Special experience options for 16 YO w/cerebral palsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizjunkieee

Mouseketeer
Hello all,
I am trying to help a friend who will be taking her daughter to WDW to celebrate her Sweet 16. The daughter has cerebral palsy and is confined to a wheel chair & has many other special needs. I wonder if any of you lovely folks here on the DIS Abilities boards have any experience with something like this and can offer things that would be good to do as something extra special for her to make a really "magical moment".
TIA for any thoughts/experiences you have to share.

-Kelly

What a wonderful way to celebrate! Make sure you schedule some time for character meet & greets, if she enjoys those :) The characters are fantastic with ALL kids, and seem to be especially in tune with kids and teens with special needs.

Most of all, make sure every cast member you interact with knows that you're celebrating a birthday! Wear that birthday button and watch the "magical moments" crop up everywhere.

Have a wonderful trip, and Happy Sweet 16 to your daughter!

What a wonderful way to celebrate! Make sure you schedule some time for character meet & greets, if she enjoys those :) The characters are fantastic with ALL kids, and seem to be especially in tune with kids and teens with special needs.

Most of all, make sure every cast member you interact with knows that you're celebrating a birthday! Wear that birthday button and watch the "magical moments" crop up everywhere.

Have a wonderful trip, and Happy Sweet 16 to your daughter!

All fantastic thoughts and ideas. Thank you so much!!!! :)

Does she have any specific interests? E.g., elephants? Dolphins? Fireworks? There are many tours that might be nice.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/

Also is she eligible for Make A Wish? CP on its own isn't but sometimes there are other complications that make a person eligible.
Thanks - I will take a look at those offerings. I am unsure if she is eligible for Make a Wish, but will mention that to her Mom. Thanks again!

Hello all,
I am trying to help a friend who will be taking her daughter to WDW to celebrate her Sweet 16. The daughter has cerebral palsy and is confined to a wheel chair & has many other special needs. I wonder if any of you lovely folks here on the DIS Abilities boards have any experience with something like this and can offer things that would be good to do as something extra special for her to make a really "magical moment".
TIA for any thoughts/experiences you have to share.

-Kelly

Our daughter has different issues, but is still mobility limited, and has celebrated so many milestones at WDW; I'm sure that Sweet 16 will be "extra sweet" just from being at Disney World! :)

We often buy custom "ears" from some of the vendors on Etsy - a special pair of Sweet 16 ears would be a great gift for the birthday girl! And, a custom T-shirt - maybe with her favorite Disney character, movie, or ride incorporated - would be fun too. You can get those many places before the trip, or you can get custom shirts made at Disney Springs (but it's kind of spendy!)

Remember that you can decorate your room - so encourage Mom to bring along some fun birthday decorations so that when her Birthday Girl wakes up on her special day, the room will be festive! For one of my daughter's birthdays, I purchased a princess birthday song on iTunes, and now we play that silly thing any time anyone in our family celebrates at the Parks LOL

Mom can order a birthday cake (if there is enough time) and have it delivered to a table service meal at the Parks or Resort. Disney cakes are both beautiful *and* yummy, and we have had our fair share of those delivered too!

A fireworks dessert party might be a great option for that evening; there's one at every Park to pick from (Rivers of Light at AK) and it's like the best party ever - great desserts, with a fireworks show after! Tiana's Riverboat party in the afternoon at MK is a great way to spend a special afternoon!

Really and truly, just let the birthday girl set the agenda - if what she wants to do that day is just ride the carousel over and over... then that's an amazing way to spend the day at WDW! Focus on making the happiest, best memories, and not trying to do everything there is at WDW.

You are so sweet to help her Mom - just remember that being in a wheelchair in an of itself isn't that big of a deal at WDW; there's very little she won't be able to do, and a whole world of fun and magic will be hers on her birthday! :)

Happy Birthday Princess! :)

What kinds of things does she like?
Is she able to transfer out or be lifted out of the wheelchair?

Even if she's not, there are many attractions where she can stay right in the wheelchair.
Some where you do need to transfer are easy transfers - such as Soarin'. My youngest daughter has CP and many other issues. She loves Soarin' because it is something that is kind of exciting that she could never be able to do in the real world.

If you look in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, you can find information about which rides have wheelchair cars and which require transfers.

If she likes shopping, there are some pretty unique shops in World Showcase at Epcot.

Ooooh and to tag on to what @SueM in MN said above - if she loves shopping, Disney Springs will be her favorite new place! (Although I could shop my way around World Showcase every day for the rest of my life and be happy LOL)

hi I have hemiplegia on the right side with exceptionally well mobility with going to Disney I would recommend that she goes to all the teen stores in disney springs. I have bought some t-shirts that I still wear.

I’m going to close this thread since it is over a year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter