Spring Break ideas for me and dd

aggiedog

DIS Veteran
Since we have such a well traveled group here, I thought I'd throw this out for ideas. I'll say this started with IcelandAir's flash sale. (I LOVE Iceland and have been twice in the last 2 years.) I could get to Iceland, from Texas, for $800. Sweet! I really thought I'd treat 15 yo dd and take her with me for spring break. But...I'm having a total knee replacement in December and I don't think Iceland is the place to go just a few months later. Too much ice and chance for slipping, etc. I've been in March before and even Reykjavik has lots of ice on the sidewalks, etc.

We're not city people for cities per se, but we have had great trips to Paris, Copenhagen, etc. I don't have to fly across the ocean though, and we'd lose fewer days to travel if we stayed in North or South America.

Money is an issue, as my twins start college next week. I don't need hostels, but an ABD is not an option.

Any suggestions?

Costa Rica is lovely. They accept the US dollar in most major tourist destinations. You can eat well for very little, or you can spend loads. You have tons of options. Once you're outside San Jose, the country is much like walking through a nature video. You can be as active or as sedentary as you want for most parts of the country.

Maybe a cruise? Not necessarily DCL (although that's always my bias :)), and both Royal and Carnival leave out of Galveston (not sure where you are in Tx).

Are there parts of ABDs in North America that look interesting to you such as the Grand Canyon, Baniff, etc? Maybe you could build your own itinerary that takes the parts you like and leave the rest.

Canada is great to explore-the Vancouver/Victoria area is beautiful and I have been quite happy merely spa-ing it there. Montreal and Quebec City are both very interesting, especially with a little more French influence. My friend and her daughter went on an Anne of Green Gables trip to PEI and had a wonderful time this summer (I realize you're traveling in March so the weather might not be cooperative).

Does DD(15) have a specific interest such as film, astronomy, etc? Maybe do something that focuses on that (Hollywood, NYC, Area 51...)

Anyhoo, congrats on having 2 in college (hopefully A&M!). I hope I see that day (DD is a junior in hs, sigh...).

Disney world has always been our "default" Spring Break destination till both kids finished school.

Well, since you're in Texas, you don't need warmth. :) Honestly, someplace with a gorgeous spa would probably be a great break for you guys, and really help with the knee!

Sayhello

Thanks for the great ideas! Yes, we don't need warm coming from Texas, and yes, they'll be Aggies. Whoop! Class of '90 myself.

I think Montreal or Quebec would be fun too, though brisk in March. I'm actually thinking about doing Yellowstone this summer with the family. Spa trip sounds good, but I think dd might get bored. She likes travel, and food. Not into serious shopping, She likes Dungeons and Dragons, Harry Potter, and various nerd things. Short of a trip to London, I'm having a hard time working that into a trip. Universal Studios HP would be fun, but I'm not sure my knee would be up to the average 8 miles/day we do at parks. LOL

We like to cruise for the ports, but I've decided I'm not a cruiser for cruising's sake. Could be the 9 years I spend in the Navy and 2 years on a ship. The whole ship in the ocean thing is definitely NOT a novelty for me!

Hawaii? Not far from Tx but always seems like you are in another country...

Hm. I see what you mean about Iceland. I love it too, but it's not a particularly handicapped accessible place.

I would suggest Rome and Venice, which would be glorious in spring, but that may be harder in your knee than Iceland. Any interest in Germany? Like the fairy tale road? Great transit, pretty easy to get around. Maybe weather wouldn't be the best, though.

Japan if the tickets are cheap enough? Great hostels, cheap and incredibly clean budget hotels, spring would be a good time to go. Lots of walking but much much more accessible and injury friendly than Rome. And of course Disney!

You lose a day going there and gain a day coming back, so it evens out in the end, and the jet lag is not quite as brutal as going to Europe.

If sidewalk ice is a concern, I would veto Canada. There's definitely a good chance of snow in March.

In the US, how about a desert location to give you some variety from Texas. Sedona and Palm Spings are both good relaxation spots. You could also do a California coast road trip.

We went to Costa Rica this year and it was great as mentioned above. We had a 4 year old, so didn't do anything too crazy and still had fun. You do need to be able to walk on uneven surfaces though.

they'll be Aggies. Whoop! Class of '90 myself.

Class of '92 (undergrad) and '95 (med school-impatient and poor so skipped my senior year)-whoop!

Could be the 9 years I spend in the Navy and 2 years on a ship

Fortunately the Navy didn't want me on a ship but I can see where it would lose its appeal. DH was with the Marines in 29 Palms for his GMO so camping and hiking are never an option (not that that bothers me a bit).

Unfortunately HP and the CC opens in late spring in NYC and tickets are going to be a challenge to get so no sure that would work, and of course the London performances are sold out in March.

Could you go to Universal and change your touring style (ie more pool time and less commando parks)?

Maybe pick a city that has reasonable flight fares and do food tours interspersed with Rest Time? I would imagine the wine country, NYC, Barcelona, Amsterdam would all have fun food tour offerings (I want to go to Belgium for frites and chocolate but no takers in my family :( ).

Good luck, I never know what my dd will want to do-we're dragging her on the Rhine River ABD this Christmas but figure that's the last family trip until we drive to college.

Ah, so many good choices! I'm hoping moderate walking won't be an issue, I'm just worried about falls (GGA, I sound 80!) We'll probably be at Universal in 2 years with the HS band trip, and I did look at the CC tickets but, whoa, way too rich for my blood.

Thanks everyone, I'll have much to ponder.

Have you considered Chile or Argentina? March would be late summer/early fall. If you go all the way south, maybe see the penguins - though that might be a little late. Look at Explora lodges for options. They have a Chile to Argentinia Patagonia trip that is definitely on my bucket list! The jet lag isn't horrible as the time change is only 2-3 hours. Let us know!

aggiedog, when you mentioned that your daughter is interested in food the first thing that popped into my mind was a river cruise. I'm not an ocean cruise fan either, but I love river cruises. We've done 2 and for both my DS and myself, dinner is one of the highlights. And you can choose the excursions that wouldn't be overtaxing to you knee. An ad for Viking popped up on my Facebook page this morning and they have a 2-for-1 offer with $295 airfare for a Rhine cruise and 2-for-1 with free airfare for Paris to the Swiss Alps. Both have sailings in March. I haven't sailed with Viking, but they have a good reputation. Uniworld also has a lot of discounts - early booking, pay in full, etc. - and if your a Costco member you get 10% off and a shipboard credit. They also have 1/2 price for anyone under 18, but I am not sure if that applies to all sailings or only the ones that are designated as multi-generational. I have traveled with them and our cruise was fantastic.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!