"Special" drinks included in meals on DDP?

luvallprincesses

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know where to locate a list that details the restaurants - either TS or CS - where "special drinks" are included? I remember there are some places where things such as Smoothies, Milkshakes, etc. are included but can't remember where - and some other places where they were not included! (Of course, Hoop Dee Doo and dinner shows also include some alcoholic beverages, but I am more interested in non-alcoholic drinks for the kids.) I know we can ask when we sit down, but sometimes that is easy to forget to do with distracting kids, so it would be nice to know ahead of time where we can get these perks of the DP (since more and more of the perks keep disappearing!)

Alot of the sit down places where smoothies or milkshakes are included are the Disney owned resturants. Le Cellier, Coral Reef, Flying Fish Cafe, Narcoossee, Grand Floridian Cafe, '50s Prime Time Cafe, Sci-Fi Dine In, California Grill etc.

The general rule of thumb is this. Drinks for those using adult TS credits can include any non-alcoholic drink that does not have a souvenir; just look at the menu to see what there is. Drinks for those using child TS credits can include milk, juice and any drink from a soda fountain (includes lemonaide). The drinks like milkshakes, etc are sometimes available as the dessert option when using a child TS credit. For CS meals, milk shakes are only available as a dessert option and only on an adult meal.

Does anyone know where to locate a list that details the restaurants - either TS or CS - where "special drinks" are included? I remember there are some places where things such as Smoothies, Milkshakes, etc. are included but can't remember where - and some other places where they were not included!

There is no list because it is not a set policy and is at the discretion of the restaurant and the servers. At some of the Disney operated restaurants people have been able to get milkshakes, smoothies, virgin cocktails and specialty coffees, but you have to ask. I know you said you might forget to ask, but hopefully if you see something on the menu that you want, you will remember. The dining plans do specifically exclude the drinks with souvenir cubes or light up characters. The non-Disney owned restaurants are far less likely to allow anything beyond the usual fountain sodas, coffee, or tea because they're reimbursed by Disney according to the limitations of the dining plan.

The server at Via Napoli was the only one that refused to give us anything but the basics. The best alternate we had was the mexican soda at the QS in Epcot Mexico. Yum!

Thanks to everyone for the posts!

The general rule of thumb is this. Drinks for those using adult TS credits can include any non-alcoholic drink that does not have a souvenir; just look at the menu to see what there is. Drinks for those using child TS credits can include milk, juice and any drink from a soda fountain (includes lemonaide). The drinks like milkshakes, etc are sometimes available as the dessert option when using a child TS credit. For CS meals, milk shakes are only available as a dessert option and only on an adult meal.

So that means now just checking out the menus to see where smoothies, etc. are served!

Does anyone have any recent experience with any great drinks that they got using the DDP?

Thanks to everyone for the posts!

So that means now just checking out the menus to see where smoothies, etc. are served!

Does anyone have any recent experience with any great drinks that they got using the DDP?

I am not sure if that is correct, for example Tutto Italia has speciality drinks and is not included on the dining plan, Teppan Edo also have the speciality drinks and you are not allowed these drinks on the dining plan. Most of these drinks are usually included at disney owned resturants.

We went this past March and Le Cellier had great smoothies, alot of the resturants will allow you like a virgin pina colada, or strawberry daiquiri, the best one was at Flying Fish.

Le Celliers seemed to one of the few places that provided them for kids. Yachtmans included my virgin pina colada on the dxdp but waitress did not know it until the bill was wrong and warned me it might not be included.

Prime time only let me and DH get milk shakes so I ordered one for the kids and drank their soda.

yes, sorry to say unless the kids are "Disney adults" and ordering off the adult menu you'll find the kiddos are only allowed the kids meal drinks (milk, juice, etc.) NOT the shakes and smoothies. You can of course order the alternate drinks & pay cash for them for your kids if you'd like.

As for adults being allowed shakes & smoothies...we found that every Disney-owned restaurants allowed adults to get one shake or smoothie as the dining plan beverage (no refills on those specialty drinks) Places we were allowed to get shakes & smoothies: The Wave, The Turf Club, Le Cellier, Coral Reef, Grand Floridian Cafe, Kona Cafe, Sci Fi Dine-in, Mama Melrose. Some of those places allowed "virgin" frozen drinks off the drinks menu (like a pina colada without the rum) as the dining plan beverage. Most places had the usual milk-shake flavors (chocolate, vanilla, strawberry) Some places had fruit smoothies like berry smoothies.

The non-Disney-owned restaurants did not allow any alternate beverages, just soda fountain drinks (coke products), plain tea or plain coffee. No bottled water, no bottled imported sodas, no specialty coffee like cappacino, no flavored teas allowed. This list of non-Disney owned restaurants would include Via Napoli, Tutto Italia, the Mexican table service restaurants in Epcot, Teppan Edo, Les Chefs de France, Yak & Yeti, Maya Grill, Wolfgang Puck Cafe. There are others...those are just the ones we have direct experience with

yes, sorry to say unless the kids are "Disney adults" and ordering off the adult menu you'll find the kiddos are only allowed the kids meal drinks (milk, juice, etc.) NOT the shakes and smoothies. You can of course order the alternate drinks & pay cash for them for your kids if you'd like.

As for adults being allowed shakes & smoothies...we found that every Disney-owned restaurants allowed adults to get one shake or smoothie as the dining plan beverage (no refills on those specialty drinks) Places we were allowed to get shakes & smoothies: The Wave, The Turf Club, Le Cellier, Coral Reef, Grand Floridian Cafe, Kona Cafe, Sci Fi Dine-in, Mama Melrose. Some of those places allowed "virgin" frozen drinks off the drinks menu (like a pina colada without the rum) as the dining plan beverage. Most places had the usual milk-shake flavors (chocolate, vanilla, strawberry) Some places had fruit smoothies like berry smoothies.

The non-Disney-owned restaurants did not allow any alternate beverages, just soda fountain drinks (coke products), plain tea or plain coffee. No bottled water, no bottled imported sodas, no specialty coffee like cappacino, no flavored teas allowed. This list of non-Disney owned restaurants would include Via Napoli, Tutto Italia, the Mexican table service restaurants in Epcot, Teppan Edo, Les Chefs de France, Yak & Yeti, Maya Grill, Wolfgang Puck Cafe. There are others...those are just the ones we have direct experience with

Whispering Canyon Cafe allowed refills on their shakes, and Wolfgang Puck Express allowed bottled water as an option. So that's not exactly correct either.

I should have been more specific in my response. I should have specified that this is true of WDW owned resaurants. The restaurants now owned by WDW will vary in their policies and more often than not you'll be limitted to fountain drinks, coffee, tea, milk or juice.

If a restaurant has a refillable drink then it'll be refillable whether it's ordered using the DDP or paying OOP. The WCC milkshake is a great example of this.

We went to Narcossis in June and my neices each were able to order Smoothies with their dinners even thou they were children... I think they be more flexable in the Signature resturants.

50's Prime Time is a favorite of DH and DS14 because of their PBJ milkshake. They get this as their drink and sometimes as their dessert also. I tried it in July and think it is very good as well.

I agree that it depends on your server. There have been times where we have been offered a drink and times where we have asked and been told no. I've had special drinks at Sci Fi and Coral Reef and other times been told no. If you're allowed, just feel like you got pixie dust, but don't count on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter