Spring Break 2019

Sorcerer Jody

Mouseketeer
Hi there! I am a teacher and so can only take vacations during school breaks. Are the crowds at Spring Break really that horrible? Worse than Christmas or the busiest days of summer? Might Spring Break 2019 be less crowded because many people might want to wait to see Star Wars Land in the summer? Wondering if I'm crazy to consider it with my 9 & 10 year olds...

I’d go when you can go. Spring break crowds are crazy. As long as you’re not bringing someone with Sensory processing disorder or autism i think you’ll be ok. We had 5 days in the parks. Our 4 days were amazing. Monday...boom! Sardines. We did one ride, food and had to leave with our preschooler with SPD.

Spring Break will indeed be very busy. Many people are trying to visit before the opening of SWGE. But there are pros and cons to that. Cons are obvious -- busy = crowded. But the pros are worth considering: Spring Break crowds mean that Disney will be operating on peak scheduling, i.e. longer hours, fuller staffing, most/all rides running at full capacity, restaurants running with more staff and longer hours, full nighttime entertainment schedule, etc. These things can make a big difference in how the parks handle the crowds and how the crowds feel to you. Crowded parks scheduled and staffed to handle the all those people really run much more smoothly than the same parks with moderate crowds and less staffing, less entertainment, and fewer rides running. If Spring Break is the time that works best for your and your family's schedule, go for it! Do your research here (ask any and all questions! study up on FP/MP), make your plans and reservations (TS and dining plan reservations open 60 days in advance, usually, so know what you want and book when the times open), then get ready to relax and go with the flow! Let the magic happen and you'll have a great trip!

Thank you for that information - I appreciate it! Do you think Jan. 1 - 5th be comparable to Spring Break in terms of crowds?

Yes, the first week of Jan. will also be very crowded. Holiday Time will end Jan. 6th, so there will be many people squeezing in a trip to see the decorations and ride overlays before the end of the season. But the same principle stated above applies for these dates: there are pros and cons to a peak crowd time. With good planning, lots of patience, and a positive attitude, you can still have a great trip.

We went for spring break 2018 (my wife is a counselor at a high school so that dictates vacations).

The parks were definitely busy but we got in early, used MaxPass and took breaks in the afternoons when the parks were really slammed. During our trip that was about noon to five.

Have fun!

What are the dates of the spring break you are referring to? For instance I'm in AZ and our spring break is 03/11 - 03/26. I know CA is in April.

Ok so I know everyone says spring break is always crazy but in 2017 we went the weekend before Easter and felt the crowds were the lightest we’d experienced in awhile! Our park days were Saturday and Sunday so we had prepared for crowds but were pleasantly surprised when they weren’t there.

My guess is that Spring Break isn't as busy as Jan 1 to 5 because Spring Break is more spread out. Spring Break is more a "season" at DLR because spring breaks span from mid-March through mid-April (not all school tie in to Easter anymore - you can get a sense of when the 2018 spring breaks occurred for several west coast school districts in this post). So depending on when your Spring Break is, you might actually find the crowds manageable. My guess is that the peak of spring break next year is going to be early April (first two weeks) because that's when the AP blockout is in effect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter