Squirrel Keeps Digging in My Planters

TimNDansMom

DIS Veteran
My planters will never do well if this darn black squirrel keeps digging in them! Sometimes I find a whole plant laying on top of the soil, othertimes there's just holes.

I tried putting some Critter Ridder in them but didn't have much left (use it to try to keep dogs off my front lawn) and was hesitant to put it so close to the plants. Of course it rained, so I don't know if it was useful or not.

Anyone have a tried and true method to keep them from digging in my planters. I guess this squirrel likes the soft earth.

Hey Julie babe! ;) :p :D

Darn squirrels, eh? So far this year they haven't been a problem for me, but last year...yikes! :eek:

I posted a thread about the sneaky little guys.......That little SOBT!!! last year (pardon the colourful language..lol). I used Debknight's suggestion and it worked out quite well! :)

Critter Ridder needs to be applied quite generously, and it won't hurt your flowers.

:)

LOL, Kim! ;)

What a mess you had last year. I think I missed that thread!

The decorative stones sounds like an excellent idea. I think I'll go buy a bag of lava rocks and lay them in the pots. Those are real coarse and should certainly deter that pesky varmint! :teeth:

Thanks! :)

Give the little critter something to eat.. Put a little bird food where he is digging.. Mix with the bird food Crushed Red Pepper.. It will kick it up a notch for the squirrel, but dont worry about the birds red pepper doesnt bother them.

I know it may sound weird, but what if you put alot of egg shells surrounding your planter. Maybe the squirrls will get scared of the crackling noise and feeling of it. You could also try putting some of the foam popcorn.
Just a thought, we don't have squirrls here.

I'am having the same problem here. Hope we find help soon--

The "Squirrel Away" or hot red pepper mixed with seed works wonders. When I saw the shock the squirrel got I actually felt bad for a moment. It doesn't hurt the squirrel though which is good.

I have a serious squirrel problem here! I have been "live trapping" them using peanut butter. I then take them to the woods up the street, but I swear they are beating me home! I watch the traps closely and as soon as I get one off we go!! If anyone saw the movie "Rat Race" you could compare me to the "squirrel for sale" lady!!:sunny:

I LOVE this Flower board! I don't know why I've never come here before, because gardening is my favorite hobby (after catching squirrels, of course)!:bounce: Yea!! I've been tagged!:bounce:

We have lots of squirrels and they seemed to love to get into my big planters on the back porch. I bought a squirrel feeder and placed it way on the other side of the yard. Now all the squirrels congregate in that area to eat and bury food for later. They are no longer interested in digging in my planters. :-)

A good way to keep squirrels from digging in planter boxes is to place a strip of chicken wire cut to fit on top of the box, or just below the soil. This is much easier to to when starting from seed but holes can be cut out to work potted plants through. The chicken wire is very uncomfortable to try to dig through and the plants won't mind a bit. I might add that this works well in the landscape to keep skunks and moles from digging for grubs in your beds.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one battling a pesky squirrel and there's some great ideas that have been posted too!

I couldn't find large enough lava rocks so ended up with the large white marble stones. Not really the look I wanted but the plants are gradually covering them. I noticed the squirrel had still tried to dig in a couple of spots but hadn't been able to do nearly as much damage. I added some more rocks in those areas and I think he's finally lost interest. I think if he comes back I'll try the hot pepper and seed mix next.

Thanks again for all the great ideas! :)

LOL Mermaidsmom, are you winning the race?

Good ideas about the red pepper and the chicken wire. I'm going to try them.

One morning last week I found a bunny sitting in my rose garden. He had eaten my Peace rose down to the ground and some daylillles. After chasing him into the woods I applied Cridder Ridder heavily to the perimeter and around the bushes. The following morning it wasn't a bunny sitting in my rose garden eating but a big fat woodchuck who was not put off by the Cridder Ridder at all. I chased him away into the woods. Every few hours he came out of the woods sat up and looked around. The folowing morning he was in it again! He's eaten the daylillies and dahlias so far.
I have had it with the woodchucks!:badpc:

My little squirrel buddy has finally gotten the message,she says hopefully. I got tough~~I broke bamboo skewers in half and stuck them in my pots~~~sharp side down. So far he has not been back.

Originally posted by elmosmom
My little squirrel buddy has finally gotten the message,she says hopefully. I got tough~~I broke bamboo skewers in half and stuck them in my pots~~~sharp side down. So far he has not been back.

Wow, you mean business, Elmosmom!! ****y-trapped containers! :teeth: I hope it continues to work for you! :)

Hi Shrubber! :flower3: Good advice on the chicken wire! We've done that to protect bulbs we've planted. :)

Oh no, Deb!! :eek: Your rose, dahlias, and daylilies? I hope you can stop him (I'm assuming it's a he...lol), before he decimates your garden!! :(

*Oooops..lol...I've been censored! :crazy: :teeth:

Nothing to add except I am enjoying this thread and am glad I don't have squirrel/woodchuck/bunny problems. I think having a dog helps! :D

Good luck to you all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter