Spider-Man MCU split. Impact on Marvel Land?

AlienBrain

Disney Fan Since '84
News just came out that Spider-Man will not be included in future MCU films. The timing of this right before D23 is crazy. The centerpiece of the upcoming Marvel Land was Spider-Man and W.E.B. I’m curious how this will impact those plans.

Sony got caught with its hand in Disney's cookie jar on this one. The largest multi-media conglomerate in the world is not going to bend the knee to Sony that easily. I don't think the park will be affected, as this is about Venom 2, Into the Spider-Verse 2, and two additional Spiderman films with Tom Holland. Heck, most Marvel heroes still can't cross the Mississippi River :rotfl2:

Disney still has all Spider Man merch rights, so they probably have the theme park rights west of Mississippi, so I don’t think it will affect the park much, if at all.

Sony got caught with its hand in Disney's cookie jar on this one. The largest multi-media conglomerate in the world is not going to bend the knee to Sony that easily. I don't think the park will be affected, as this is about Venom 2, Into the Spider-Verse 2, and two additional Spiderman films with Tom Holland. Heck, most Marvel heroes still can't cross the Mississippi River :rotfl2:

Into the Spider-Verse 2 is/was not part of the Marvel/Sony deal. Only live-action films were part of the deal.

But yes, this is about the "success" of Venom and Sony wanting to put Spidey into their universe of Venom 2 and Morbius (which I was offered to work on but had to turn down due to scheduling conflicts...but my friends working on it say it's....interesting...)

Last edited:
If they dont reach an agreement then Sony will get free advertisement at the parks, which wont sit well with Disney.

I imagine they will end up with some agreement in the end, from what I’ve read this was the first line of negotiations. It’s just being reported as the end-all.

If not, Sony is completely shooting itself in the foot.

Completely agree... actually just came to the boards looking for this discussion. I think these discussions are far from over and there will be an agreement eventually. The announcement was made just to see which party blinks first. Sony needs this deal more than Disney in my opinion.

Completely agree... actually just came to the boards looking for this discussion. I think these discussions are far from over and there will be an agreement eventually. The announcement was made just to see which party blinks first. Sony needs this deal more than Disney in my opinion.
Sony is trying to negotiate with Disney, but Disney is trying to go from 5% to 50%. It doesn't make business sense for Sony to accept that deal.

Sony is still willing to negotiate, but Disney doesn't want to come down to something both parties are willing to accept.

Per the updated Deadline article:

I agree that Sony and Disney will come to an agreement in the end because it MUST happen for Disney.

Yes, Disney has the rights to the merch and theme parks, but Disney's latest theme park developments follow the model of using the attraction to develop interest in the media and vice versa. I wouldn't assume that it's free advertisement for Disney because Sony could invest heavily in the non-Disney storyline (e.g. Spider-Verse).

On a side note, I think the confusing part about "Not" Marvel Land is that Disney decided to go deep down the Spiderman route with W.E.B. Why choose a character with rights owned by another enterprise - Sony? Why not go with Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, Captain America, etc.? Universal has already created an amazing Spider-Man attraction, so why make a new one? Now there are two possible outcomes: 1) It's worse than an old Universal attraction, or 2) It's equal or better than an old Universal Attraction.

Now that Disney owns Fox, they could have gone with X-Men, the most popular of the Marvel franchises. I realize Disney hasn't redone the X-Men movies yet, but they could have used the theme park to develop a thirst for X-Men movies; and once the new X-Men films come out, it will likely top what Disney was able to do with Avengers.

I just hope that they decide to put more music/entertainment in Marvel Land than they did in SWGE. At least have more music/entertainment than the town in footloose :P

News just came out that Spider-Man will not be included in future MCU films. The timing of this right before D23 is crazy. The centerpiece of the upcoming Marvel Land was Spider-Man and W.E.B. I’m curious how this will impact those plans.

Won't impact it one bit, Disney still has the IP rights of Spider-Man. They just don't have the film rights.

By the way if you following social media/youtube, Sony is absolutely getting it. Plus it didn't help when they released another statement last night. Sony didn't read athe room tempature for sure.

Disney still has all Spider Man merch rights, so they probably have the theme park rights west of Mississippi, so I don’t think it will affect the park much, if at all.

The question though is would DIsney want to promote the movies if they don't get a benefit. One could argue that they could have used any characters from Marvel, but they had shied away from using X-Men etc. in the parks as they decided to stick strictly with the MCU versions of the characters. I have no doubt they retain the rights to use int he parks, but will it change their mind?

Also, I do think a deal will eventually be struck - based on public opinion alone this would be horrible for Sony and everyone involved really. They may have been "testing the water" so to speak. The water turned out to be mighty cold...and full of piranhas!

I agree that Sony and Disney will come to an agreement in the end because it MUST happen for Disney.

Yes, Disney has the rights to the merch and theme parks, but Disney's latest theme park developments follow the model of using the attraction to develop interest in the media and vice versa. I wouldn't assume that it's free advertisement for Disney because Sony could invest heavily in the non-Disney storyline (e.g. Spider-Verse).

On a side note, I think the confusing part about "Not" Marvel Land is that Disney decided to go deep down the Spiderman route with W.E.B. Why choose a character with rights owned by another enterprise - Sony? Why not go with Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Scarlet Witch, Captain America, etc.? Universal has already created an amazing Spider-Man attraction, so why make a new one? Now there are two possible outcomes: 1) It's worse than an old Universal attraction, or 2) It's equal or better than an old Universal Attraction.

Now that Disney owns Fox, they could have gone with X-Men, the most popular of the Marvel franchises. I realize Disney hasn't redone the X-Men movies yet, but they could have used the theme park to develop a thirst for X-Men movies; and once the new X-Men films come out, it will likely top what Disney was able to do with Avengers.

I just hope that they decide to put more music/entertainment in Marvel Land than they did in SWGE. At least have more music/entertainment than the town in footloose :P

To be fair, Spider-Man really is the most popular Marvel character. The X-Men haven't really been the most popular since the 90's. I would have thought thought that an "Avengers" attraction would have been the way to go as it would be all-encompassing really.

I agree with XMen, or, better yet, scrap pixar pier and turn it into Wonder Wharf and have Bob's Burger land!

In what universe is X-Men the most popular of the Marvel franchises?

Oh, there was a time, but not lately. Back when Jim Lee was on the comic and they used those designs for the very popular animated series, X-Men was on top of the world. X-Men comics have been terrible since about 1996 though and while the movies were popular early on, compared to Avengers and the MCU, they have been completely eclipsed.

Have you seen the videos from Disney's stuntronics robots last year? My DD took one look at that last year and said--- They are making a Spiderman! The technology is incredible. I have no idea whether they could find a way to utilize it for a repeated use all day ride or show, but if that was where they were heading, it would be amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter