spaghetti strap dresses

Padre Disney

<font color=009999>No longer the Tagless Lurker!
Are spaghetti strap dresses okay for formal night?
Our oldest daughter has a formal gown with spaghetti straps she wanted to wear on formal night. I thought I remembered reading that you could not wear strapless or spaghetti straps to the formal or semi formal night.

Also
Mexicali night? Our 2 younger daughters want to wear new white canvas slip on tennis shoes. They each have tropical looking capris and thought the slip ons looked great. Would those be okay for that casual night?

Not sure where you heard that, but you can absolutely where strapless or speghetti straps to the formal/semi-formal. Any prom gown would be perfect for formal night!

I wore an off the shoulder lace top with chiffon skirt on semi-formal night. The one thing I'd suggest is bringing along a wrap, the dining rooms can be chilly.

For Mexicali night pretty much anything goes (short of bathing suits and dirty wife beaters!). It's the one night that shorts are part of the suggested attire in the dining room.

Anne

I don't remember reading that..I am almost 99% positive that is fine. Perhaps the strapless/spag strap thing is in regard to casual tank tops? They do not allow jeans, shorts etc in the dining rooms, that I know for sure....but I know for a fact that formal night is all about strappy sandals, and strapless little dresses!

We were more careful in our dress last year as we were new but Dd was made a great many observation about dress on formal night and started plotting immediately about what she would wear this year. She is taking a red strapless formal. She wore it to her school Christmas dance, even though it is a conservative all girls catholic school the dress code allowed strapless and spegitti strapes as long as it was not low in the front or back. With the dresses that are on the market it is pretty hard to find a dress with more on the shoulders even for Bridesmaids. I am not wearing a strapless or spegetti straps but she says thats because mothers look silly trying to dress like young girls. Every one knows with childbirth we all become old ladies or is it with thier 12th birthday we age so much?

glad to here that the dress will be fine.
I thought I had read that info about a year ago. They might have been talking about something else.
I remember from our last cruise that some times you can get a little chilled.
Guess we will look for a wrap for those cool times.
thanx

Padre Disney, I am trying to figure out how to get mine and DD's formal on board with out to much damage. I see you have three girls two of which are teen, plus your dress and Jackets for DH and teen DS--WHat is your plan?

We have 2 garment bags and hope that by splitting the formal clothes up that maybe the dresses will make it. With six people in our family we have lots of luggage. Each of us girls have 2 dresses each. Since we are driving we will be able to keep the grament bags straight. We will only have to fold them for the short time. We also bring wrinkle releaser that seems to help.

I'm sure we are going to be those people you read about that have way over packed. We hardly ever dress up and can't wait to dress up on the cruise.

If anyone has any ideas on how to pack formals please let us know.

I have a packing tip, and then another tip.

Packing...the long dresses first...put a plastic cleaning bag over a hanger. Tape another to the bottom so that you have plastic the length of the dress hanging on the hanger. Then put the dress on the hanger over the plastic. Now pull another bag down over the top of the dress, and pull a bag over the bottom and secure the two bags together. Do the same with suits and dress shirts. They all get packed into a garment bag, and are the last to go in and first to come out.

If they didn't "survive", send them to be pressed on board. Pressing is half the cost of cleaning, and very affordable onboard. ($1.50 to press a man's dress shirt)

Anne

Originally posted by Padre Disney
Are spaghetti strap dresses okay for formal night?
Our oldest daughter has a formal gown with spaghetti straps she wanted to wear on formal night. I thought I remembered reading that you could not wear strapless or spaghetti straps to the formal or semi formal night....

Possibly you read this in your daughter's school news -- a lot of schools are discouraging spaghetti straps, strapless tops and bare midriffs. The dress sounds perfect for formal night!

Hi Bev, the dresses will be fine. The tropical night (mexicali night) choices sound good too. Something I learned by accident, dry cleaning bags really do prevent wrinkles! I had a dress cleaned and just packed it in the suitcase on the hanger in the bag. When we unpacked I couldn't believe my eyes, no wrinkles! This is a linen dress which should of wrinkled.

I am going to try out the trick I read from the board, leave shirts on hangers but I am also going to wrap the dry cleaner bag around them. My mother always rolls her clothes but mine always wrinkle so I am not a roller.

Another tip, pack the wire hangers from the cleaners or buy cheap coated wire hangers from Target, Kmart or Walmart. We always run out if we depend on what the ship supplies. When the cruise is over I leave the hangers behind. We also roll up the dirty clothes and end up with more space in the suitcases for items we bought during the cruise.

Lets see, 24 more days until we leave!!! Kathy

Oh, it is DEFINITELY the 12th birthday that turns us into "old ladies". And there are days when I feel as old as she acts like I am. We are rapidly approaching her 13th and it isn't getting any better. We cruise in June and she was already gown shopping at the mall last weekend. She didn't have a pair of jeans to wear to school that fit properly (the reason we were there!) but she wants to shop for gowns (note the plural - she is convinced she needs TWO!) And this is the girl I normally can't get OUT of jeans, riding boots, and a ponytail!

Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter