I will not try Space Mountain because the anxiety of not able to see what’s coming is too much for me.

I'm a wuss. It's why I've never gone to Universal. We live in Ohio and have Cedar Point passes. I am the designated stuff holder while everyone rides. Disney is one place that I can ride most of the rides. I have issues with Everest. I did ToT once and seriously thought I was going to die. My daughter thought it was hilarious but I was in tears. I cannot do Splash Mountain either. The drop is too much for me. Last time we road it 6 years ago we got stuck right before the drop. The anxiety of that makes me nervous to walk past it. I love BTMRR. It's just enough of a thrill for me. Space I'm iffy about. Sometimes I can handle it other times I can't. It can be jerky, so it's hit or miss.

I absolutely LOVE rollercoasters, and I can't handle Space Mountain at all. Definitely because of being in the dark, and the motion sickness that I get because of it. I enjoy Rock N Roller Coaster at HS, but not Space ---- I can "see" more on RnR than I can in Space, and that makes a difference for me.

Agree with a previous poster about the jerkiness of Space too.

There is a video online of Space Mountain with the lights on. It will at least give you an idea of what goes on.

I am not a ride chicken. I do not enjoy Space Mtn because it is rough. Since it is dark, you can't see which way the track is turning so you can't "lean into it". The back of the seat is only shoulder height (I am 5'5") so your head flops around. I think you might want to skip it.

I am a ride wimp, but I would recommend 7DMT and Thunder as easier to handle. I find Thunder to be the right amount of thrill and 7DMT has neat details to see. (I will also go through Splash every now and again because it is an awesome ride, except the drop. I won't do TOT ever again because I just can't do that many drops)
It took me years to work up to Space. I am a ride wimp. I grew up in So Cal and didn't do Space until I was a teenager (at least 16).
I don't really think Space is all that great, though, if you don't like the thrill.

At Universal, I did Forbidden Journey, Mummy and Gringott's, and though I was a little outside my comfort zone, I think those rides have great theme aspects to them, so they are worth doing.

It's weird. I thought the jerking was worse with the overlay XD. Maybe the colors disoriented me more than the dark.

@Emmaleighg728 Is there anything particularly motivating you to ride? Wanting to go with others? Just challenging yourself? Asking because if these ride aren't for you, no shame in that. Plenty of fun attractions that don't involve those drops you don't like.

I think, for me, because I could see the track and anticipate what was about to happen, I wasn't as nervous about the ride and enjoyed it more. It probably was as jerky, I was just so happy I wasn't going to drop very far!

I hate drops too. I don't like the one on pirates, but I can handle it (and brace myself for it). I don't mind the one on Frozen because I think it's not as steep as a drop as the other rides. I do BTMRR with my kids, but I don't enjoy it. There are parts where I get that stomach-drop feeling, but I can handle it, it's over pretty quick. I hate splash, I don't go on that anymore.
I don't like space, but I will go on if my DS really wants to go on (when DD refuses to go on with him, she doesn't like it either). Space is dark, jerky, sudden drops, seems very fast (probably because it's in the dark) and one of the worst parts for me is towards the end there is a part where you're going down in a spiral motion on the track. I get motion sickness easily and that part makes me feel really weird.
Have you tried 7 dwarfs or slinky dog? Those 2 are fun and they don't affect me the way all the other rides mentioned do. At MK, I'd definitely start with BTMRR and/or 7 dwarfs before going on space. If you can't handle those, you'll hate space. Space is worse.

I would skip Space - another vote that direction. I start non-coaster friends in this order - Barnstormer, BTMR, 7DMT, SDD, Everest and finally RnRC. When they start being uncomfortable we stop moving up the chain. I don't put anyone one Space that doesn't have the drive to go - as I won't ride the FL version it is jerky and very hard on my back (now DL version - totally riding that!).

Hello everyone. As you can tell from the title, I have a question about SM. I have got to be the wussiest ride chicken there is. I’ve tried searching for other chickens as big as me to see if I can handle this ride, but it seems everyone who has asked has been able to handle rides like Splash Mountain and Thunder Railroad... not me. Let me give you a quick explanation of just how big of a chicken I am: probably the most thrilling ride I have been on at Disney is Test Track. I liked TT, but the fast part makes me a little nervous. I haven’t been on Pirates in years simply because I cannot STAND drops, not even the little baby one in PotC. I hated Frozen Ever After BECAUSE of the drop at the end (I know what you’re thinking—why is this person even going to Disney??), and that ride doesn’t even have restraints! I have been to DW five times now and I’m going for a sixth time next month, and I have always chickened out on Space Mountain. I would also like to try BTR but if there’s any sort of stomach-drop feeling or the feeling of falling then I just can’t do it. Can some of you give me advice on if I should try it or not? Please note I am not the spontaneous type to just rip off the bandaid and get on before I can stop myself. I have to watch repeated YouTube videos and agonize over it for weeks! Anybody who has been on it, please let me know! Thanks!

You sound like me I won’t go on POTC or Frozen because of the drops and I don’t do coasters. Have tried in the past Thunder and Space but not again for me. Will never go on Splash, Mine Train, Everest, TOT, or RRC. I do enjoy TT and the motion simulators. On FOP during the times you feel like that I looked away and it was fine would definitely go on that again. We find there is so much to do at Disney and always have a great time.

yeah . . . if what you're saying is not an exaggeration you probably won't be happy on Space Mountain. Really won't be happy . . .

The darkness makes the turns and drops (while mild in overall roller coaster spectrum) feel far more exaggerated and definitely take you by surprise.

Agree with many PPs.

If the drop on pirates affected you to the point of never riding again you will not be happy on Space Mountain. Not one bit.

My fears come from heights so I can ride anything in the dark. As long as I can’t see how high I am no issues.
RNRC is my favourite ride in WDW - we re-ride that bad boy as many times as we can. But California Screamin? Nope. Because I can see it. And it’s practically the same darn ride.

We’re all different. Do not ruin your day or trip by stressing about riding something you really don’t want to. Not worth the anxiety IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!