Splash Mountain changing to Princess and the Frog?

I grew up with the Brer Rabbit stories from the Wonderful World of Reading book series. I read them to my kids now and we love Splash Mountain. I've never watched Song of the South but I understand that there is only so much that can be done to distance Brer Rabbit and Co. from the film. It's unfortunate and I am disappointed.
That being said I don't see how I have a right to complain that something that is offensive to guests is being changed. I'll miss seeing Brer Rabbit hopping along on Splash Mountain but my kids probably won't care and in time I'm sure I won't either.
There are issues with other attractions at WDW and from what I've read they are going to be addressed.
When I'm at WDW it feels safe, happy and magical. If a few changes are going to allow more people to feel that way I'm all for it.

Well I guess since you know “a black guy” I guess that makes you the authority on what is and isn’t offensive to certain ethnic groups.

It absolutely is identity politics and I think it’s ok for some things to change. We shouldn’t have to have a ride anymore at WDW based on a fringe movie from decades ago that has been kept in the vault because of how outrageous it’s depictions of black people are. Princess and the frog is awesome, more kids know it and the characters and as some have suggested on this thread, the drop at the end will still be there...

Sorry this response is so late, but this has bothered me for a while, you stated: "because of how outrageous it's depictions of black people are." Not sure what you're talking about. The movie was a very accurate depiction of many (not all) but many in the rural South during the early to mid 20th century. Now, there maybe people ashamed or embarrassed of history, but the depiction by Walt Disney was accurate. Like I said, I agree that Disney needed to take the movie out of circulation, but that doesn't change the fact that the ride has absolutely noting to do with the movie's storyline, or human characters and I've never heard anyone, other than a few on the Dis and this board put the two together or say that it's problematic.

Last edited:
Sorry this response is so late, but this has bothered me for a while, you stated: "because of how outrageous it's depictions of black people are." Not sure what you're talking about. The movie was a very accurate depiction of many not (all) but many in rural southern America during the early to mid 20th century. Now, there maybe people ashamed or embarrassed of history, but the depiction by Walt Disney was accurate. Like I said, I agree that Disney needed to take the movie out of circulation, but that doesn't change the fact that the ride has absolutely noting to do with the movie's storyline, or human characters and I've never heard anyone, other than a few on the Dis and this board put the two together or say that it's problematic.

As well, Uncle Remus is the protagonist in the move. He is the hero.

Huh? Have any of you seen Song of the South? I just watched it again and see nothing racist. Let’s talk about the main concerns in the movie. The movie depicts “happy slaves‘. -no it does not. The events of the movie take place after the war. Historically, former slaves were freed but had nothing. Some may have stayed as servants, not slaves, to still work farms and plantations. The movie Showcases that scenario. 2- the use of the story of the Tar Baby. Today that term is derogatory and racist. But in the past it meant getting oneself in a difficult or sticky situation. Hence Bret Rabbit gets stuck in the tar baby. 3- speech. This one is tough as again if we go back to the 1800’s southern speech for uneducated people, both white and black, was not our ‘eloquent‘ pattern of speech today. Posotive aspects of the film- little Johnnys parents were separating as father went back to Atlanta, leaving Johnny and mom with grandma. Johnny needed a friend and found 3 with poor little Jenny, Toby and of course Uncle Remus. Through emotional and physical trials, Johnny learns valuable lessons from the Brer Rabbit stories. By the end of the film we see Johnny singing and walking hand in hand with his 3 best friends. This film being Released at a time when racism was strong in America.
oK that’s the film. Let’s discuss the ride. The ride is based on the Briar patch critters. They Are based on the stories from Joel Chandler Harris, who collected these stories in the late 1800’s and had them published. The original stories are based on African folklore, much like American folklore stories of Paul Bunyan or Pecos Bill. These stories were later included in the Song of the South film and then later into a flume ride in DL and WDW. The ride does not show anything about Johnny, his grandmother, Toby, Jenny or even Uncle Remus. Therefore the attraction is based solely on the stories themselves.

i get that rides need to change. I’m ok with that. I miss other favorites like MrToad as it was in WDW. I will miss Splash Mountain with its colorful themes, music, story telling and yes the drop at the end. I figure the ride will be basically the same with new theming. But change it because you want to change it, not due to pressure from a group of people, white, black, red, yellow, green, whatever, who have never seen the movie, formed an accurate depiction and came to their own conclusions rather than what someone told them. Do not even listen to me! Learn about it yourself, then and only then will you see whether or not this ride should give in to those who have not thought things through.

Pete Warner- I usually agree with many of your observations and criticisms both good and bad but in this case, shame on you Pete Warner for saying that the film is racist. When did you see it last?

Very well written. Unfortunately, when you talk truth and facts on this board, you're going to get crickets, because it doesn't fit with the popular narrative.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter