Spinoff - Food Quirks

Does ice count as food? LOL Cause I won't touch it, AT ALL! If there is an ice dispenser, I'll use it, but if not, I'll have a hot drink lol I know this one is weird.
Also don't eat onions(raw or cooked), or mushrooms, or fruit in salad.
Dont't eat cooked peppers, but love them raw- same with celery.
Avocado is just ewwww also

I don't like to crunch something in a soft food - therefore I hate when onions, celery, water chestnuts, etc are added to things that are normally fairly soft foods. For example, my mom insists on putting onions in cheesy potato casserole - I love potato casserole, but just can't eat hers because I don't want my casserole to crunch.

I don't like nuts in cake or brownies for the same reason. Especially walnuts in a brownie...fastest way to ruin it.

I don't like nuts in cake or brownies for the same reason. Especially walnuts in a brownie...fastest way to ruin it.
Definitely agree. Hated hearing, "those are for *** because they don't have nuts." Wait, I'm not allergic, but I also think that nuts in baked goods ruin the baked goods, I can't eat one without nuts?

I am often said to be a picky eater, but I am really open to most things even with a few strong food aversions...

Mushrooms - my Mom is allergic so they were never served. Major slimy textural aversion for me.
Coconuts - just yuck. If I accidentally have one go into my mouth, it comes back out. I can't swallow it if I try.
Avocado - also just slimy to me
Fish/seafood - I just don't like it.
Pulp in Orange Juice - Pulp free is fine. With pulp, I gag on it badly!
Runny eggs - My mom used to make scrambled eggs that were kind of runny and they were gross. My Dad also commented on that one and she finally started cooking them longer to ensure no more runnyness!

I also looked my food fully cooked. My Mom will insist something is done (see runny eggs above) that is just not cooked enough for me and back in the pot or oven it goes! My stomach needs foods fully cooked!

There are a lot of foods I haven’t tried because I was never exposed to them. In my old age I’m trying to be more open about foods but still tend to stick to food I know.

Can’t do eggplant. Makes me gag. I tried to eat lasagna not knowing it was in there and couldn’t figure out why I had such a hard to with it. Finally figured it out when my mom mentioned the eggplant and mushrooms in it.

Eggs - no how, no way. It all started when I was a kid with a hard boiled egg. Now as the years have passed I can eat 'some' quiche but no scrambled, fried - forget it! I can and do eat eggs 'in' dishes but not if it's in huge pieces. Going out for breakfast can be tricky! Egg with everything! :guilty:
Tomato juice - as fun and interesting as bloody mary bars are, I just can't get past the texture of tomato juice (but I like tomatos!)
Well done meat - my parents would grill everything - to death. I can't stand a hockey puck steak.

Mine are definitely texture related: I don't like mushy, sticky food -- like mashed potatoes, oatmeal, or creamy peanut butter, and many casserole type foods. I can do pudding, but only if it's very cold -- if it's room temperature, it makes me gag. Chocolate pie with a pudding filling is a family tradition and everyone loves it, except me.

I don't think I'm a particularly picky eater, but I'm not very adventurous when ordering at restaurants. I think it stems from when i was a kid, going out to dinner was a pretty big deal... and we could order what we wanted but we'd better eat what we ordered. So there was a lot of pressure to choose something that I knew I'd like. Even today, I tend to stick with what I know I'll like rather than "waste" the meal by ordering something I don't like. (I don't know why that is... because there's not *that* much stuff that I don't like/won't eat. Chances are good that even if I didn't love whatever-it-is, I could eat it for one meal.)

Last edited:

My number one item that I will NOT eat is mayonnaise. I just can’t. And I don‘t like anything that has mayonnaise in it - even if it’s cooked into a casserole.

If a recipe calls for mayonnaise, I‘ll use plain Greek yogurt instead. And, if I’m at a restaurant or someone’s house & an item has mayonnaise in it, I just won’t order or eat it.

I also don’t like ranch dressing or sour cream, although I will eat sour cream if it’s cooked into something like a hashbrown casserole.

Other things I don’t prefer:

Mushrooms - I don’t mind the taste, so a mushroom sauce is fine, but I don’t like the texture of whole or pieces of mushrooms.

Green Peas & Lima Beans - if they’re cooked into a soup or something like fried rice, it’s fine, but I will not eat just green peas & I’ve never fixed them for my family.

Raw Onions - I’ll eat cooked onions

Liver & other organ meat

Oysters

Beets

Capers

Olives

Dill Pickles - any other kind of pickles is great, but I can’t stand dill!

Tomato Juice - I like tomatoes, raw or cooked, but I don’t like drinking tomato juice so no Bloody Marys for me!

Fried, Poached, or Sunny-Side Up Eggs - although I’m trying!

Raw Fish - my favorite sushi is tempura shrimp w/ cream cheese!

And there are items I would not choose to order but will eat if the situation presents itself - sausage, pepperoni, cauliflower, cooked broccoli...

But, mayonnaise aside, I do like to try things. And if I’m at a nice restaurant w/ a really great chef, I never ask for substitutions or anything like that because I figure a really good chef knows how he/she wants something to taste & I’ll try it how it is intended to be since, in my mind, it’s a little bit like an offense to the chef if I ask him/her to make alterations to the dish.

Last edited:
I will eat just about anything....but

I like my bananas when the peel is still at least partially green and now brown...I hate the smell and taste of ripe bananas.

I am also not a big beef eater...I will eat a good hamburger or a good steak...there are only a few local places I will go for a burger and I like them "fancy" (The last one I had had brie cheese, bacon, and fig jam)...lol.

And I can't stand jello with fruits chunks...

I used to only drink clear liquids (no soda, no juice, etc.)...this still pretty much stands except for alcohol and occasionally orange juice...I always get water with my meals.

I think that is about it...I will pretty much try anything once.

I've never really understood why DS loves ketchup, but hates chunky pasta sauce and raw tomatoes. - But judging from this thread, he's got lots of company!

Things I actually can't eat:
Scallops - used to love them but apparently developed an allergy after my pregnancy with DS. (To this day, i don't think he's never tried them, because of the connection. He figures, why chance it?)

Things mentioned above that I agree I have no desire to try:
Liver/organ meats (though I likely tried Liverwurst as a child. - I know my dad used to buy it.)
Oysters
Chicken feet
Sushi (though it's just the raw fish I'm opposed to. - I really should try some other kind, but just have no idea what I'm ordering.)

Things I've had and just don't like:
Greek yogurt (I don't mind it in things, but I hate even the smell of it by itself.)
Venison (I've eaten it to be polite to a host, but...Bambi :(*.)
Pineapple on Pizza
Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
Most gravy

* I know it's weird to be OK with eating some animals and not others, but I never claimed to be normal. (I also wouldn't want to try rabbit or squirrel or any other things I thought of as "cute and cuddly" before I knew anyone ate them.)

I've never really understood why DS loves ketchup, but hates chunky pasta sauce and raw tomatoes. - But judging from this thread, he's got lots of company!

I am intrigued by all those that hate tomatoes. I love raw tomatoes and spaghetti sauce. Not a huge fan of cooked tomatoes though. And I forgot on my list above --- one of the things I hate more than anything. Ketchup! Yuck yuck yuck!!! The smell, the taste, everything grosses me out with ketchup. I get so annoyed when I go to a restaurant and order a burger or something with fries and they automatically bring me a side of ketchup with it. If I had wanted it, I would have asked for it, thank you very much! Just seems wasteful when that happens. And gosh, if it ever got on my food, the whole thing would have to go back as I would not be eating my now ketchup contaminated food.

Black Olives!! I cannot stand them. I can tolerate anything on a pizza but olives.
Mustard on burgers or sandwiches. Nope, not eating it.
Canned asparagus. i grew up thinking I hated asparagus. It was slimy and disgusting. It was not until I was an adult and had it fresh and roasted that I realized what a travesty it was that people served it canned and mushy. Lol.

A fresh cut tomato grosses me out. Part texture, part acidity maybe. But I love all things tomato when cooked. There are ple of things I don’t care for but will eat. Tomato slices however 🤢

I don’t eat pepperoni on standard pizza. I’ll eat it if it’s stuffed in something, like a pizza roll, but if I can pick it off I will. I’m not sure what it is- I keep thinking I had some traumatic experience with pepperoni pizza as a child.

I also don’t eat cantaloupe. Apparently this is weird because I do eat honeydew.

I don’t think this is abnormal, but I very much dislike tomato aspic. I had never had it until over the summer. I like tomatoes, so it’s not that. Tomato aspic is just gross.

I sat at my parents' kitchen table on night until 9:30 p.m. from dinner time because my mother served cabbage soup. Everyone else liked it, but I couldn't eat something that smelled like a fart when it was cooking. Blech. That only happened once. My Mom let me eat cereal for dinner after that when she'd make it.
My mom didn't work that way. Once, when I was young, we had tomato soup for lunch. I refused to eat it. My dad had come home from work for lunch, and I knew we had to leave to get him back to work. My mom put the soup in the fridge, drove dad back to work, and when we got back home, sat me down at the table with the cold soup in front of me. And there I sat until dinner time. I never did eat it, but I learned that, if tomato soup was being served for meals, that was my only choice - no substitutions.
I like nuts, but, like you, don't like them IN things. No nuts in my banana bread, brownies, or on sundaes. Only exception - Waldorf Salad.

Canned asparagus. i grew up thinking I hated asparagus. It was slimy and disgusting. It was not until I was an adult and had it fresh and roasted that I realized what a travesty it was that people served it canned and mushy. Lol.

I was the same way with carrots. I loved them raw but "hated" them cooked. Turns out I just hated them mushy.

I do not like sweet and savory mix. :sad2:

No fruit on my salad, raisins in my stuffing, compote on my brie, or pineapple on my pizza.

If a sauce or rub for a protein calls for sugar, I typically half the amount so sweet doesn't over power the meal.
I’m the same way & except for a few, I hate most fruits. I’d have to pass on the pp’s free vacations too if eating certain fruits were a stipulation,

My main issue with tomato is that I cannot tolerate it raw; it brings up blisters in my mouth. (Some other fruits with lots of citric acid will also do that if I eat them in quantity, but tomatoes must have some kind of special enzyme I react to, because with them it happens instantly, on the first bite.) It doesn't happen if the tomato is cooked first, but then I really cannot deal with the texture, which I find so repulsive it gags me. The only way any tomato is going down my gullet is in cooked liquid form.

Like a lot of people who have texture issues, I *love* my immersion blender. I've got a Kitchenaid with a lot of power -- that sucker can pretty much liquify anything except rocks. Broadened my diet immensely when I bought one. Now I can have things where flavor is good, but texture isn't; such as tomatoes, mushrooms, oysters, etc.

I *love* organ meats and pretty much any seafoods, with the exception of scallops, which I appear to be mildly allergic to.

When it comes to unfamiliar foods, my nose is my guide; if it smells good to me, then I'll try it; if I find the odor off-putting, then I know better than to try. For that reason, I do not eat cruciferous veggies, either raw or cooked. (Yes, I am fully able to detect that raw-sewage smell without cooking broccoli. It's still there for me, so inescapable I won't allow the stuff into my home, because I'll be smelling it for a month. In fact, if it came right down to it and you gave me a choice of living with the smell of actual sewage vs. the smell of cooked broccoli, I'd choose to smell the sewage.)

Also, for some reason, quinoa, all properly washed and all, makes me ill. I can eat it, but I end up queasy for hours afterward. That's a shame, because I'd love to be able to eat a "faux grain" that contained almost no carbs.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter