Split Stay - deposits for package

slyster

DIS Veteran
I haven’t made any reservations yet, but I’m seriously considering a split stay between AKL and BWI next September. If I remember correctly, is it a $200 per person deposit? I’m assuming it would $200 per person PER resort reservation. Can someone confirm that?

Also, we are buying tickets and the Disney dining plan. Any tips in how I should do a package? I’m really hoping next year that they offer a free dining plan. Based on previous free dining offers, does anyone know if you have to reserve for a specific number of days? And if so, does that impact your split stay?

I hope I’m making sense. TIA!

And if so, does that impact your split stay?
No such thing as a split stay in the hotel industry. You have a resrvation, followed immediately by a separate reservation. There will likely be restrictions on a "free" dining package: minimum stay, ticket features, resort level... to

If free dining were available, someone wanting to stay at multiple resorts and wanting the discount for the entire visit would need to meet the conditions with each package.

Ok, how do split stays affect the dining reservation window and fast passes?

Each reservation is a separate reservation. Just reserve based on the start date of each reservation, except: if your first stay is less than ten nights, you can still book 180+10 for dining; and I think FP is based on the number of park entrances on your ticket combined with the number of days your ticket is valid.b

But the Theme Parks Advice and Strategies forum is your best source for FP information.

Each reservation is a separate reservation. Just reserve based on the start date of each reservation, except: if your first stay is less than ten nights, you can still book 180+10 for dining; and I think FP is based on the number of park entrances on your ticket combined with the number of days your ticket is valid.b

But the Theme Parks Advice and Strategies forum is your best source for FP information.
Okay thanks for that information. I’ll be sure to check that out.

Just reserve based on the start date of each reservation, except: if your first stay is less than ten nights, you can still book 180+10 for dining;

I may be misunderstanding what you're saying here. But unless things have changed very recently, ADRs are 180+length of stay, up to 10. So even if the first stay is less than 10 days, someone with a split stay cannot make ADRs for the second stay until 180 days before that second check-in day.

ETA: I do believe I've read that DVC can make ADRs for both stays (up to a max of 10 days) at the first 180 mark. But I'm not the expert on that side.

Anybody staying onsite can make ADRs at 180+10, starting from their arrival date. You can be staying at one, two...five...nine...14 different resorts. That's why I provided the CAR timing in the section I prefaced "except" :)

Unfortunately, this changed a few years ago. It is technically 180+length-of-stay, up to 10 days. If someone has booked a 4-night onsite stay, for instance, they will not have access to 10 days of ADRs when their window opens. The dining reservation system does not recognize split stays.

Ok, how do split stays affect the dining reservation window and fast passes?

So this was my biggest disappointment with a split today you couldn’t book the dining all at once and your windows are shorter so it was harder to get some of the better places. There are some things that say that you can’t book your fast passes all at once but we were able to.

I think that's part of my concern. Is the split stay worth it in that respect? We will have to decide that. I am thinking split stays make things more complicated for obvious reasons, but I think I also want to book dining at one time. I have some time to think about it though. Thanks again....

does anyone know if you have to reserve for a specific number of days? And if so, does that impact your split stay?

There's a lot to consider with this question. The "free dining" makes a split stay more complicated.
  • First, for "free dining" you must buy tickets and pay rack rate on the room, and recently the memory maker has been a requirement. I believe the past couple of years, it has required a Park Hopper ticket, not a base ticket. I'm not sure about minimum days, but I don't think you can book "free dining" for just one night and it may be a longer minimum.
  • However, each stay is a separate package. The dining from the first package will expire at midnight on check-out day. I believe ALL dining entitlements from the first package must be used (or lost) before you can access any dining entitlements on the second package. So if you were hoping to do some signature dining meals, you'd have to plan appropriately. Also, use up all snack credits.
  • Tickets are the real issue that usually make people NOT do free dining on both/all parts of a split stay. You have to buy tickets with each stay. WDW ticket prices are "front-loaded" so to speak, with the first few days the most expensive; once you get past 5 days it's relatively cheap to add another day. So for a 4+4 split, you are buying 2 separate 4-day tickets instead of an 8 day ticket that likely costs less. I just picked a random week next Sept. and a 4-day ticket is ~$518 x2 = $1036, while an 8-day ticket for the same time is only $567.
    • You could buy the 8-day ticket with the first package for use during the entire stay, and buy a minimum ticket (maybe a 2-day) with the 2nd package to save for a later trip. But that gets messy later when trying to upgrade an expired ticket and booking FP+ or you decide you want a package, etc.
ADRs cannot be booked across a split stay. FP+ can.

Enjoy your vacation!

There's a lot to consider with this question. The "free dining" makes a split stay more complicated.
  • First, for "free dining" you must buy tickets and pay rack rate on the room, and recently the memory maker has been a requirement. I believe the past couple of years, it has required a Park Hopper ticket, not a base ticket. I'm not sure about minimum days, but I don't think you can book "free dining" for just one night and it may be a longer minimum.
  • However, each stay is a separate package. The dining from the first package will expire at midnight on check-out day. I believe ALL dining entitlements from the first package must be used (or lost) before you can access any dining entitlements on the second package. So if you were hoping to do some signature dining meals, you'd have to plan appropriately. Also, use up all snack credits.
  • Tickets are the real issue that usually make people NOT do free dining on both/all parts of a split stay. You have to buy tickets with each stay. WDW ticket prices are "front-loaded" so to speak, with the first few days the most expensive; once you get past 5 days it's relatively cheap to add another day. So for a 4+4 split, you are buying 2 separate 4-day tickets instead of an 8 day ticket that likely costs less. I just picked a random week next Sept. and a 4-day ticket is ~$518 x2 = $1036, while an 8-day ticket for the same time is only $567.
    • You could buy the 8-day ticket with the first package for use during the entire stay, and buy a minimum ticket (maybe a 2-day) with the 2nd package to save for a later trip. But that gets messy later when trying to upgrade an expired ticket and booking FP+ or you decide you want a package, etc.
ADRs cannot be booked across a split stay. FP+ can.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you...that was very helpful. You broke out in a way that lets me see each aspect of the package. I called today and just reserved AKL for all 7 days. The CSR was very helpful too. She told me highly likely the free dining offer would be coming for the dates I want to stay and that a park hopper would most likely be required as it has been for a while. She also said that deluxe resorts have gotten the free dining plan while the moderate and values have gotten quick dining. That was news to me too. The last time I was there, I stayed at POFQ and we got the free dining with it. Anyway, thanks again!

Just for clarification, memory maker is not a requirement for free dining. Park hoppers are though. I believe the stay requirement was 5 nights for the last free dining that was offered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter