Split Stay-which resort to book upgraded view?

jmw33

Mouseketeer
We are getting ready to book our August trip. Going to do a split stay between GFV and RIV. We only have enough points to book a preferred view at one of the resorts. Advice on whether I should book a lake view at GF which would give us a standard view at Riv or should I do a standard view at GF and preferred view at RIV? I am assuming both of my options will be available of course. My initial thought is a standard view at GF. Just because the standard would be prettier than the standard at RIV....

I agree - the potential for really nice standard (and fireworks) views is at both, but if you get a preferred view at RIV, you will have a view of HS fireworks, most likely EP fireworks, the Skyliner, *and* the whole CBR and lake, which is actually beautiful (don't listen to the people who claim that looking at a moderate resort is somehow demeaning). As long as you are not in VGF 1221 (a studio, standard view - google it, it's bad) a VGF standard view gets you some combination of monorail, MK fireworks, and lake.

I loved our standard view at RIV. We were on the 7th floor and had an amazing view of Spaceship Earth. Our standard view at VGF was just ok.

I loved our standard view at RIV. We were on the 7th floor and had an amazing view of Spaceship Earth. Our standard view at VGF was just ok.
We did a split stay over Xmas and NY lats month in VGF/RIV standard. Our VGF standard was on the 4th floor and had crazy amazing fireworks views; on the MVMCP and (I think?) Christmas itself it was the extra big fireworks show. When we were RIV, we were also on the 7th floor with a great view of Spaceship Earth. On 12/30 we went to the early New Years' Eve fireworks at MK (it was worth the long bus ride and the crowds), and on 12/31 we saw the MK fireworks again, at midnight, from our room. Both views and fireworks were spectacular, and I now need to adjust my expectations because I am not sure we will ever get that lucky again!

It's going to be a challenge and will probably depend on availability. Most August nights at Riviera for standard views seem to be already gone and you may even have trouble getting a preferred view studio. Doesn't look a lot more promising at GFV, either. Good luck!

We did a split stay over Xmas and NY lats month in VGF/RIV standard. Our VGF standard was on the 4th floor and had crazy amazing fireworks views; on the MVMCP and (I think?) Christmas itself it was the extra big fireworks show. When we were RIV, we were also on the 7th floor with a great view of Spaceship Earth. On 12/30 we went to the early New Years' Eve fireworks at MK (it was worth the long bus ride and the crowds), and on 12/31 we saw the MK fireworks again, at midnight, from our room. Both views and fireworks were spectacular, and I now need to adjust my expectations because I am not sure we will ever get that lucky again!
You were lucky with your VGF standard! I’ve never been anywhere near seeing fireworks! Good for you!

Last edited:
It's going to be a challenge and will probably depend on availability. Most August nights at Riviera for standard views seem to be already gone and you may even have trouble getting a preferred view studio. Doesn't look a lot more promising at GFV, either. Good luck!
We are going for a 1 bedroom. I'm seeing full availability so far...fingers crossed!

We've gotten standard at GFV both times we stayed there (in a one bedroom villa) at seven months out (early May). First time we had a view of the themed pool and the monorail. Second time we had the wedding pavilion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!