Split stay at Riviera and GF

terpgirl

Retired homeschooler
I’m looking to do a split stay at the Riviera and Grand Floridian in April 2021 for our 25th anniversary/my birthday. Which order would you recommend? We’ve been members for 20+ years, but have never done a split stay and have not stayed at either resort. Kind of a dream trip. Thoughts?

While I haven’t done that specific split, I prefer MK area first, then Epcot/DHS area second. Poly/YC is a frequent split for us, and we much prefer it in that order.

Hard to articulate why... much of it is that we tend to want to hit MK first so like to be in that area for a bit. Then later in the trip we enjoy the walkable (or in your case, via Skyliner) amenities/dining options/parks when staying in that area. Also more of a chance to wind down towards the end of your vacation.

I haven’t stayed at Riv yet, only visited, but a GF/Riv split for a big trip like a 25th anniversary sounds great to me!

I think it really depends on how you want to tour the parks. As GADisneyDad14 stated, if you want to go to MK first, I would start at GF. I would probably do AK from there as well as, with either resort, you will need to take a bus to AK. Once you get to RIV, you can then just focus on DHS and EP.

We've stayed at both (GF, VGF and RIV) and, IMHO, as an overall resort, VGF/GF wins. The rooms at VGF are the nicest on property, IMHO. The view from the resort is amazing and you have a ton of restaurant choices, not to mention the monorail and the upcoming walking path to MK. RIVs rooms come in a close second to VGF's - fantastic layout, very comfortable and well-appointed. RIV felt a little isolated, though (even with the Skyliner) and there aren't as many dining choices unless you want to walk to CBR or take the Skyliner to the EP resort area. There is definitely no right or wrong way to order the resorts for your trip. I would definitely consider your touring plan and what kind of atmosphere you would like to start and end your trip with.

If you normally like to start at MK, the do GF 1st. If you like to start at EP or HS start with Riv.

If you don't care which park is 1st, then start with Riv and do EP and HS while staying in that area, then move to GF and do MK and AK. Both are very nice but still different experiences ( Riv is smaller and you don't get those castle views ) and I think GF has a tad bit of an edge with location.

I tend to do Epcot area first and then MK since we usually do less there now but have done it the other way. This year, most of my trips are reversed because of what I could book via DVC.

Honestly I have Enjoyed it both ways. ,

We like to finish at an MK area resort as, for us, that’s where the true Disney feel and magic comes in. Not that we don’t love the rest of it. We do. But nothing brings it home like the seeing the castle across 7 Seas Lagoon with the monorail zipping by.

I would tend to stay at the Riviera first if you're celebrating your anniversary. You will have more to do in that area for celebration then you could relax at the Grand for your last few days. The Riviera is just beautiful. I'm jealous i have to wait until a year from next month. Congratulations and Happy Birthday early.

Have a GREAT time celebrating your anniversary and birthday. You have booked two great resorts. I don't think you can go wrong either way no matter which you stay first. However, I would suggest some spa time at Senses when you are at the Grand. We often enjoy a down day with an early morning walk and workout followed by spa treatments, time for r and r, and then a before dinner cocktail and appetizer at one place and dinner at another. (We like Narcoossee's and then take the monorail to California Grill. We have also done Victoria and Alberts but that was a one time "treat" to date.)

I am sure that either way will be good. If you are booking at 7 months, which would be harder to get? So check availability the day before so you have an idea.

Thank you all for your input! I was able to secure a 10 day split stay with a Riviera preferred view studio first and then a GF lake view studio. I am beyond thrilled. I am open to any suggestions on how to make it extra magical as it is likely I won’t be able to score this ever again. 😂 We’ll probably have 2 non-park days (pool, resort hopping, etc ). Other suggestions?

I love both resorts and they both have a "fancy" / special feel to them. I think they will both feel magical so you can do any order! I personally love looking at the castle from the resort so I would probably book the GF second knowing that I would want to end the trip being near the fireworks, MK (if fireworks are happening again anyway)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter