Split stay in October - off and on site

disneymoon0606 2.0

Earning My Ears
We just finalized our trip plans for the middle of October. We're doing several nights off-site (timeshare condo my parents have) followed by four nights at AKV (renting DVC points). I'd love help thinking through some things. It will be DH and I, my parents, and our three kids ages 5, 9, and 11.

1. FP+: I understand I'll be able to book FP+ for the AKF days at 60 days in advance, and 30 days in advance for our off-site stay. Is there a good strategy for which ones I should try to book for each of those? We don't have a lot of thrill seekers, but we'd like to do things like 7DMT. We have been to Disneyland quite a bit so don't really need to do similar rides.

2. Magicbands: Will we be able to use the magicbands we get with our AKV stay BEFORE we check in to AKV? Our days at the parks will begin on a Wednesday but we don't check into AKV until Sunday.

3. Magical Express: We'll be renting a car for our first days while we're off-site, but would like to return it and just use the Disney bus system. When we return the rental car can we take Disney Magical Express back to AKV? If so, how do we arrange that since we won't just be coming in on a flight?

Is there anything else we should consider for a split stay like this? It's been years since we've been to WDW and things sure have changed! Thanks!

2. Magicbands: Will we be able to use the magicbands we get with our AKV stay BEFORE we check in to AKV? Our days at the parks will begin on a Wednesday but we don't check into AKV until Sunday.

Yes, I believe, as long as you link your tickets to the magic bands, you can use them at the parks on the days before you check in to Animal Kingdom. As far as which Fast passes at the 60 day mark, usually the newest rides book up the most. I'll leave others to be more specific.

3. Magical Express: We'll be renting a car for our first days while we're off-site, but would like to return it and just use the Disney bus system. When we return the rental car can we take Disney Magical Express back to AKV? If so, how do we arrange that since we won't just be coming in on a flight?

Yes, you can return the rental car to MCO and take Magical Express (I would send just one person to the airport with the car) Go on line and find a flight that arrives around the time you want the Magical express and tell them that's the flight you're on. And when they ask about luggage, tell them you don't have any.

However a better plan is to return the car "locally". Most car rental agencies have locations at or near WDW (Alamo has a location on site). Where are you staying during your off site time? When you book your car rental do pick up at MCO and drop off at Lake Buena Vista As you peruse through the options, look for locations on Hotel Plaza Boulevard That will get you one of the Disney Springs Hotel where you could drop off the car, walk to Disney Springs and take the bus to the resort. Again, I would suggest that you drop everyone at the hotel and one person take the car back. Be sure to verify (by mapping the location) where the car return is. If you are able to drop the car at Alamo Car care center on Disney, I believe they provide bus transportation.

1. FP+: I understand I'll be able to book FP+ for the AKF days at 60 days in advance, and 30 days in advance for our off-site stay. Is there a good strategy for which ones I should try to book for each of those? We don't have a lot of thrill seekers, but we'd like to do things like 7DMT. We have been to Disneyland quite a bit so don't really need to do similar rides.

The newest rides to have opened are always the hardest for FP+. I would target those first.

Good luck!
enjoy your stay!
Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter