Spiderman Ride Patent

Just a word of caution, just because Disney has patented something doesn't mean there are current plans to use it.

It could only be Disneyland...hypothetically speaking...the more they slide down this marvel path, the more they need to just cut the universal deal.

Take your medicine.

Just a word of caution, just because Disney has patented something doesn't mean there are current plans to use it.

Right but they actually mention Spider-Man/Tarzan and they included a track path so I would put a little more weight on this one.

Right but they actually mention Spider-Man/Tarzan and they included a track path so I would put a little more weight on this one.

These could both have just been for illustrative purposes. I remember a while back a very detailed permit of Star Wars themed battling coaster which turned out to be from a third part ride developer that didn't even have rights to Star Wars.

It could only be Disneyland...hypothetically speaking...the more they slide down this marvel path, the more they need to just cut the universal deal.

Take your medicine.
Why would Universal cooperate though? There has to be something in it for them and I don't think that money is the answer.

All contracts can be broken...you just have to get the checkbook out

Or modified / addendum added. Just not sure if Universal would totally turn over all the rights to the point they would have to retheme the Hulk (which they just redid) or Spiderman... but ma Be Disney gives them enough money that they agree that's disney can use he Avengers in WDW as well

Or modified / addendum added. Just not sure if Universal would totally turn over all the rights to the point they would have to retheme the Hulk (which they just redid) or Spiderman... but ma Be Disney gives them enough money that they agree that's disney can use he Avengers in WDW as well

Exactly...it would involve free money to Comcast...which they could use to bolster their parks...

I was 100% fine with the contract as is...Until iger couldn't lay off the pipe and they're now putting a B franchise in Epcot!!!

And then what? The flaming lizard roller coaster?

It's just tacky...it isn't disney.

I don't see how you can have an effective land without spiderman and captain America.

Just an interesting observation the track layout is the same as the patent for Shanghai’s pirates. So needless to say if it gets built it will be extremely different

Exactly...it would involve free money to Comcast...which they could use to bolster their parks...

I was 100% fine with the contract as is...Until iger couldn't lay off the pipe and they're now putting a B franchise in Epcot!!!

And then what? The flaming lizard roller coaster?

It's just tacky...it isn't disney.

I don't see how you can have an effective land without spiderman and captain America.
I’m a believer that they need to expand if they wanna do anything marvel in the studios. It’s small as is with limited offerings due to the geography of the park, but I know space has always been an issue with expansion there

Couldn't agree more - especially since the articles got some important things wrong. A few thoughts:

1) Disney didn't get a patent. This is a published patent application. The application may never become a patent - and even if it does it could take years. The application is still under examination.

2) The application was published last week - but it was filed over a year and a half ago (April 2016). Doesn't appear this was a provisional application, so Disney presumably had this reduced to practice before then (likely a prototype). Given the complexity, they may have been working on this for years before filing. This is new to us - but not to Disney.

3) Agree completely that not all patented inventions see the light of day. Maybe Disney wants to develop it. Maybe they want to license it. Maybe they want to prevent someone else from using something like it (*cough*Universal*cough). Maybe they're working on related designs and needed to get this variation on file.

4) All the information in the specification and description, the drawings, the ride layout - it's all illustrative and secondary of how the invention might work. The only part that really matters are the claims. And since the application is still under examination, all of those things could still change before a patent issues (if one issues).

The TL;DR version: don't make more of this than what it is - which is that Disney is spending years to develop ride technology which it might use one day. That shouldn't be surprising.

The fact that Tarzan is also mentioned does make me believe that this could be an addition to DLR and WDW by theming them differently. Spider-Man is fine in Disneyland and I doubt WDW fans will argue against a Tarzan ride

While this ride system could be used ideally for Spiderman ride...it doesn't have to be. It can be used for whatever IP Disney feels appropriate. This could easily be brought to WDW under another theme/IP.

While this ride system could be used ideally for Spiderman ride...it doesn't have to be. It can be used for whatever IP Disney feels appropriate. This could easily be brought to WDW under another theme/IP.

Robert Niles at Theme Park Insider brought up that maybe this is the Guardians ride system. He says that he was told the new ride system will be a grown up version of the 7DMT swaying. Would also explain the need for the building to be 11 stories talk.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201710/5759/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter