Split stay. When does the dining plan activate?

Shellbells

DIS Veteran
We are doing a split stay and we have the dining plan on our 2nd stay. We plan on leaving the first resort and going straight to a park. Do we have to physically go to the 2nd resort to check in so the plan activates? I am doing online check in. If that's good enough do you know what time it will activate?

It is supposed to activate first thing on the day you check in for your dining plan stay. That's not always the case. What some have reported as helping is doing online check-in, and choosing the earliest check-in time available.

Worst case scenario...you can charge your meals/snacks back to your room, then get it settled when you get back to your resort.

My read of the plan is that it will be only active during the days of your 2nd stay. So you’ll be able to use it after your last night of your 1st stay for breakfast at the earliest.

I'm hoping to be able to use it for lunch at our 12:30 ADR for 50's. If it's not active we can pay oop. We have two extra TS planned over the week anyway and this one would probably be ok to oop. I need to do the math though.

Correct. We are paying oop for the first 2 nights. It was after we do the switch that I wondered when it would activate

Ours didn't activate automatically when our 2nd stay started with the DDP. We were up early to RP AK and wanted breakfast. We made a quick stop at the check-in desk. They were able to check-in to the next hotel for us and activate the plan.

Ours didn't activate automatically when our 2nd stay started with the DDP. We were up early to RP AK and wanted breakfast. We made a quick stop at the check-in desk. They were able to check-in to the next hotel for us and activate the plan.

I just want to make sure I understand. You were able to check in for your 2nd resort at your 1st?
That would be fantastic if we could do that.

I'm hoping to be able to use it for lunch at our 12:30 ADR for 50's.

You will be fine. I always fly in around 9:30am and do online checkin for 10:30am arival. I never have to go to the desk, just right to the park and wait for the text with my room number. I always book a lunch around 11:30 - 12 and have never had an issue using my band. Probably best to do online checkin at 2nd for an early morning hour arrival even if you dont plan to arrive that early.

I just want to make sure I understand. You were able to check in for your 2nd resort at your 1st?
That would be fantastic if we could do that.
Yes. This is what happened at AKL . Our second resort was YC. We did online check-in way ahead of time. When I asked at the desk, the CM scanned our bands and said he could check us in.

We are doing a split stay and we have the dining plan on our 2nd stay. We plan on leaving the first resort and going straight to a park. Do we have to physically go to the 2nd resort to check in so the plan activates? I am doing online check in. If that's good enough do you know what time it will activate?
I had this problem in July. Best thing to do is stop at Resort for your 2nd stay and check-in. Make sure your credit card is linked for dining plan so all transactions go through smoothly. You will NOT be able to check-in at another resort for your 2nd stay.
If for some reason you don’t make it to the 2nd Resort before your meal, ask the cast member to charge it to your 2nd room. When you get to your 2nd Resort, stop by the front desk so they can delete the charges made and take the credits off your dining plan. It doesn’t matter which Resort (1st or 2nd) they charge it to...the front desk will be able to straighten it out for you.
100% make sure the front desk links your credit card to your room for the dining plan.
I spent a lot of time in Guest Relations in Disney Springs bc my Resort forgot to do this.
If you have any more questions, I will be happy to answer them for you. I learned a lot that day.

I have so far not had to go to the second resort to get the DDP activated. Both times I had already gotten a room ready text for the second resort before I left the first, though, not sure if that matters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!