Spaceship Earth to close May 26th

Throwing in my thoughts/predictions...I imagine it will be down for around two years, but will be open by the 40th anniversary of EPCOT. I imagine it will close for the refurbs by the end of May 2020.

I rode SSE less than a week ago and it was in terrible shape. Half of the lights were turned off for some reason, making the ride even darker. The ride itself was so rough and noisy I kept expecting it to shut down. When I rode it in December it did shut down, very abruptly and with a horrible grinding sound. We were stuck for at least twenty minutes and I was sure I was going to experience my first ride evacuation. As much as I love SSE (it’s my second favorite ride in all of WDW) and as much as I am concerned about what they could do to it during the renovation, it really needs a lot of TLC, especially the track and ride vehicles.

Booked FP’s for our trip the last week of March — and was surprised to SSE in there as an option. Hoping they wait until April — but won’t be surprised if they close it earlier. Friends just got back from a trip and said it’s in rough shape. 😒

I'll confess we got a FP for it for our first week of March visit hoping it would go down for refurb and we could get an any experience FP! We rode it during our September trip, and the audio was so bad I was constantly interpreting it for our grandsons. If it isn't down, we will just tap out and try for something else-

I'll confess we got a FP for it for our first week of March visit hoping it would go down for refurb and we could get an any experience FP! We rode it during our September trip, and the audio was so bad I was constantly interpreting it for our grandsons. If it isn't down, we will just tap out and try for something else-
I’ve ridden it a few times this week and haven’t had any issues with the audio— it’s been loud and clear as usual. Did see one car with a Blue Screen of Death on the screen earlier today, though ;) (they weren’t loading guests on that one, but also hadn’t turned it off, either).

My only real “complaint” about Spaceship Earth’s condition right now is one that I’ve had for the past few years— the ride system seems like it’s getting pretty rough, and it’s pretty loud and squeaky. I don’t recall it always being like this, so I think it’s pretty obvious that (mechanically) the ride’s overdue for a refurb.

one thought to throw out there - there has been a lot of chatter/rumors going around that the impact of Shanghai and Hong Kong being closed will be felt at the Stateside resorts - with cutting staffing and closing things early and backing off on construction that hasn't started yet

I wonder if this could impact the timeline for Spaceship Earth

We were there last week (or was it week before last?) and it was o.k. We did notice you could see the skeleton at the top and we didn't think you could see that before so maybe some lights were out or on or we were imagining it because we knew it was going into refurb soon. Do anyone know if it's just refurb. or a whole new ride? I'd miss my Phoenicians.

We were there last week (or was it week before last?) and it was o.k. We did notice you could see the skeleton at the top and we didn't think you could see that before so maybe some lights were out or on or we were imagining it because we knew it was going into refurb soon. Do anyone know if it's just refurb. or a whole new ride? I'd miss my Phoenicians.

Sort of in between - it will change focus to be about storytelling vs history of communication. Here is the official wording from Disney:

The iconic Spaceship Earth will remain a voyage through time as the journey transforms to reflect the power of storytelling to unite the human experience. New narration and an entirely new musical score will focus on the moments and ideas that define our story. You will follow a magical “story light” that brings the entire experience to life in dynamic ways, giving each scene energy and beauty that ties the entire journey together.

Sort of in between - it will change focus to be about storytelling vs history of communication. Here is the official wording from Disney:

The iconic Spaceship Earth will remain a voyage through time as the journey transforms to reflect the power of storytelling to unite the human experience. New narration and an entirely new musical score will focus on the moments and ideas that define our story. You will follow a magical “story light” that brings the entire experience to life in dynamic ways, giving each scene energy and beauty that ties the entire journey together.
Well Disney, that was as clear as mud. It reminds me of one of our favorite movies "Best Little House of Illegal Activities in Texas", I wasn't sure if I could or should use the real word there. Anyway, there is a song by the Governor in which he loves to do a little side step, and no one understands a word he says. Without MaxRebo's translation I still wouldn't have an answer.

one thought to throw out there - there has been a lot of chatter/rumors going around that the impact of Shanghai and Hong Kong being closed will be felt at the Stateside resorts - with cutting staffing and closing things early and backing off on construction that hasn't started yet

I wonder if this could impact the timeline for Spaceship Earth
I think a lot of things could be delayed if Disney can’t get the China parks back open again soon, but SSE isn’t in particularly good shape, and it’s iconic. I’m betting they’d scuttle or delay other projects first.

I imagine it will work like when they pulled construction crews off of other projects to work on SWGE: they started with resort refurbs and delayed projects that were already showing signs of problems (MMRR).

Anything they can capitalize though is nowhere near as likely to get cut as an expense. So a new ride or a major overhaul is less likely to be delayed because it barely impacts this fiscal year for Disney, most of the costs are borrowed from future years. But a show or a custodian or painting a wall or running a fountain or using flowers in a planter instead of ground cover, that’s something that counts this year and they can cut.

Well Disney, that was as clear as mud. It reminds me of one of our favorite movies "Best Little House of Illegal Activities in Texas", I wasn't sure if I could or should use the real word there. Anyway, there is a song by the Governor in which he loves to do a little side step, and no one understands a word he says. Without MaxRebo's translation I still wouldn't have an answer.

I know from other rumors it was talking about some updated adjustment to the older scenes and then redoing the modern/future type ones. At one point it was rumored to redo the ride system but last I heard that was not going to happen due to cost savings (just refresh)

Personally I think what is described has potential to retain the "spirit" of the original but utilize some new technology and give it a more timeless take. But it could also ruin what was a signature attraction. Guess I am cautiously optimistic

I rode it earlier in the month and it was fine. Maybe they will postpone it longer and I can see it again in September. It’s one of my favorites.

Still my daughter's favorite and a must-ride attraction every visit. We can't wait to see it refurbed. We rode it twice during our November stay and found nothing wrong with it. Matter of fact we were pretty psyched because for the first time, the photo captured both my daughter and I perfectly for our animation. Usually it was always just slightly off when watching the final cartoon. This time we were perfectly framed.

I think the correlation between SE closing and Rat opening is probably true. SE is a large fast loading ride and to have that off line would be a hardship. But if rat was open that would suck in a lot of people.

I think the correlation between SE closing and Rat opening is probably true. SE is a large fast loading ride and to have that off line would be a hardship. But if rat was open that would suck in a lot of people.
I kind of hope SSE is open in early June when I am there. I want to ride it. But I am also kind of resigned to the fact that t probably won't be. We shall see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!